Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Comedy

Voter leaves Kansas, Duke, and Tennessee out of his top 25

Graham Couch is an idiot and has been an idiot for some time now. I honestly couldn't care less about where folks have us ranked but Couch consistently has Kansas ranked the lowest of any voter. I would put the schedule we play up against anybody in the country. It's butt tough.

Comment

I don't know who this guy is - I've never heard his name before - but to say that we are "dodging" road games is incredibly stupid. How does someone who lacks a basic understanding of economics as it relates to sports get into a position to have an actual vote?

Comment

This is reason 12,637 why rankings are dumb, but it underscores the main one, which is that everyone has a different idea of what rankings are for:

Some pollsters use it as a de facto standings where if Team 1 loses and Team 2 wins, Team 2 moves up without any contextualization such as the opponents or how the teams in question actually played.

Others rank solely based on resume. Others based on advanced metrics.

Others don't really make an effort to rank teams as much as they exploit the poll's prominence to recognize a midmajor like Furman "because it's a nice story" even though they readily admit that certain teams ranked lower are better.

Then others like this clown use it as soapbox for their own personal schtick.

None of them are wrong per se (except the last one), but there's too much noise in the sum to make the poll worth taking seriously.

Comment

I read it and the guy is a grade A moron! Why even bother submitting a poll if you're not going to include all highly credible teams to be ranked just because they don't follow your ridiculous rule?

Maybe do away with polls until the end of December and just start the new year off with the first poll. That way teams will have around 10-12 games played, which is more than enough to establish a credible top 25.

Comment

Yeah, I meant to include in my OP that I don't care if someone has us in the 10-20 range, I think that's where we are, especially without Dok, but to just say that, since we haven't played a true road game, our schedule means nothing, is pure stupidity

Comment

It's called being an attention whore. Too many journalist thinks that's what their job is. Get the clicks, forget any form of objectivity or research.

Comment

Originally posted by JayhawkLifer View Post
                It's called being an attention whore. Too many journalist thinks that's what their job is. Get the clicks, forget any form of objectivity or research.
                Well, to be fair that really IS what their job is for far too many. That is what their employers demand. I just wouldn’t call it journalism or them journalists in situations like this. .

Comment

Originally posted by KUGDI View Post

Well, to be fair that really IS what their job is for far too many. That is what their employers demand. I just wouldn’t call it journalism or them journalists in situations like this. .
                  To get to the heart of it, it's not even what their employers demand, it's what we pay them for. We've decided over the last 20 years to mostly pay for our news via clicks rather than dollars, and so the "journalists" have given us exactly what we've asked for.

Comment

Originally posted by LARPHawk View Post

To get to the heart of it, it's not even what their employers demand, it's what we pay them for. We've decided over the last 20 years to mostly pay for our news via clicks rather than dollars, and so the "journalists" have given us exactly what we've asked for.
                    That’s certainly a fair perspective as well.

Comment

I'd be happy to chip in the cost for a newspaper subscription each month if it meant maintaining the integrity of journalism. And I do, in fact. I have subs to the NYT, WSJ, and The Atlantic. Sadly, my noble efforts have not correlated with greater editorial integrity. The Internet changed everything, and now most people expect information to be free and freely accessible. And I don't necessarily disagree in theory, but it's hard to implement in practice without encountering the issues thus discussed. That said, this is an issue for The Swamp, or at the very least Mass Street. Who gives a shit about the integrity of sports journalism? Of all forms, sports journalism has always been the most jingoistic and least important to the functioning of a healthy democracy. People are dumb and tribal. So it was and ever shall be.

Comment

For sports journalism it's less about integrity and more about quality. If you pay them with dollars then you'd better like the content when you're done with it, or they're not gonna keep getting your dollars.

If you pay them with clicks you've already given them what they want before you even get to read it. The only thing left for them to do to make even more money is cause enough outrage for people to share it.

I think the integrity at the three outlets you mention is pretty damn good all things considered.

Comment

For sports journalism it's less about integrity and more about quality. If you pay them with dollars then you'd better like the content when you're done with it, or they're not gonna keep getting your dollars.

If you pay them with clicks you've already given them what they want before you even get to read it. The only thing left for them to do to make even more money is cause enough outrage for people to share it.

I think the integrity at the three outlets you mention is pretty damn good all things considered.
                          Obviously I subscribe, so I don't disagree. And while this could be an interesting discussion, this forum is improper.

Comment

Graham Couch works for the Lansing State Journal and is an unbalanced MSU homer. Among his hotter takes...ESPN is the culprit behind MSU's rapey behavior with football and basketball. Oh and Larry Nasser went to Michigan. How and why this shitstain gets to vote on anything is a complete mystery.

Comment

Working...
                            X