Best Conference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Conference?

What's the pre-season best conference in WtW's opinion?

Looking at all of them, I think the Big 10 is always overrated. The Pac-10 is going to be crap without USC. ACC will be decent, and the Big East is never good.

That leaves the SEC and Big 12. Big 12 has a lot to prove, but their heavy hitters lost their starting QB's. But Florida lost Jesus Tebow. Alabama still looks good and Nebraska is getting a lot of attention (overrated, IMO.) LSU has talent, but hasn't delivered the past few years, same with Georgia.

At this point I think the SEC edges out the Big 12. But if Kansas and Tech can prove somethign with their new coaches, they may be the deeper conference.

Re: Best Conference?

mother fucker, I thought I was in Memorial. ITC, Hawker, or Hoopo, move this please.

Comment

I would have to go with the SEC. They have won what, 5 of the last 7 BCS titles? I think they are at a different level than most of the country. The Big XII generally craps down it's leg if they make it to a title game.

Comment

[quote author=LimeHawk link=topic=302.msg2566#msg2566 date=1281471559]
        I would have to go with the SEC. They have won what, 5 of the last 7 BCS titles? I think they are at a different level than most of the country. The Big XII generally craps down it's leg if they make it to a title game.

[/quote]

Colt McCoy getting injured early made a huge difference last year.

Comment

I agree, but, that's part of the game. It sucked for the cows, but, as my Gramps used to say:

If its and buts were candy and nuts we would all have a merry Christmas.

Comment

Easily the SEC. Until somebody can beat them. They've won the last 4 national championships, and its been 3 different teams. The Big 10 is always overrated, as is Nebraska. Yeah, Florida lost Tebow, but UT lost McCoy, and even though he didn't play much, OU lost Bradford.

Comment

I really don't see how it isn't the SEC. Defending champs and a myriad of other quality teams.

Comment

They may have won the title game, but that's just one team. I'm talking top to bottom. LSU has plummeted since their title run, so bringing them up is a stupid point. KU was in the Orange Bowl the same year LSU won the title. Are you going to say the Big 12 is great because of that? No.

Alabama and Florida are gonna be good this year, that's a given. I'm talking this year, and overall depth. Quit bringing up past years.

Comment

Fine, the SEC is still better top to bottom. 6 teams in pre-season 25, with 3 other teams receiving votes.

Big XII 3 in top 25, with 4 others receiving votes.

Edit: I am as big a homer as the next KU fan, but, I think it is going to take some lucky bounces this year for this team to do better than 6 wins. I hope they do better, but, I think the argument that the Big XII is a better conference than the SEC doesn't hold much water.

Comment

I didn't make that argument. I said Big 12 is slightly below the SEC. I think every year the SEC is incredibly hyped mainly because of it's top 2-3 programs (who are legit), but when a mid tier program takes it to one of those programs we start hearing how deep their conference is and everyone is so good. Look what Arkansas did to LSU when LSU won the title, then what Missouri did to them. Everyone hyped Arkansas because they beat LSU and it even got them into the top 25 (completely undeserving as the cotton bowl showed).

SEC football is ACC basketball. Always hyped as so great, but a little top heavy.

As to KU, I thought we could edge out 6-8 wins before all the injuries. Now I'm sitting at 5-7

Comment

i think it's tough for anyone to impartially say anything other than the SEC. I'm in big 10 county and even those morons admit the SEC is the best conference year in and year out.

Comment

Fair argument, and I agree with most points. However, I don't think you can use that Arkansas team as an example though. They had a coach that had just bailed on them and the players were pissed during that bowl game. Plus, Mizzou had a lot to prove after we beat them out for the BCS spot. It seemed like a foregone conclusion that Mizzou would run train on them.

That said, I think SEC is best conference top to bottom, but the top teams are so good that they overshadow the rest. I'd say from 5 through 12, they are probably on par with the Big 12.

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/previe...amp;id=5448863 is an article off of ESPN today talking about this issue, well mostly about the SEC, but whatever.

Comment

Working...
                          X