No announcement yet.

Generic College Basketball Chatter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I recall he was the best they could get.

They need a guy who can teach basketball, manage egos, and keep kids focused. They don’t have to be stellar recruiters but they have to be good. It isn’t an easy job due to the expectations.

I think a guy like Hoiberg could do ok out there, but he’d still have to deal with recruiting. But their first two calls should be Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan. And they need to offer enough to make them think about it.

Would they give Few enough of a raise to pull him away? I doubt it. They could, I just don’t think they will.

Comment

Originally posted by KUGDI View Post
      If I recall he was the best they could get.

They need a guy who can teach basketball, manage egos, and keep kids focused. They don’t have to be stellar recruiters but they have to be good. It isn’t an easy job due to the expectations.

I think a guy like Hoiberg could do ok out there, but he’d still have to deal with recruiting. But their first two calls should be Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan. And they need to offer enough to make them think about it.

Would they give Few enough of a raise to pull him away? I doubt it. They could, I just don’t think they will.
      They need a good teacher and X-n-O coach. Recruiting to Westwood should pretty much take care of itself with even a half-assed recruiting effort.

Comment

Originally posted by NoPantsChico View Post
        UCLA fired Steve Alford. I never understood that guy's appeal. He made three Sweet 16's, but one of them was with Ben Howland's guys and another was when UAB upset Iowa State in Hoiberg's last year. After 2014, he never finished better than third in a weak conference or won more than one game in the league tournament while reeling in recruiting classes that should've generated better results. And he was a total scumbag at Iowa.
        I think schools always hoped that some of Bob Knight's coaching traits would have rubbed off on him. Apparently only the 'scumbag' trait did.
        Maybe he can take over for Boeheim when he finally gives it up?

Comment

KenPom has an interesting article out at The Athletic that talks about offensive fouls. His data suggest that offensive fouls drawn correlate better than offensive fouls committed from one year to the next, meaning that an offensive foul call is more of a credit to the defense than an indictment of an offensive player's recklessness.

He doesn't give 1-353 rankings, but Texas Tech leads the country in offensive fouls drawn (about 3.4 per game) since the start of the 2016-17 season, and by a pretty big margin. KU is among the nation's worst, which makes sense since they focus more on denying post entry and trying to block shots. The caveat is that the source data doesn't split out charges vs. moving screens vs. away from the ball, so it's not perfect, but I found it interesting.

Comment

Old Roy's squad laid a big fat egg today...at home...against an unranked team. LOL

K-State wins at Iowa St... WTF? Just shows we had our heads up our ass when we played the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by swidman View Post
              Old Roy's squad laid a big fat egg today...at home...against an unranked team. LOL

K-State wins at Iowa St... WTF? Just shows we had our heads up our ass when we played the Cyclones.
              Sometimes teams will do that to us. It happens. They hit an assloaf (I’m leaving that spelling) of threes against us at a high rate, including a fair number that were well guarded. We are everyone’s most anticipated game of the year, and teams play to that.
              Last edited by KUGDI; 6 days ago. Reason: Us being KU, not UNC.

Comment

I also tend to wonder how Doke's Wristgate affected the team mentally. I know we played a bunch of games without him before, but this was a bit different with Bill semi-throwing him under the bus before the game, and leaving little time to prepare for the game without him. 24 turnovers is indicative of being mentally checked out of a game as I don't think ISU was doing anything special to fluster us.

Comment

Congrats on your big win, NoPantsChico !

Comment

Comment

Thanks, Joe! Not sure that I did anything but

Craziest stats I saw flying around were that entering last night, top-ranked Duke teams had been 104-0 at Cameron against everyone but North Carolina, and 90-0 at Cameron against unranked teams.

Comment

Originally posted by NoPantsChico View Post
                        Thanks, Joe! Not sure that I did anything but

Craziest stats I saw flying around were that entering last night, top-ranked Duke teams had been 104-0 at Cameron against everyone but North Carolina, and 90-0 at Cameron against unranked teams.
                        It's nice to see those stats go out the window.

Comment

Watch Duke stay at no. 1

Comment

Nah, without Jones they're definitely losing to UVA on Saturday.

Comment

Speaking of Virginia...

Comment

Remember all of that big talk the last few years from Wichita St about how they had an elite program?
                                They have an "impressive" 8-8 record with their win last night. Go away Shockers.

Comment

Working...
                                X