Consider This... Brady... Our starting PG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consider This... Brady... Our starting PG

I realize I am going to get butt raped for this, but anyone who watched the game last night witnessed YET AGAIN a TyTy full of fail. The guy has serious athleticism and flashes of brilliance, but he also generally thinks he is the next Sherron Collins and performs more like a bad Nicky B. All those that praise his defense cannot deny he got BLOWN past constantly last night. Crap drives into trouble, floaters off the glass that might as well be air balls, and his game was ONLY saved by the hackfest MU players bailing him out.

Personally I'd like to see Selby take the majority of Tyshawn's minutes and play at the 2 spot. Rotate Little, Releford, and Reed in the 3 spot. EJ and Tyshawn play backup for the guards.... and.... Brady lead the point. Last night he brought the ball up in the 2nd half. Is one of the most level headed guards we have in terms of protecting the ball (YES YES I know all about the baseline jump pass. But it's not different then the crap Ty pulls). He is one of the best at looking inside for the pass, and has become a VERY legitimate 3pt threat. Brady isn't the most athletic guy out there but he has one of the highest BBIQ's on the floor.

Alright.... let me have it.

Re: Consider This... Brady... Our starting PG

We all hate on Tyshawn and for good reason but the rest of the country thinks he's pretty good. I think he plays selfish driving the ball but maybe there is something behind Self putting him in to drive like that.

Just like how we lament all the passes, the media calls us the best passing team out there.

Comment

[quote author=dewarsrocks link=topic=3538.msg40806#msg40806 date=1297178985]
      We all hate on Tyshawn and for good reason but the rest of the country thinks he's pretty good. I think he plays selfish driving the ball but maybe there is something behind Self putting him in to drive like that.

Just like how we lament all the passes, the media calls us the best passing team out there.
      [/quote]

To be fair, the pundits also think no one knows about TRob's mom, and that the Twins are actually twins. So I try to not put much stock into what they think.

Comment

I don't think ya'll understand the purpose of Taylor driving the way he does.

1. Force them to play honest D.
        2. Pick up cheap fouls
        3. Speed them up.
        4. Get Taylor some looks, he hasn't been making them lately, but in the past he was pretty money.

Comment

[quote author=WolfShirtSophomore link=topic=3538.msg40812#msg40812 date=1297179355]

2. Pick up cheap fouls
          3. Speed them up.
          4. Get Taylor some looks, he hasn't been making them lately, but in the past he was pretty money.
          [/quote]

So he was money in the Non-Con. Great. He blasted Longwood for 17 pts. Last night he picked up cheap fouls because it was MU's Hackfest. Against ALMOST EVERY other conference team he draws the charge, or simply turns the ball over. No fouls drawn, no easy "looks", and doesn't require much D.

Comment

[quote author=WolfShirtSophomore link=topic=3538.msg40812#msg40812 date=1297179355]

2. Pick up cheap fouls
            3. Speed them up.
            [/quote]

There's definitely something to this. Taylor was nearly our best player for the first few weeks of the season. So is he just in a funk now scoring-wise?

The point about him speeding the other team up is quite valid. Unfortunately for KU, when Taylor zips around and lays floaters off the glass that roll off the rim, it usually is just another KU turnover.

This team doesn't have a true PG, we all know that. I wouldn't mind seeing Brady fill the role of PG. I also like KU a lot better when Taylor is on the bench.

Comment

I really don't understand the people who dislike Tyshawn. Do you know anything about basketball?

Sure, he makes lazy passes every once in a while. Misses runners or gets a charge called sometimes.
              But he is the facilitator on this team. As soon as he gets the ball...we're in our offense. He very rarely turns it over while dribbling/bringing it up the court. As soon as he got the ball last night, Mizzou press...off.
              He handles the ball for nearly 28 minutes a game, and has an almost 2/1 ass/to ratio. He is the guy you want leading the break for this team.

Brady is playing very well right now, and hopefully continues doing so. But he is not a PG.

Without Tyshawn we have multiple losses this year.

Comment

[quote author=Hoopo link=topic=3538.msg40817#msg40817 date=1297179928]
                The point about him speeding the other team up is quite valid. Unfortunately for KU, when Taylor zips around and lays floaters off the glass that roll off the rim, it usually is just another KU turnover.
                [/quote]

+1

Tyshawn played point well last night. He does a good job of handling the ball against pressure, initiating the offense, etc.

