Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bball scholly worth $120,000

Link

Howard and other members of this week's Final Four teams might not get a check in the mail, but a USA TODAY analysis has determined that a typical player for a program receives at least $120,000 annually in goods, services and future earnings for his athletic work.

That $120,000 represents far more than the $27,923 median grant-in-aid, or athletic scholarship, received by men's basketball players at the 120 schools in the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS).

But I've been assured that athletes play for free and are nothing more than slaves to the system who receive nothing in exchange for their long hours of work.

Comment

I actually agree 100% with Jay Bilas, who has been blowing up twitter on this one.

Athletes should not be paid, but they should be able to make money off their likeness and image as it is used.

Comment

Jalen Rose and Herm Edwards were discussing this a couple of weeks ago in run up the NCAA tournament. They both agreed that in general the players don't get the monetary benefit of being a college player especially while they are in college. Herm's idea was that the school would pay the player x amount after he/she graduates. I don't know what the number would be or how to accurately determine that but I thought that wasn't an unreasonable idea.

Jalen's point was there players should be given a stipend on a semester basis. His point is that you have a ton of kids coming to college from poor economic conditions. Most of them are far away from home and they need the basics like clothes, food, all the other stuff you need (no booze or drugs or hookers of course) when you are on your own. When they do need something they ain't calling their parents because a lot of them don't have much, if any, extra money. What's kid from Miami who's playing at Syracuse going to do in the winter? They are going to need jacket, boots, etc. How are they going to get that kind of stuff? It would also help prevent the temptation to do something stupid like steal or rob someone becuase they feel they have no other way of getting money to get by.

Regardless, it seems pretty obvious that student atheletes deserve a larger piece of the pie.

Comment

I don't necessarily know about boots, but Kansas athletes/coaches/managers/AD employees get cold weather gear from Adidas. I'm sure it's the same at other schools.

Comment

the biggest problem is really title ix I think

the feminists would be out in force demanding we pay women athletes equally...which is complete horseshit

Comment

Yeah that's true....then again, they could get around it by paying them based on a percentage of income generated by their respective sport

Comment

Title IX would have precisely no effect on this. Title IX just says that a school must provide athletic opportunities that are proportionate to the enrollment of a gender. But that doesn't mean people wouldn't still try to argue that women should be paid equally.

That's when a school the "non-revenue" distinction. Say that non-revenue sports are not eligible for pay. The flip-side is that you just stratify things even more and put an even bigger gap between Football/Basketball and the OTHER 86 sports in the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayhawker View Post
                  I don't necessarily know about boots, but Kansas athletes/coaches/managers/AD employees get cold weather gear from Adidas. I'm sure it's the same at other schools.
                  They don't have boots. But they do get all the other cold weather stuff they want. And tons of different shoes and other clothes.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolvehawk View Post
                    the biggest problem is really title ix I think

the feminists would be out in force demanding we pay women athletes equally...which is complete horseshit
                    That's why you don't pay them per say. You just give them money based off the sale of their likeness or image. For the most part only bball/football players are going to have that used so thats all that is going to get money.

Comment

Originally posted by dominatindj11 View Post
                      That's why you don't pay them per say. You just give them money based off the sale of their likeness or image. For the most part only bball/football players are going to have that used so thats all that is going to get money.
                      "Using their likeness", are we talking about Video Games? Posters? Does KU really make a killing on that stuff? Half of the "likeness" stuff I get for free as handouts.

Comment

Originally posted by ICThawk View Post
                        "Using their likeness", are we talking about Video Games? Posters? Does KU really make a killing on that stuff? Half of the "likeness" stuff I get for free as handouts.
                        I suppose there are those DVDs, ridiculously priced framed prints, etc. that they sell. I don't know how much they actually make off that stuff though.

Comment

Video games probably bring in a decent amount of cash every year

but part of that is just to use logos, arenas, etc

Comment

EA sports makes millions off of NCAA bball and football every year.

KU makes tons off of jersey sales.

Comment

Originally posted by dominatindj11 View Post
                              EA sports makes millions off of NCAA bball and football every year.

KU makes tons off of jersey sales.
                              Jersey sales while it may seem reflect on the player, one could argue has nothing to do with "likeness".

Comment

Working...
                              X