Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it safe to say that the Showtime Selby expectations have met reality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it safe to say that the Showtime Selby expectations have met reality?

He's a talent for sure and I still believe we're going to need his ability down the road but he, and we, may have been ahead of ourselves thinking freshmen guards can be these season long difference makers. I think people look at Rose or Evans and extrapolate. They're a rarity.

And it's pretty obvious by now that the injury has turned into a smokescreen because the kid doesn't bust it in practice. Figuring out that you're a cog in the wheel can be humbling. I know it's not at all unique for freshmen. I still remember Robinson's refusal to enter a game. I just hope he sticks around another year because I do think he can be a special one.

I hope someone tells him if he has a hard time in D1 he's going to get rolled in the NBA.

The most damning thing I heard about Selby yet was when Knight said he had perfect position to take a charge but he moved out of the way and gave the OSU player a lane to the basket.

Comment

Sadly, him staying another year will only hurt us on the recruiting trail

so color me disappointed the kid had a bad year

Comment

Per Self, he said he would have started Josh but he forgot his insole at his Mom's and was late to shoot-around.

Comment

If I'm honest, losing out on kids that have every intention of leaving after one year is fine with me (in most cases).
          Originally posted by Evolvehawk View Post

Comment

Saying Selby "had a bad year" is delusive at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolvehawk View Post

I'd rather have a TRob, Morrii, or Reed then a Selby right now. If we can load up on quality 4 and 5 star guys who have their feet on the ground and their heads on straight we have the staff that can coach them up.

Selby has some talent. It shows every once in a while but EJ does too. The difference is we have EJ for 3-4 years and we'll get Selby and the suspension and only 20 games. Give me a solid team over a big star any day.

The recruiting ranking business is pretty bogus anyway. You have a bunch of yahoos in the media ranking these guys and boy can they be wrong.

I don't think that Selby's struggles are the system. Bill's system has allowed guys to go the the basket and score before. Selby's struggles are in regards to his overall ability to control the ball, he has very little.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoopo View Post
                Saying Selby "had a bad year" is delusive at best.
                Selby averages 10 pts per game, 3 assists and 2.7 turnovers. He's played in 57% of the games. 10 pts per game is good, the rest not so much. For a top guy he's hardly been a difference maker on the court except for maybe USC and Cal and our team has proven to be just as suited without him.

But I know, you will say I'm a retard.

Comment

That first game against USC and the subsequent game winner were probably the worst things that could've happened to Selby. He had ALL the hype in the world coming in, and that performance just led people not necessarily in-the-know to believe even more in the notion that he'd drop 20 a game for the season. That simply doesn't happen very often in a system like Self's.

Comment

especially when it takes 20 shots to get there. Freshmen just aren't afforded that luxury, especially on team that is currently predicated on feeding the post (and damn well should be). The reality is that scoring guards rarely impact the game their first year like perhaps their bigger counterparts do.

I don't mean at all to say that he had a bad year. By most standards, even freshmen ones, it's been great. I just mean to put an end to the idea that he he's waiting in the wings light teams up on any given night.

Originally posted by thedeerehunter View Post
                    That first game against USC and the subsequent game winner were probably the worst things that could've happened to Selby. He had ALL the hype in the world coming in, and that performance just led people not necessarily in-the-know to believe even more in the notion that he'd drop 20 a game for the season. That simply doesn't happen very often in a system like Self's.
                    Last edited by sweaterbydarwin; 02-22-11, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sweaterbydarwin View Post
                      I just mean to put an end to the idea that he he's waiting in the wings light teams up on any given night.
                      That idea should be safely put to rest by any even casual follower of KU. But I'm not disappointed by Selby in any way and saying he had a bad year is farcical. Compare Selby's frosh season to date with Paul Pierce's frosh season.

Comment

correct. But nobody expected Pierce to be a Lotto pick after his freshman year. The expectations aren't Selby's fault.

Comment

correct. But nobody expected Pierce to be a Lotto pick after his freshman year. The expectations aren't Selby's fault.
                          Good points by both Hoopo and sweater.

Comment

Absolutely right. It serves Mr. Selby and his family to keep the example of Pierce in mind. The Paul Pierce who just went to ANOTHER NBA All-Star Game this past weekend did not really become the player we know now until after his sophomore season in a KU uniform. He showed potential -- same as Josh does now -- but he didn't have SUPERSTAR potential until after his second season.

Can't blame the guy if he goes pro after this year, but I doubt I'm in the minority among KU fans who KNOW that another year under Self, Dooley, Manning, Townsend, et. al., and with his extraordinarily talented Jayhawk teammates, would only ENHANCE his chances to go at the top of the NBA draft in 2012, 2013 or 2014.

Comment

he can become that player just as easily in the NBA as he can playing at KU

Comment

Working...
                              X