But his forced shots sometimes drive me crazy. He gets to the rim as good as anyone I've seen, but routinely can't finish. It's especially awful when he does it early in the possession.

If the coaching staff can rein him in a bit and have him stop trying to force things on the offensive end, he will be fine. But he needs to learn that he's not Sherron Collins.

Against talented guards, Brady/Tyrel can't handle the point. So with Tyshawn, we have to take the good with the bad.

Comment

Tyshawn was taking good shots last night. He is the only guard who gets the ball in the lane. His shots were good looks.

Also, Missouri was spread out and not in the lane with their bigs. His drives resulted in multiple putbacks and offensive boards from our bigs. He is the PG, Brady is a shooting guard.

Tyshawn's on ball defense is still better.

The only person who who failed last night was EJ. How the hell can you say Tyshawn failed? He had 3 shots that were down and out. those hit and he's 7-14 and playing great defense and the ONLY guard getting the ball into the lane.

Comment

[quote author=KVN638 link=topic=3538.msg40836#msg40836 date=1297181666]
                    Tyshawn was taking good shots last night. He is the only guard who gets the ball in the lane. His shots were good looks.

Also, Missouri was spread out and not in the lane with their bigs. His drives resulted in multiple putbacks and offensive boards from our bigs. He is the PG, Brady is a shooting guard.

The only person who who failed last night was EJ. How the hell can you say Tyshawn failed? He had 3 shots that were down and out. those hit and he's 7-14 and playing great defense and the ONLY guard getting the ball into the lane.
                    [/quote]

Sure, if we count some of his misses he is shooting 50%. Great night!

[quote author=ono link=topic=3538.msg40833#msg40833 date=1297181446]
                    +1

Tyshawn played point well last night. He does a good job of handling the ball against pressure, initiating the offense, etc.

But his forced shots sometimes drive me crazy. He gets to the rim as good as anyone I've seen, but routinely can't finish. It's especially awful when he does it early in the possession.

If the coaching staff can rein him in a bit and have him stop trying to force things on the offensive end, he will be fine. But he needs to learn that he's not Sherron Collins.

Against talented guards, Brady/Tyrel can't handle the point. So with Tyshawn, we have to take the good with the bad.
                    [/quote]

If Tyshawn settled into a RusRob role then he'd be FANTASTIC. However in 3 years he hasn't seemed to figure that out.

Comment

[quote author=ICThawk link=topic=3538.msg40840#msg40840 date=1297181816]
                      [quote author=KVN638 link=topic=3538.msg40836#msg40836 date=1297181666]

[/quote]

Sure, if we count some of his misses he is shooting 50%. Great night!

[quote author=ono link=topic=3538.msg40833#msg40833 date=1297181446]
                      +1

[/quote]

If Tyshawn settled into a RusRob role then he'd be FANTASTIC. However in 3 years he hasn't seemed to figure that out.
                      [/quote]

funny, i didn't see this argument from you when Brady was consistently missing wide open 3's every game. In fact, you were one of the people saying he had good looks and they just weren't falling like they use to/usually do. Tyshawn was taking good/smart shots.

Who else will drive the lane if Selby is out (questionable with Selby as well)? Taylor drives the lane better than anyone we have, and we need someone to do it to keep defenses honest and to get opposing bigs in foul trouble. Tyshawn also hits his FT's at a more consistent rate than a lot of our players.

What are you faulting him for? Taking good/smart shots and them not falling? He had 13 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, a steal, and 2 turnovers, and only gave out 1 foul in 35 minutes.

Comment

How about Selby as our starting PG?

Comment

How many baskets do we get off his misses?

Comment

Tyshawn Taylor does not fit the traditional KU PG we have seen for decades and I think that's why so many fans have issues with him. I am trying to think of another KU PG to compare him to but I can't think of who that would be.

Comment

Never go full retard, ICT. The Taylor hate is getting so fucking tiresome. Taylor is arguably KU's best perimeter defender when he wants to be, and he's a hell of a point guard. Sure, he misses his fair share of shots at times, and makes mistakes every now and then, but that's just the way it is. There's a reason that Self played Tyshawn for 35 minutes last night, and it's not because he sucked. He finished the game with 13 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, and only 2 turnovers. He also only committed one foul the entire game, despite guarding Mizzou's best perimeter player for the majority of the night.

Comment

Working...
                              X