X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devon is BACK!!!

HUGE

Comment

Now if we can get Wilson to commit, we're set.

Comment

I figured that would be the case, but you never know. We would have been truly screwed if he didn't come back.

Comment

I tend to take an optimistic on most things, and KU basketball is one of them. Bill has his critics, some here and (predictably) a lot over on the Phog, but I believe he remains one of the very best coaches working today. One has to remember that he is ultimately from the Henry Iba coaching tree: stingy man to man flowing defense and methodical offense. Larry Brown added the flow to his offensive schemes and a lot of savvy. Dr. Allen had some of all of those characteristics. It may not be flashy but it is still effective in today's game. It does require patience and a lot of teaching. It is my hope that we evolve past this OAD philosophy and he gets back to doing what he does best: teaching and putting the pieces together with 3 star and 4 star players that are smart, coachable and stay around a while. It's Kansas basketball, and not only KU basketball (ie.g. Ralph Miller at WSU, Tex Winter at KSU) Meanwhile, we'll get to see some fine young men develop and improve. Those have always been the players we appreciate the most. That is my hope and expectation. We'll see if it happens.

If he adds one more piece, I think we could be scary good next year. The players he has have tested the waters and they WANT to be here. That is often a missing ingredient in the OAD era and it is a critical one. The team will develop slowly and, as always, we'll see a few warts early in the season as Bill breaks the colts and puts the pieces together. Next years team could be a joy to watch, and even if it isn't I will revel in the commitment that SDS and Devon have made to this program and be behind them all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteJak View Post
            I tend to take an optimistic on most things, and KU basketball is one of them. Bill has his critics, some here and (predictably) a lot over on the Phog, but I believe he remains one of the very best coaches working today. One has to remember that he is ultimately from the Henry Iba coaching tree: stingy man to man flowing defense and methodical offense. Larry Brown added the flow to his offensive schemes and a lot of savvy. Dr. Allen had some of all of those characteristics. It may not be flashy but it is still effective in today's game. It does require patience and a lot of teaching. It is my hope that we evolve past this OAD philosophy and he gets back to doing what he does best: teaching and putting the pieces together with 3 star and 4 star players that are smart, coachable and stay around a while. It's Kansas basketball, and not only KU basketball (ie.g. Ralph Miller at WSU, Tex Winter at KSU) Meanwhile, we'll get to see some fine young men develop and improve. Those have always been the players we appreciate the most. That is my hope and expectation. We'll see if it happens.

If he adds one more piece, I think we could be scary good next year. The players he has have tested the waters and they WANT to be here. That is often a missing ingredient in the OAD era and it is a critical one. The team will develop slowly and, as always, we'll see a few warts early in the season as Bill breaks the colts and puts the pieces together. Next years team could be a joy to watch, and even if it isn't I will revel in the commitment that SDS and Devon have made to this program and be behind them all the way.
            That last sentence sums up what everybody wants to see in a recruit when they come to KU, or any school for that matter. Make it so they don't want to leave so fast and enjoy the development process of their game. Big to both of those two for sticking around for another season.

Comment

Is there also any decent grad transfers left?

Comment

Devon. Devon likes his money. He makes a lot, they say.

Comment

Originally posted by qwertyu123 View Post
                  Is there also any decent grad transfers left?
                  I'd be curious to see if KU would go after Jaevin Cumberland from Oakland. He shot 40% from deep last year with a pretty heavy workload (10-15 shots a game). Also a really good foul shooter and can get to the line a little bit. The downsides are that he's only 6'3", only started one year and his competition wasn't great, but he'd fill a need. Tevin Mack could be another option if KU would prefer to go with someone a little bigger and experienced against high-major competition.

Otherwise I think they'll just pocket the scholly and hope they can fix Agbaji's stroke.

Comment

Working...
                  X