Clear All

• Oh my, Oh my

GT just beat unc 78 to 58

Ouch, that's gotta butt hurt ole roy

Re: Oh my, Oh my

MELTDOWN ALERT!!!!!!

InsideCarolina.com

Going bananas.

:runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :wow: :wow: :wow: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :wow: :wow: :wow: :devil: :devil: :shades: :shades: :shades: :shades: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway:

Comment

RAID? :runaway:

Comment

I think there was a "UNC March to the NIT" thread around here somewhere.

Comment

The old "open letter" meltdown...

An Open Letter to Coach Williams (long)
          Coach:
          I've been a fan for a long time. My video library has every Carolina game going back to 1991 and I watch games during the offseason to both scout Carolina players and observe basketball strategy. I'm a former player and student of the game, enamored with the Carolina Way forged by Dean Smith and now under your stewardship.

I don't fully understand why Matt Doherty was forced out, and regret he didn't succeed as Carolina's coach, but fully embraced you as head coach ever since. One of the proudest moments I have ever had as a Carolina fan came during your press conference following the 2005 National Championship game. I've also been incredibly impressed that you have been able to navigate the perilous waters of high school basketball recruiting to continue to bring in young men of good character and excellent basketball talent. That is no small accomplishment. You've made it easy to continue to root for Carolina's players because they are so likeable.

Last season was difficult for everyone. There was nothing to admire about the play on the court once the ACC season started. I don't fully understand how things got so bad and how they never truly got better until the run in the NIT when the team started having some fun again. But this season is still underway and this team is still evolving. Its evolution is being hampered, however, by two of the same problems from last year: guard play and outside shooting.

I've just come from watching the Carolina game at Georgia Tech at a bar in Washington, DC. The bar was filled with over 30 Carolina fans all expressing agreement that Kendall Marshall should be on the court as much as possible. Here on these message boards you can see the same assessment - pleaded through emotion or dispassionate quoting of the statistics so starkly in favor of playing Marshall more minutes than Drew.

Why didn't you start Marshall tonight? You've been using the Blue Team substitution pattern a bit this season and it seems fitting because there really are two Carolina teams: the one with Larry Drew and the one with Kendall Marshall. The one with Larry Drew seems like a group of impostors to me: they don't play well as a team and there is little recognizable between them and the many Carolina teams I've watched over the years. Conversely, the team led by Kendall Marshall plays like a team, even one that makes occasional mistakes.

What are you waiting for? I regret to say you missed a great opportunity tonight to keep momentum going and confidence growing following Marshall's superb performance against Virginia Tech.

As you've made clear in press conferences the past few years, you care little about a fan's opinion, but perhaps the following reality won't be wasted on you:

People who have known/observed you for a long time say you've changed. You don't enjoy the game as much anymore, you're not as friendly, and you've become stubborn to a fault.

Why continue to play Larry Drew? He doesn't play with any visible joy or passion and all the stats - and fans - demand Marshall. This just doesn't make sense to me.

And why start Strickland at shooting guard? He doesn't shoot! Only McDonald, Barnes, Marshall and Bullock have the confidence to take an open wing shot. Let Drew and Strickland play together as part of a trapping defense designed to create turnovers and push the tempo. Bring McDonald into the starting lineup with Marshall. They couldn't be any worse than Drew-Strickland and might just be a whole lot better.

And make the team keep their feet on the ground when opponents pump fake. It is dadgum embarrassing to see Carolina-coached players make such fundamental mistakes.

Yours very sincerely,
          A Carolina Fan

PS: I read your book. You are no longer that poor, pennyless, fatherless kid in Asheville. You are a millionaire in charge of a multi-million dollar enterprise. Drop the "Ole Roy" routine. It smacks of self-deception at best and disingenous Machiavellian calculations at worst. I much prefer the coach I saw that night in 2005 when he won his first National Championship. Bring that humble, honest, sincere, likeable and intelligent guy back please. I miss him.

Comment

Oh, how fast the Tarheel faithful have turned on their beloved Roy.

Comment

Fuck Carolina and Ruck Foy.

BILL SELF IS TWICE THE COACH ROY EVER WAS.

Comment

Roy's Quote from post game....

“We didn’t come frickin’ ready to play. I’m mad at the world. We stunk. I’m so mad I’d fight somebody with a chainsaw right now.”
                Why would Lew Perkins want to fight beside Roy Williams??? Who could these two pussies actually beat up?

Comment

LMAO @ unc.

Comment

Last time I checked, UNC had two natty titles under Ol' Roy. Dudes need to chill out.

Comment

[quote author=RandytheHelpfulPineapple link=topic=3220.msg36833#msg36833 date=1295280572]
                      Last time I checked, UNC had two natty titles under Ol' Roy. Dudes need to chill out.
                      [/quote]

What would we be saying if Self was in the same situation this year and last year?

Sure Roy will be remembered as a HOF coach as a whole for his career but fans feel the daily burn.

Comment

UNC should feel damn lucky that the ACC is so down this year because if they played in the Big 12 instead of TTU or Oklahoma they might only win 3-4 games.

Comment

[quote author=RandytheHelpfulPineapple link=topic=3220.msg36833#msg36833 date=1295280572]
                          [/quote]

Billy Donovan won back to backs and followed those with back to back NIT bids. Fair or not, it took at least some of the luster off those titles, and roi's underachieving teams have done the same this year and last, ESPECIALLY considering the talent on those teams.

Comment

“We didn’t come frickin’ ready to play. I’m mad at the world. We stunk. I’m so mad I’d fight somebody with a chainsaw right now.”
                            Roy on the warpath

Comment

Working...
                            X