• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titus is Back

RANKINGS

He always knows how to say what I don't know how to say:
    5. Kansas (7-0)

Kansas is either the best bad team in the country or the worst good team, and it’s becoming increasingly difficult to figure out which. The only thing I’m certain of is that the Jayhawks are incredibly lucky to be one of the 11 remaining undefeated teams in America. It’s kind of Bill Self’s thing to win just enough throughout the regular season, so that when the Jayhawks lose in the Elite Eight people can debate whether their 30-win season should be considered a success. It could be much worse this season. The Jayhawks could conceivably be 3-4 or 2-5 if not for Lagerald Vick morphing into Kobe Bryant seemingly overnight, or Grant Williams fouling out during Kansas’s win against Tennessee.

I guess the what-if game could lead to a lot of out-there hypotheticals and all that ultimately matters is the reality that plays out in front of us. Still, there seems to be so many ways that things could go horribly wrong for the Jayhawks. Udoka Azubuike is already going to miss the next month or so with a sprained ankle, while Quentin Grimes apparently used up every ounce of his talent in the season-opener against Michigan State. Dedric Lawson has been as good as advertised and I love what I’ve seen from Devon Dotson, but there’s no getting around the fact Kansas’s entire season to this point has been almost single-handedly saved by Vick, who Self was trying to run out of Lawrence six months ago. And yet, the Jayhawks are ranked no. 2 in the country and have two big-time wins over Michigan State and Tennessee. The bottom line is that no matter how rocky things have looked for Kansas thus far, you’d have to be out of your skull to expect anything other than the team winning 30-something games as it steamrolls through a Big 12 that’s not quite as great as it has been in recent seasons. As is tradition.

Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post
    RANKINGS

He always knows how to say what I don't know how to say:
    5. Kansas (7-0)

Kansas is either the best bad team in the country or the worst good team, and it’s becoming increasingly difficult to figure out which. The only thing I’m certain of is that the Jayhawks are incredibly lucky to be one of the 11 remaining undefeated teams in America. It’s kind of Bill Self’s thing to win just enough throughout the regular season, so that when the Jayhawks lose in the Elite Eight people can debate whether their 30-win season should be considered a success. It could be much worse this season. The Jayhawks could conceivably be 3-4 or 2-5 if not for Lagerald Vick morphing into Kobe Bryant seemingly overnight, or Grant Williams fouling out during Kansas’s win against Tennessee.

I guess the what-if game could lead to a lot of out-there hypotheticals and all that ultimately matters is the reality that plays out in front of us. Still, there seems to be so many ways that things could go horribly wrong for the Jayhawks. Udoka Azubuike is already going to miss the next month or so with a sprained ankle, while Quentin Grimes apparently used up every ounce of his talent in the season-opener against Michigan State. Dedric Lawson has been as good as advertised and I love what I’ve seen from Devon Dotson, but there’s no getting around the fact Kansas’s entire season to this point has been almost single-handedly saved by Vick, who Self was trying to run out of Lawrence six months ago. And yet, the Jayhawks are ranked no. 2 in the country and have two big-time wins over Michigan State and Tennessee. The bottom line is that no matter how rocky things have looked for Kansas thus far, you’d have to be out of your skull to expect anything other than the team winning 30-something games as it steamrolls through a Big 12 that’s not quite as great as it has been in recent seasons. As is tradition.
    Hey!, we went to the final 4 last year mister!

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the Big 12 has been underwhelming. KU is KU and Tech has been really good, but beyond that I don't see a ton to get excited about. Oklahoma and Iowa State look better than expected, but both were predicted to finish in the lower half, so it's not like they have high ceilings. Everyone else has disappointed to various degrees.

Comment

I'm a Titus fan, and as usual, can't disagree with anything he wrote here. Unlike a lot of writers, he actually loves the games, watches the games, and understands what he's seeing. On top of that, he's a pretty decent writer, if not somewhat amateurish. I don't think I've set a very high bar here, but he's one of the few that actually reaches it.

Comment

Originally posted by Protist View Post
          I'm a Titus fan, and as usual, can't disagree with anything he wrote here. Unlike a lot of writers, he actually loves the games, watches the games, and understands what he's seeing. On top of that, he's a pretty decent writer, if not somewhat amateurish. I don't think I've set a very high bar here, but he's one of the few that actually reaches it.
          I really like him too. I was listening to Titus' podcast today and aside from the fact that he knows basketball, it was refreshing how openly he and his co-host (blanking on his name) talked about coaches offering recruits money and pushing underperforming players out to make room for someone they wanted more, etc. They went on one tangent about how SMU's boosters just decided one day that they wanted a relevant basketball program and didn't care if Larry Brown cheated as long as it paid off in the short term, which it did. ESPN, CBS and NBC's columnists rely on access like nobody's business, so you rarely see them give the unvarnished truth or opinion. Not the case with Titus.

Comment

Originally posted by NoPantsChico View Post

I really like him too. I was listening to Titus' podcast today and aside from the fact that he knows basketball, it was refreshing how openly he and his co-host (blanking on his name) talked about coaches offering recruits money and pushing underperforming players out to make room for someone they wanted more, etc. They went on one tangent about how SMU's boosters just decided one day that they wanted a relevant basketball program and didn't care if Larry Brown cheated as long as it paid off in the short term, which it did. ESPN, CBS and NBC's columnists rely on access like nobody's business, so you rarely see them give the unvarnished truth or opinion. Not the case with Titus.
            Tate Frazier is the cohost.

Comment

Originally posted by Protist View Post
              Outside of Titus and Bilas who else pens a consistently good column? I'm asking as a favor, I've yet to come across someone who knows college hoops and isn't an obvious homer for a particular school.

Comment

Working...
              X