X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pollard Discusses NCAA

Couldn't get a working link...so here's the content

NCAA Expansion A Cash Grab Rewarding Wrong People

We have a new columnist at Lost Lettermen and you may have heard of him. He’s a former Kansas legend and spent over a decade in the NBA, but you probably know him best for his crazy antics and absurd hair-dos. Now he’ll be writing for us once a week to talk about, well, whatever he wants. Below you’ll find his first column where he weighs in on the NCAA Tournament expanding to 68 teams. So step right up and into the mind of @scotpollard31 – if you dare.

“The NCAA men’s tournament is expanding to 68 teams this year. Is this because there are three more teams that need to be included in the tournament to make it the best 68 teams competing? Yeah, because letting more sub-.500 teams into the tournament will make sure the best team wins. Are you getting my sarcasm? Because I don’t seem to have a sarcasm button on my keyboard…

It’s about money. Of course. What else is new? Yes, I like money too. I’m not saying the NCAA should be a charity case. Everything is about money. However, in the case of amateur sports like college athletics (ha, amateur!), there should at least be the illusion of the best teams competing for the title without “tainting” the games by including EVERY team in the country. “The best of the best” is now officially a trite term in the men’s basketball tournament. Why? Because it’s not the best of the best. Every time the field is expanded, the field is diluted.

No offense to the small schools, the giant killers, the Cinderella stories. As painful as it is to me, the Northern Iowa’s beating the Kansas’s is what makes the tournament one of the most watched events in sports. It’s hard to win it all. You have (had!) to win 6 games in a row. It’s really hard to win a championship or else Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina or UCLA would win it every year.

Teams work year-in and year-out recruiting, scouting, practicing, and winning games to get selected into the tournament. Then at selection time, a team with a losing record gets in while a team with 18 or 20 wins does not. I get that. I get that some teams get automatic bids. What I don’t get is that the NCAA can expand the tournament to include more teams that will most likely lose in the first round instead of including more teams that are part of “the best of the best”. On top of that, they keep telling the public at large that it has more to do with the game than the $10.8 BILLION, yes BILLION, television deal that the NCAA signed with CBS last year.

I can swallow a lot – just ask my mom about me when I was growing up. But I can’t swallow that expanding the tournament makes it better. It makes it more lucrative. And that is all. End of story.

Don’t believe me? Keep in mind the NCAA is the company that sells “student-athletes” likeness’ to other companies that make video games that make BILLIONS on those likenesses. This is the company that oversees individual universities gross millions on national television games, apparel sales, commercials, and other licensing deals, without giving the kids that generate all that money ANY of it.

The tournament going to 68 teams = good for the NCAA pockets. The tournament going to 68 teams for players = another hurdle to jump over to get a ring in an already difficult tournament without any additional benefit (at least for the good teams). Keep the tournament special. Keep it the “best of the best”. Don’t include everyone and make it obviously about money. At least TRY to fool me…”

Scot Pollard’s column will appear once a week on *************.com. You can also find him on his website, Planetpollard.com, or follow him on Twitter at @scotpollard31.

Re: Pollard Discusses NCAA

What's the website this is from? It looks like it was wavingthewheat.com and the Phog blocked it out.

Comment

I like Pollard a lot, but that reads like a Freshman beat writter for the Kansan. The guy has interesting opinions and experiences, but he's not the best at expressing them.

Comment

he's never given me the impression that he'd be an eloquent writer

I just think its a fun article cause he's so "volatile"

Comment

Awesome read. Thanks.

Comment

Pollard has been interesting to follow in retirement. He had a twitter account last year he canceled. Now he's back on again. It looked like he was going to sell his Indy place and make Lawrence his permanent home, but now it looks like he is part owner in a wine bar in Indy. Interesting dude, but I love him.

Comment

Working...
            X