The real KU problem this year: Lack of guard talent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The real KU problem this year: Lack of guard talent

Reed and Morningstar are good guards, but are they guards you'd expect on a national title team in anything other than a 6th man/complimentary player role? Taylor has some good physical gifts, but he's a poor shooter and makes terrible decisions. None of them even sniffed McD's AA game out of high school or even were all league type players in their college careers.

I thought Selby was so important this year before we started because we didn't really have exceptional guards...the type that can just physically dominate like the Twins and Robinson could down low.

Poor kid missed half the year and was injured...and never really had a chance to shine.

Look at the blue bloods left...

UK...Knight bailed them out several times
    UConn...Walker bailed them out all year

This year's team compared favorably down low to our 08 team, but Chalmers/Robinson/Rush/Collins compared to Reed/Morningstar/Taylor is not even close. None of our guards this year would even crack the regular rotation (top 4) if put on the 08 team. When our 08 team didn't have the shot falling, Chalmers, Robinson, Rush, Collins could all do something off the drive and create for others. Reed and Morningstar just kept chucking 3's.

We really need to pick up recruiting....1 McD's AA on a Kansas team? that's incredibly low by our standards.

When you look at the pregame match ups on CBSsportsline and see a "slight edge" on guards in comparing VCU to KU, you know something's wrong.

A CAA team should never even be close
    Last edited by Evolvehawk; 03-27-11, 11:41 PM.

I think the real problem is you never posted the voicemails... It was bad JuJu

Comment

There's about 100 more texts/voicemails/calls after the flop today

Comment

I would say our guards are/were not great, but they aren't that bad either. They just happened to have the worst shooting performance of their lives and probably in our program's history all on the same day. I would give VCU credit if it was due, but it is not. We just missed open shots. Even if we just shoot really shitty from three yesterday, we win that game, but we shot the worst of all fucking time while they go 12-25 from three and we only lose by 8. Our guards were plenty good enough to win us the NC this year, we just peed down our legs.

Comment

Everything that had to happen for them to win happened. They rain threes and we commit dumb turnovers and have off shooting night. That game is what the Mizzou game in Columbia should have been if Mizzou even made half of what they threw up. It's just one of those things that happens.

Per the article on Kusports...Shooting 35.5 percent overall and 2-for-21 from three with 13 missed free throws isn’t a good formula for victory in the Elite Eight.

Comment

Whats the worst fucking thing.....

VCU 3 pt shooting on the year - 37%
            VCU 3 pt shooting yesterday vs. KU - 48%

Comment

They disrupted our guards all day, we had no answer.

It happens

Start of the year I had us no better than sweet 16 based on lack of a stand out guard. It's not a knock on anything just where we lacked this year. We can look back on every year and point to something.

All in all, we out performed the expectations this year.

Comment

that's pretty much my feeling.

Originally posted by dewarsrocks View Post
                They disrupted our guards all day, we had no answer.

It happens

Start of the year I had us no better than sweet 16 based on lack of a stand out guard. It's not a knock on anything just where we lacked this year. We can look back on every year and point to something.

All in all, we out performed the expectations this year.

Comment

Our guards didn't get disrupted... they just couldn't hit anything. Reed had TONS of open looks that just didn't fall down. We shot below our averages in every aspect. Kieff had the most turnovers by any one player in this tourney.

It was a perfect (shit)storm that killed us. They shot 12% above their season average from 3.

Comment

Entire team had major jitters after VCU punched them in the mouth.

Free throws, open threes, shakes were bad yesterday.

Don't know the remedy and neither did the coaches.

But I'll miss the hell out of Reed and Morningstar. Those guys are still heroes to me and always will be.

Rock Chalk.

Comment

Working...
                    X