X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ochocinco Scores a reserve spot on SportingKC

LINK

Seems like he's doing well

"This is so awesome I'm an honorary member of SportingKC and can train with the reserve team as long as I want," Ochocinco said in a tweet. "Totally awesome ILuvKC."

As an honorary member of Sporting KC who plays for the reserve team, the six-time Pro Bowl wide receiver for the Cincinnati Bengals will not be given a contract or be paid. But soccer will be a great way to stay in shape until owners and players work out their differences and the NFL lockout is lifted.

Coach Peter Vermes said Ochocinco had proved himself to be a hard worker and a good teammate, and was never a distraction.

If he stays through the season I'll be impressed.

Comment

Just a PR move. He is horrible at soccer.

He has said he will stay until the lockout ends, when he is contractually obligated to return to football.

Comment

He's an "honorary" member. It's like an honorary degree. He and everybody else knows he's not good enough to play in the league-he tweeted today that he's at least 5 years of training away. All that said, he's been really cool through the whole thing. It may have been a PR stunt but he took it serious and didn't make a spectacle of it. As a soccer fan and adult player, his biggest problem aside from the technical aspect is being out of shape. Even an out of season soccer player would struggle against match fit opponents.

Comment

The guy has never shied away from how much he loves soccer. It never really sounded like he had a serious expectation of making the squad, and he seems thrilled that he's even getting to play as a reserve. Went after something he wanted to do and he got it. Hard to fault him for that.

And hell, it's a better workout than what most of the guys in the NFL will get this off season. He'll be ahead of the curve in terms of conditioning whenever the lockout ends.

Comment

This is it precisely. It irks me a little that people took this to be a "serious" tryout. It was a twitter invite because he talks about it all the time. He's said that if he was a HS kid again and soccer was what it is now, he would have chosen it. Probably a similar scenario for Nash.

What's cool about Chad is he seems like the type of guy that if you invited him to say, come play a pick up game of something while he was in the area, he just might do it. He can rub people the wrong way but I honestly believe his online persona is who he is.

Originally posted by Jayhawker View Post
            The guy has never shied away from how much he loves soccer. It never really sounded like he had a serious expectation of making the squad, and he seems thrilled that he's even getting to play as a reserve. Went after something he wanted to do and he got it. Hard to fault him for that.

And hell, it's a better workout than what most of the guys in the NFL will get this off season. He'll be ahead of the curve in terms of conditioning whenever the lockout ends.

Comment

Ochocinco is better at marketing himself than he is at sports.

Comment

I've never had a problem with Chad....had the NFL not made such a big deal about the celebrations half of this stuff never would have happened

Comment

Let's be real... he's 33. That's pretty old. His best receiving years are likely behind him but he was damn good while he was in his prime. And let's not forget he did his damage while playing for one of the worst organizations in the league.
                  Originally posted by IceHawkE View Post
                  Ochocinco is better at marketing himself than he is at sports.

Comment

Originally posted by sweaterbydarwin View Post
                    Let's be real... he's 33. That's pretty old. His best receiving years are likely behind him but he was damn good while he was in his prime. And let's not forget he did his damage while playing for one of the worst organizations in the league.
                    I get your point, but I was referring to the current Ochicinco.

Comment

Originally posted by sweaterbydarwin View Post
                      This is it precisely. It irks me a little that people took this to be a "serious" tryout. It was a twitter invite because he talks about it all the time. He's said that if he was a HS kid again and soccer was what it is now, he would have chosen it. Probably a similar scenario for Nash.

What's cool about Chad is he seems like the type of guy that if you invited him to say, come play a pick up game of something while he was in the area, he just might do it. He can rub people the wrong way but I honestly believe his online persona is who he is.
                      I know it wasn't a serious tryout. It irks me a little when I hear people talking, like I have the last couple days, about how OchoCinco was good enough to make the reserve team for real when in reality he wasn't even close.

Comment

Working...
                      X