Fran

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fran

I have never been a complainer about the commentators. They all have their quirks and can be annoying in some fashion, but I give them the benefit of the doubt that they are trying to be impartial and doing their best. I can't say that about Fran anymore. Last night was just brutal. He was obviously pulling for TCU or against KU. 90% of his comments were directed like that. He capped it off with the "Eurostep" comment on the travel call where the dude blatantly took 3 fucking steps and that "if I were Jamie Dixon, I would have a major issue with some calls after watching film".

The officials did not play a factor in that game last night. It was a well called game, and frankly, I hardly even noticed the refs at all. That's the best compliment I can give an officiating crew.

Fran's stick is worn out. I even got to know Fran this past summer, and he is a wonderful guy. Awesome to hangout with and talk sports. No need to be the constant antagonist.

Originally posted by Hawker007 View Post
    I have never been a complainer about the commentators. They all have their quirks and can be annoying in some fashion, but I give them the benefit of the doubt that they are trying to be impartial and doing their best. I can't say that about Fran anymore. Last night was just brutal. He was obviously pulling for TCU or against KU. 90% of his comments were directed like that. He capped it off with the "Eurostep" comment on the travel call where the dude blatantly took 3 fucking steps and that "if I were Jamie Dixon, I would have a major issue with some calls after watching film".

The officials did not play a factor in that game last night. It was a well called game, and frankly, I hardly even noticed the refs at all. That's the best compliment I can give an officiating crew.

Fran's stick is worn out. I even got to know Fran this past summer, and he is a wonderful guy. Awesome to hangout with and talk sports. No need to be the constant antagonist.

If you know him, you can use that to get close to him...close enough to punch him in the face. Jayhawk Nation will thank you for it.

Comment

Originally posted by FrobozMumbar View Post

If you know him, you can use that to get close to him...close enough to punch him in the face. Jayhawk Nation will thank you for it.
      I approve of this violent part of the statement. And I con-cure with the "eurostep" comment. That was really blatant of him to show is bias when he shouldn't have any bias (or Bilas ) at all.

Comment

I used to really enjoy him. And frankly if he were bitching about things on both sides, I’d be fine. But he’s really gotten one-sided lately. It’s too bad, because he does love watching games in Allen, and he isn’t an idiot. But he seems to have an axe to grind. Maybe it’s just the fucking loony toons in our fan base keep blowing him up on Twitter and he’s reacting. Or hell, maybe they blow him up and that’s what ESPN wants. We aren’t as bad as BBN, but we have our fair share of imbeciles.

Comment

Originally posted by KUGDI View Post
          I used to really enjoy him. And frankly if he were bitching about things on both sides, I’d be fine. But he’s really gotten one-sided lately. It’s too bad, because he does love watching games in Allen, and he isn’t an idiot. But he seems to have an axe to grind. Maybe it’s just the fucking loony toons in our fan base keep blowing him up on Twitter and he’s reacting. Or hell, maybe they blow him up and that’s what ESPN wants. We aren’t as bad as BBN, but we have our fair share of imbeciles.
          Didn't Self turn his kid down for a walk-on position a while back? Maybe his axe grinding is personal.

Comment

It's not his job to be objective. He isn't a reporter. It's his job to amplify whatever the producers have deemed to be the most relevant storylines around the game.

Comment

Originally posted by NoPantsChico View Post
              It's not his job to be objective. He isn't a reporter. It's his job to amplify whatever the producers have deemed to be the most relevant storylines around the game.
              So Euro-steps and calls for the opposing coach to be pissed about the officiating (in a game that was not poorly officiated) have been deemed by the producers to be the most relevant storylines around the game?

Comment

Originally posted by FrobozMumbar View Post

So Euro-steps and calls for the opposing coach to be pissed about the officiating (in a game that was not poorly officiated) have been deemed by the producers to be the most relevant storylines around the game?
                Depends. Did he make a couple comments about it and move on or did he harp on it for 8 straight possessions like Bilas does?

Comment

#FFF

Comment

I've never really gotten these threads. I barely pay attention to announcers, and I don't really care about their opinions. That said, it's part of the color guy's job to elevate the drama and intrigue of the product. No need to get all sensitive about it.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyDisease View Post
                      I've never really gotten these threads. I barely pay attention to announcers, and I don't really care about their opinions. That said, it's part of the color guy's job to elevate the drama and intrigue of the product. No need to get all sensitive about it.
                      Yeah, I try to understand and still can't. Why would anyone care about the impartiality of the announcers? It couldn't possibly matter less to me.

And of course people are going to be excited when the underdog (i.e. not Kansas) does well.

Comment

Ya, I get it and have felt the same way all my life...until this last game. Fran finally pushed me over the edge this last game with his one-sidedness and flat out biased/incorrect takes on the game.

Comment

When (if) you listen to symphony music, do you ignore the violins? Or another way of saying it would be if you were listening to it, and the violin section was way out of tune and missing their notes, how would you feel about that experience? Especially if you were paying for it.

For most, the play-by-play & color persons are a part of the whole entertainment package that most of us pay for (excluding those of you stealing the content). Fran is incongruous with the actual game, and inconsistent in his criticisms. And that bothers a lot of people. Does that help you understand why people can't stand certain announcers, especially Fran lately?

Some of it is over the top though. Fran isn't the Satan come to test your fanhood. He isn't Shiva the Destroyer, come to ruin Kansas basketball. The stuff I occasionally see on Twitter directed at him is disgusting.

An idea that just occurred to me. Perhaps, if we want to make changes, we should organize people to praise the parts of a broadcast we liked. If you want him to be a homer, when he says "is there anyone better than Bill Self coming out of a timeout" reference that and @ him on Twitter praising him. Positive reinforcement and all that. Also, I guarantee they monitor the types or responses they get on Twitter and push to get more of whatever is coming in.

Comment

Originally posted by KUGDI View Post
                            An idea that just occurred to me. Perhaps, if we want to make changes, we should organize people to praise the parts of a broadcast we liked. If you want him to be a homer, when he says "is there anyone better than Bill Self coming out of a timeout" reference that and @ him on Twitter praising him. Positive reinforcement and all that. Also, I guarantee they monitor the types or responses they get on Twitter and push to get more of whatever is coming in.

Oooooor...the students could just organize a loud and non-stop "Fuck You, Fran!" all game, every game that can be picked up on TV, and force the network to make a change on who calls our games. Tomato, potato.

Comment

Nobody ever says po-tah-toe

Comment

Working...
                              X