X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self merely highest profile game's evolving chipmunks

Pretty good article by Gregg Doyel

DOYEL

Mock Self for some of Kansas' season-ending losses if you like, but consider this your own personal Twitter moment. The game is changing, changing to the point that 30 years from now, when we look back on Bill Self's career, we'll care only about the national title (or titles) he won. We won't dote on the losses that seem so glaring right now, because by the year 2040 we'll understand: College basketball evolved during the Bill Self era. Chipmunks eat alligators. They eat alligators all the time.

Doyel has turned in some dud columns in his career, but he's bullseye here. Few remember Knight's or Krzyzewski's early round losses, to much higher seeds. They only remember the greateness of some of those teams.

A winner is a winner. Bill Self, by any metric, is a winner.
    Last edited by Hoopo; 03-29-11, 10:37 AM.

Comment

I too think the article was spot on. Regarding all the negatieve labels like chokers or whatever, well that comes with the territory when you are a top 3 all time college basketball program. You have a big target on your back and when the media doesn't think you peform to their expectations then you take the hits. Self will have another team that will be able to compete to get a spot in Final Four. Probably not next year, but soon.

I am proud to have Bill Self as our basketball coach and I am proud of what the players accomplished this year. For all the fans that are disappointed I garauntee you the players and coaches are far more disappointed.

Comment

You put Self in an NBA style play-off (just like any Top Flight coach) and he's gonna be the Phil Jackson of basketball

sadly, March Madness isn't like that

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post
          You put Self in an NBA style play-off (just like any Top Flight coach) and he's gonna be the Phil Jackson of basketball

sadly, March Madness isn't like that
          Bill Self to the NBA? Do not want.

Comment

No, I meant if they played an NBA style playoff in college ball

Comment

Tourney should be 16 teams, double elimination....games are hosted by the higher seed

would be far better basketball than the crap we get now

Comment

Originally posted by Evolvehawk View Post
                Tourney should be 16 teams, double elimination....games are hosted by the higher seed

would be far better basketball than the crap we get now
                Disagree.

Comment

Great article, I agree with it 100%. The main reason I agree with it is because the article portrays us positively and validates our loss somewhat. This article was better than a lot of his other articles for the reason that those articles portrayed us negatively and were mean spirited towards our team.

Comment

33 is on to something here

Comment

Doyel's premise, that chipmunks eat alligators, is clearly evident.

The little guys are no longer so little. And the big dogs are not so big any more.

How would this year's KU team fared with Xavier Henry in the lineup?

Comment

I have come to look at the NCAA tournament as an NCAA fundraiser to keep about 300 athletic departments afloat.
                        It's a piss poor way to identify the best college basketball team.

Comment

Working...
                        X