Dok out Indefinitely

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dok out Indefinitely

"That's what I was told initially, but that's not what [the team doctor] said," Self said. "Doc said he just rolled it. But he rolled it pretty significantly. I didn't see the replay when he landed on his foot, I guess."

Self was asked if Christmas could be a reasonable time to expect Azubuike to return by.

"I don't know enough to tell you," Self said. "I know that the x-rays are negative. He's got a pretty significant ankle sprain, and there's a lot of swelling. I'm hopeful that's the case. I think indefinitely would be the best way to probably put it because it's not day-to-day. It's probably going to be a while."

I'm thinking he'll be back after the new year when we start Big 12 play.

Comment

I think we'll be lucky to get him back by February. And then the question becomes what kind of shape will he be in. Probably more reasonable to think that we'll adjust our offensive strategy to the players we have going now and then see how many minutes Dok will get off the bench after he returns. I'd bet this means that his return next year is almost assured.

Comment

Gives him lots of time to work on his Free Throws

Comment

Free Silvio!

Comment

Silvio isn't free. My understanding is that he costs $10,000 minimum.

Comment

Why is it that this sort of thing seems to happen to us every year?

Comment

Originally posted by FrobozMumbar View Post
                I think we'll be lucky to get him back by February. And then the question becomes what kind of shape will he be in. Probably more reasonable to think that we'll adjust our offensive strategy to the players we have going now and then see how many minutes Dok will get off the bench after he returns. I'd bet this means that his return next year is almost assured.
                This is just you projecting your own hopes.

Comment

How long is the recovery?

As mentioned above, the recovery for high ankle sprains can take considerably longer than typical ankle sprains. In fact, it can take six to seven weeks before athletes return to play. In those cases in which a separation of the tibia and fibula or fracture has occurred and surgery is necessary, patients will likely need to be non-weight bearing in a cast followed by a walking boot for about 12 weeks. It is important to do early range of motion passively, meaning with the help of a therapist that moves the ankle, so help avoid stiffness. The screws are commonly taken out in a second, small surgery before full weight bearing is allowed so they will not break.

The best case scenario has him back sometime between 1/11 and 1/18 - at the very quickest. But due to his size, weight, and because basketball requires so much lateral movement, I still say it'll be the beginning of February at the earliest.

Comment

Working...
                  X