Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self presser: a synopsis

BigdanceHawk said it best so all cred goes to him:

We need to sign 2,3,4 kids this spring, here in a couple of weeks.
    We need a great spring recruiting class.
    We need a couple of guards, wings.
    And we may need some bigs.
    I’d like to know sooner rather than later who’s staying and who’s not.
    I don’t know who’s leaving. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of them tested the waters,but I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t.
    I’ll be speaking with NBA general managers.
    Kids have to do what’s best for their families if the time is right.
    There’s a chance these kids could declare and not get paid. (lockout possible).
    Common sense: if there’s a lockout and the season doesn’t start until Feb., it’s hard for these kids to show what they can do with no training.
    I’ve spoken with NBA owners and everybody thinks there will be some sort of lockout.
    Twins improved dramatically this year.
    Best front line in the country.
    Marcus needs to improved his perimeter game.
    See him as a 3 or 3-1/2. You don’t get over these kinds of losses immediately.
    Kids get over itfaster than adults,coaches.
    The thing that’s most disappointing to me was it was set up for us. We were the better team. You don’t get opportunities like that every year.
    Still, we performed well during the season.
    But we should still be playing.
    I won’t get over this one for a long time, nor should I.
    Suspensions, deaths, injuries, and we still found a way. Except in this last game.
    Everybody is entitled to their opinion—nothing wrong with that.
    Hard for people to see the big picture when the immediate past result was such a negative one.
    In life, in sports, when you go for the throat there’s a chance you’ll suffer disappointment. They’ll be a different result soon.
    Michael Jordan missed some game winning shots, but nobody talks about it.
    We were tight against Boston . We weren’t tight against Richmond or Ill.
    Against VCU, the more shots we missed, the harder we tried.
    Lob dunk-3 second call. Charge!! (Implied another bad call.)
    First time this year we lost a game because of free throws.
    T-Rob will get better.
    Needs to take a step like Marcus did. He’ll be terrific.
    Josh is very talented. We saw some of that early.
    Primarily due to injury, maybe lost some confidence.
    Moving forward he can be a pro type guard.
    The foot kinda kept him from being himself.
    We projected Josh to be a point who could score.
    Now, in his development, he’s moreof a 2.That doesn’t mean he can’t develop into a 1.
    Josh broke his hand last summer. He hasn’t played that role. He needs lots of reps.
    The “choke” label bothers me. We didn’t play good for whatever reason. I’m not a big believer in thinking a loss to one team is worse than another.
    This team played closer to the ceiling than last years team.
    I don’t know if we need to approach games against mid-majors differently.(seemed to be giving that Q some real thought).
    I need to look at what happens in the 40 hours between the sweet 16 game and the elite 8 game. More rest? More film?
    We were loose going into the VCU game. Maybe we take them to the movies.
    Maybe we don’t let them watch TV. We should have been up 8.
    I stressed attack, attack, attack.
    I don’t want to go to Houston, but I have to.
    We’re working on a game with USC (their home game) in Wichita to benefit USC financially. We’d play them in AFH.
    Last edited by Joe Norris; 03-29-11, 12:57 PM. Reason: formatting

TLDR

Comment

:eek:

Comment

If that is an accurate summarization of his presser, I couldn't agree with him more.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post
          Still, we performed well during the season.
          But we should still be playing.
          I won't get over this one for a long time, nor should I.
          Suspensions, deaths, injuries, and we still found a way. Except in this last game.
          Everybody is entitled to their opinion;nothing wrong with that.
          Hard for people to see the big picture when the immediate past result was such a negative one.
          In life, in sports, when you go for the throat there's a chance you'll suffer disappointment. They'll be a different result soon.
          Michael Jordan missed some game winning shots, but nobody talks about it.
          We were tight against Boston . We weren't tight against Richmond or Ill.
          Against VCU, the more shots we missed, the harder we tried.
          Lob dunk-3 second call. Charge!! (Implied another bad call.)
          First time this year we lost a game because of free throws.

This team played closer to the ceiling than last years team.
          I don’t know if we need to approach games against mid-majors differently.(seemed to be giving that Q some real thought).

I need to look at what happens in the 40 hours between the sweet 16 game and the elite 8 game. More rest? More film?
          We were loose going into the VCU game. Maybe we take them to the movies.
          Maybe we don’t let them watch TV. We should have been up 8.
          I stressed attack, attack, attack.
          Since coach says I'm entitled to my opinion, here it is: This is not the first time he's spoken of the team making an unexpected early exit because of being "tight." Bucknell, Bradley, Northern Iowa and now Virigina Commonwealth. My opinion is that it is an issue within Bill Self that manifests under the bright lights of the big stage. As a professional, I think Self is wound up as tight as Roy Williams was in his years at KU. Self is probably more relaxed and sincere than Roy ever was, but he's still a hard-charging Type A personality. And the team picks up on that and it snowballs. They try to play harder instead of smarter when they stare down elimination in the NCAAs. So you get 2-22 from 3 range and 53% FTs. Nerves. Self needs some zen or to see a shrink, because I think the problem is his and his alone to solve.

Comment

Agreed, Self needs to spend a week with Phillip in LA for some zen tips.

Comment

Originally posted by filmfanatic24 View Post
              Agreed, Self needs to spend a week with a bunch of hookers and blow in LA for some zen tips.
              FYP

Comment

I love all of the locker room psychoanalysts.
                How does anybody profess to know what the kids are thinking?

Comment

He seems pretty chill here.

Comment

he said those were really rehearsed cause he knew the crews were gonna be in there

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post
                      We’re working on a game with USC (their home game) in Wichita to benefit USC financially. We’d play them in AFH.
                      correction. USC is considering playing their home game vs us in witchita, as opposed to playing it at USC. the financial benefit is that USC will control the gate and get the $$$. LA fans are screwed out of seeing the hawks play, while wichita people masturbate in the streets.

Comment

Originally posted by gravyshanks View Post
                        correction. USC is considering playing their home game vs us in witchita, as opposed to playing it at USC. the financial benefit is that USC will control the gate and get the $$$. LA fans are screwed out of seeing the hawks play, while wichita people masturbate in the streets.
                        We were supposed to wait till the game to do that? Oops!

Comment

Working...
                        X