Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best players?

Self doesn't even know

“The thing that concerns me ... who are our best players?” Self said. “I don’t know. We talk about it as a staff, who are our best players? Elijah without question tonight was one of our best five players. Thomas is playing better than any big guy. We don’t even know who our best players are.

Re: Best players?

Heard this last night.... but can we not make comparisons in this regard to the 2008 team?

Comment

I think that I'll take Bill's problems over Frank Martin's right now.

Comment

I still don't get the 08 references...that team would demolish this one, but that doesn't even matter...talent level is much lower this year than that year

We need to develop a leader...and fast

Comment

I think the references are only in the fact that there was no real go to guy on the 08 team. Everyone was pretty good, and there wasn't really a true leader.

Comment

Right on, this team doesn't have a leader.

As for consistency, we don't have the player that night in night out can deliver. Our candidates for "best player" are Selby, Marcus, Markieff, TRob, and Reed.

Someone has stepped up so far in each game but you can see wild swings in performance. Selby was awful last night and looked like an All American at other times in his first 3 games. He hasn't even scratched the surface on what he can do. He has shown a real difficulty to get to the basket like Sherron could and isn't even as good as Tyshawn at driving the lane. He's made like 1 floater in 3 games and that was his only 2 points last night. He also has committed several awful turnovers.

Marcus has looked very good at times, and very bad other times. Especially on defense.
            Markieff looks the same.

TRob plays very very hard, but sometimes struggles getting the easy shot.

Reed has been streaky with his shooting all season.

Tyshawn will never be our "best player."

Self is right, we don't have a "best player." We have a compilation of athletes.

We don't have a leader either. Reed and TRob come the closest, and both do so by their actions rather than words. TRob is always moving, always chasing the ball. Reed demonstrated this during the Cal game. Marcus frittered his leadership away by losing his head against Cal. Selby has a cool demeanor, but I don't think he's earned instant leadership status, he's only played 3 games.

Comment

From what I've seen:

1. Taylor
              2. Selby
              3. Robinson
              4. Marcus
              5. Releford

Johnson moving up fast. Markieff and Reed have some great games.

The rest are, well, the rest.

Comment

I remember in '08 and before when people said B Rush was a lazy player, not good on defense, etc, etc.

We have a lot of talent, it's hard for someone to take over this team.

Personally, I see Brady taking that roll.

:dirtybird: :dirtybird: :dirtybird: :dirtybird: :dirtybird: :dirtybird: :dirtybird:

Comment

[quote author=dewarsrocks link=topic=2979.msg33908#msg33908 date=1293757063]
                  I remember in '08 and before when people said B Rush was a lazy player, not good on defense, etc, etc.

We have a lot of talent, it's hard for someone to take over this team.

Personally, I see Brady taking that roll.

[/quote]

No. I've been saying all along that this is Withey's team. As goes Withey, so goes KU.

Comment

Working...
                  X