FBI Case Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JayhawkLifer View Post
    May not be on the reporter to fill in the blanks, but a ethical one would. He knows exactly what he is doing with the way he worded that. Regardless, as noted, Gasnola was an AAU coach so his "report" could be referring to meeting with Bill, talking about the recruits he was coaching and he would help keep Bill & staff informed about his players, etc.
    Oh, I'm not suggesting anything nefarious went on during the meetings (yet). I don't think there's any more smoke than there was before today. Just giving updates on the goings-on that are relevant to KU.

Comment

I listened to 810 for a bit this afternoon and the cheerleader had a full on woody talking about this. I bet it was at least three inches.

Comment

Originally posted by beakumhawks View Post
        I listened to 810 for a bit this afternoon and the cheerleader had a full on woody talking about this. I bet it was at least three inches.
        That's probably being generous on the size part.

Comment

If there is one thing I learned from the Josh Jackson/KC Star witch hunt last year is that everyone has their agenda and to take anyone's rhetoric as truth is foolhardy.

Comment

This doesn't look good:

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/co...220042375.html

Comment

Originally posted by Hawker007 View Post
              Why? Based on that testimony, it actually looks good for us and De Sousa.

Comment

It’s not a smoking gun or anything, but I don’t think it looks great either. Looks like a lot of willful ignorance on KU’s part, which may not add up to criminal activity but could result in trouble with the NCAA. I guess we’ll see.

Comment

It's looking less and less likely we get through this unscathed by the NCAA. They pretty much have to act on this on some level.

Comment

Originally posted by Protist View Post
                    It's looking less and less likely we get through this unscathed by the NCAA. They pretty much have to act on this on some level.
                    What's there to act on? There's nothing said about actually giving cash to anyone? Sounds like Self is telling the Adidas guy you do what you need to do to get us guys we want and that's it. He isn't telling him to pay anyone. How can the NCAA act on that? Again, what is there to act on?

Comment

So over/under 75% chance our FF & big 12 banner comes down

Comment

If the testimony in the current case ends up being all there is, it sounds like SDS will probably have to pay back the $2500 for the online classes and probably have to sit out a handful of early games as a penance. I don't really see what else there is to act on against KU. SDS's guardian said he got no money from Adidas. The Adidas guy said he didn't give him any money (for SDS to go to KU, anyway). And as far as Preston is concerned, major money changed hands, but all testimony says Self and KU had no idea - and fortunately Preston never played a game for us, so there is nothing to punish KU for there, IMO.

This thing is so wide-spread - and obviously going to expand to the other shoe companies if UA and Maryland have already been called out - that the NCAA won't be able to bust everyone, not if they still want to field a reasonably decent tournament that people will watch. My guess is the NCAA will cite KU self-reporting Preston and sitting him on our own as a show that KU wan't involved in the pay for play scandal, give SDS a slap on the wrist and call it a day. Of course, that slap could take a turn for the worse if SDS himself is shown to have taken UA money for the Maryland deal, but that wouldn't necessarily impact KU beyond having to forfeit the games he played in. I don't think it would result in any kind of probation, bans, etc. for KU.

Comment

It's silly to think Self and KU had "no idea" - You don't coach at Self's level for as along as he has while being completely oblivious to what goes on behind the scenes. As I said before, he's trying to maintain plausible deniability, as he should as far as the NCAA is concerned, but he knows what Gassnola and his ilk are there to do; It's just a matter of the prosecution proving the extent.

Comment

Originally posted by NoPantsChico View Post
                            It's silly to think Self and KU had "no idea" - You don't coach at Self's level for as along as he has while being completely oblivious to what goes on behind the scenes. As I said before, he's trying to maintain plausible deniability, as he should as far as the NCAA is concerned, but he knows what Gassnola and his ilk are there to do; It's just a matter of the prosecution proving the extent.
                            I didn't say Self had no idea - I said the all the testimony says Self and KU had no idea. I'm aware of the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by swidman View Post

What's there to act on? There's nothing said about actually giving cash to anyone? Sounds like Self is telling the Adidas guy you do what you need to do to get us guys we want and that's it. He isn't telling him to pay anyone. How can the NCAA act on that? Again, what is there to act on?
                              At a minimum, it seems SDS should have been ineligible last year. That's at a minimum. I don't even want to think about the max right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Protist View Post

At a minimum, it seems SDS should have been ineligible last year. That's at a minimum. I don't even want to think about the max right now.
                                They can't punish KU unless they can prove they had knowledge of the issue at hand.

Comment

Working...
                                X