Close Game Coaching

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close Game Coaching

I gotta think Bruce Weber is pretty low on this list, although I'm not seeing him on the chart.

Comment

Originally posted by MissTCShore View Post
      I gotta think Bruce Weber is pretty low on this list, although I'm not seeing him on the chart.

He's there. Look around 125 games and .55 winning percentage.

Comment

I honestly think Bruce is a decent coach, not someone that I'd necessarily like to have at the helm, but I think he catches more hell than he deserves....because he's a doofus

Comment

Spent way more time than I should have looking for scott drew...he may be in that clump around 70 games sub .500, I see a ScoXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Comment

A few of those percentage points are attributable to Bob Huggins pissing Jim Beam down his leg.

Comment

Wonder if there is a way to filter out games where the winning team has a 10 pt lead, but the scrubs allow the losing team to get some last second garbage 3's to bring it down to 4-5 point margin.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post
                I honestly think Bruce is a decent coach, not someone that I'd necessarily like to have at the helm, but I think he catches more hell than he deserves....because he's a doofus

Joe Norris Yes, I think so, too. However, I've seen so many blown endings when the game was close that I expected him to be lower. He's actually at a fairly respectable percentage, here.

Comment

Guess it depends what we mean by "decent". Leaving out those first 3 years at Illinois and his first year or two at KSU, you end up with an average KenPom rank of 45th and a median of about 43rd. That's generally good for about 7th best in the Big 12. He's got more than enough data to solidify himself as an 8-10 or 7-11 in-conference type of guy.

He lucked his way into 10-8 last year with a pretty bad basketball team and that's literally the best he's ever done outside of his very first season there.

Comment

Originally posted by LARPHawk View Post
                    Guess it depends what we mean by "decent". Leaving out those first 3 years at Illinois and his first year or two at KSU, you end up with an average KenPom rank of 45th and a median of about 43rd. That's generally good for about 7th best in the Big 12. He's got more than enough data to solidify himself as an 8-10 or 7-11 in-conference type of guy.

He lucked his way into 10-8 last year with a pretty bad basketball team and that's literally the best he's ever done outside of his very first season there.
                    I tend to look at what he's done with the talent he's had. (And only at K-State; I didn't follow what he did at Illinois). So, with the players he's been able to recruit he seems to do better than I would generally expect him to do. Even had a decent post-season last year (Elite Eight). We'll see how he does this year, but he's got a decent prospect of being in the top 3 or 4 in the Big XII this year.

Of course, most people consider recruiting to be part of coaching, and in that regard, he's not done very well.

Comment

Originally posted by MissTCShore View Post

I tend to look at what he's done with the talent he's had. (And only at K-State; I didn't follow what he did at Illinois). So, with the players he's been able to recruit he seems to do better than I would generally expect him to do. Even had a decent post-season last year (Elite Eight). We'll see how he does this year, but he's got a decent prospect of being in the top 3 or 4 in the Big XII this year.

Of course, most people consider recruiting to be part of coaching, and in that regard, he's not done very well.
                      I can't disagree with any of what you said, it's my take as well....he's done fine with what he's had and I believe he's overachieved with what's been given to him (Self and Martin gifts)

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post

I can't disagree with any of what you said, it's my take as well....he's done fine with what he's had and I believe he's overachieved with what's been given to him (Self and Martin gifts)
                        I think Weber is a good coach who is one of the worst recruiters in the country. Unfortunately for him, you need to be both to run a top tier program.

Comment

Add another one to Self's amazing record.

Comment

Even with Wade healthy, I don't think K-State is very good. I see a 4th-place or worse finish for them.

Also, FWIW, I find it interesting that even though they extended Weber, the money isn't much more than it was previously, and on top of that, Klieman won't break the bank.

Comment

Working...
                            X