Going thru Lawson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going thru Lawson

I think if we are going to play through Lawson, we need to abandon trying to throw the ball into him. He isn't athletic enough or big enough to catch all the entry passes. It also gives the defense plenty of time to bring in a help defender. Makes for lots of turnovers. Would prefer him to dribble drive and or have the guards drive and dump it off. Let him be the high in the high-lo to McCormack (or dare I say bring in SDS).

Thoughts?

Lawson is a bit on the soft side. He makes up for that with his craftiness and overall skill, but we can't expect him to be a banger inside when we throw the ball down to him. If he gets a favorable matchup down low, then we can milk it. If the other team has a true big man, not gonna happen. McCormack down low with Lawson at the top of the hi-low should work pretty damn well. Lawson can hit it from mid-range pretty consistently, and has the ability to drive by many bigs.

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderHawk View Post
      Lawson is a bit on the soft side. He makes up for that with his craftiness and overall skill, but we can't expect him to be a banger inside when we throw the ball down to him. If he gets a favorable matchup down low, then we can milk it. If the other team has a true big man, not gonna happen. McCormack down low with Lawson at the top of the hi-low should work pretty damn well. Lawson can hit it from mid-range pretty consistently, and has the ability to drive by many bigs.
      That's my thinking too. Wonder what Self thinks.

Comment

With Doke out, Lawson is the team's best finisher at the rim. He just doesn't get there that often because he's been paired with Doke so much and actually has handles and a little bit of range. He's like a SuperPerry.

Comment

Originally posted by NoPantsChico View Post
          With Doke out, Lawson is the team's best finisher at the rim. He just doesn't get there that often because he's been paired with Doke so much and actually has handles and a little bit of range. He's like a SuperPerry.
          eh, Ellis was a better scorer. But Lawson is out of Perry's league when it comes to rebounding.

Comment

It had to be hard on this team constantly switching back and forth between a Doke anchored team and a Lawson anchored team. Lawson himself looked to have more than a little bit of difficulty finding his game when Doke was back. Hopefully the silver lining from Doke being out is that this team can concentrate on an offense designed around one main lineup now.

Comment

Running it through him and feeding him in the post isn’t the problem so much as we force it to him two passes in. Post play is a lot about positioning. Manning was a master teacher of that. The ball needs to swing around the perimeter a few times to move the defense so that Lawson can establish better position.

I do agree with running the high low with McCormack. He’s also shown he can hit the short jumper so those two could also somewhat switch throughout a possession to move the defense even more.

That should also free up some spacing for the guards.

The problem is who do you bring in off the bench for Dedric at that point?

Comment

Originally posted by KUGDI View Post

The problem is who do you bring in off the bench for Dedric at that point?
                Lightfoot.

Comment

Lightfoot.
                  SDS

Comment

Lightfoot.
                    Lol

Comment

Originally posted by WolfShirtSophomore View Post

SDS
                      +`1

Comment

#FreeDiallo

Comment

Lol
                          Well, yeah, but unless SDS is coming soon, that's what we have.

Comment

I hear you. And I think there is value for having Mitch play in a regular rotation with both players. But there’s a huge drop off unfortunately from Dedric to Mitch.

I dont know if its just coming in cold or whatever either. He was a much more reliable offensive presence last year. It might just be spacing. With Vick being our only reliable outside shooter, teams are collapsing to the paint. Maybe Mitch just can’t operate in traffic. Dunno.

Comment

I hear you. And I think there is value for having Mitch play in a regular rotation with both players. But there’s a huge drop off unfortunately from Dedric to Mitch.

I dont know if its just coming in cold or whatever either. He was a much more reliable offensive presence last year. It might just be spacing. With Vick being our only reliable outside shooter, teams are collapsing to the paint. Maybe Mitch just can’t operate in traffic. Dunno.
                              I wonder what % Mitch could shoot from 3 with regular attempts. He could be that annoying big white guy that shoots 3's for other teams.

Comment

Working...
                              X