• Show
Clear All

• Looks like the most stable lineup is going to consist of

Selby
    Reed
    Morningstar
    Morris/Releford
    MK Morris/Trob off the bench

I certainly don't think it's the most capable lineup and foul trouble will dictate a bunch of stuff, but that crew runs the offense and makes the fewest mistakes, imo. TT and EJ both need to take a cue from Morningsleeves and understand that we need defense and roleplaying at the other guard position when paired with Selby. It's not pretty but we don't need a playmaker when he's in there.

The Morrii have largely been studs but I think Robinson has given us some really important minutes. Comment on his woofing all you want but he's a manimal on the glass and cleans up the trash for putbacks.

Also, while I don't care for Releford's game all that much, or the liability at the 4 defensively, he does have the ability to take the bigger man to the hoop and his drives and ft's last night created some stability. That was to be Little's spot obviously and his role is similar.

Looks like the most stable lineup is going to consist of

I agree with most of this. Releford at the 4 scares me on defense but he has been able to use his athleticism to cover for the most part. I am just not sold on him though. He doesn't seem to have the hands I'd like to see. Rarely see him catch one of those quick passes down low that a 4 needs to do. Also his driving has fallen off the last few games. I would like to see him pick that back up. Ideally he plays the 3 and Withey steps up to help cover a few minutes at the 5 and the Morii and Trob rotate through the 4-5. But I'm dreaming I know.

Comment

Re: Looks like the most stable lineup is going to consist of

Agree with that. He's a pretty poor ball handler all in all but if/until Little comes back, that's Releford's spot to lose. I don't think he gets any guard run the rest of the year unless TT and EJ face plant the rest of the way. It's obvious that Self has no confidence in Withey, largely because he has no confidence in himself.

[quote author=ICThawk link=topic=2904.msg32669#msg32669 date=1293123578]
      I agree with most of this. Releford at the 4 scares me on defense but he has been able to use his athleticism to cover for the most part. I am just not sold on him though. He doesn't seem to have the hands I'd like to see. Rarely see him catch one of those quick passes down low that a 4 needs to do. Also his driving has fallen off the last few games. I would like to see him pick that back up. Ideally he plays the 3 and Withey steps up to help cover a few minutes at the 5 and the Morii and Trob rotate through the 4-5. But I'm dreaming I know.
      [/quote]

Comment

The lineup is going to change depending on who we are playing. There may be a few teams that BM and TR just won't be able to play D against who you'd need TT in there. Taylor's defense is actually pretty good one on one.

EJ, last night, shouldn't have been running point. If Selby's on the floor together, he needs to be bringing it up until the offense is set. They are both combo-guards, so have Selby run it until thep lay it set and then they should be good.

You guys are forgetting that Selby also has turnovers, he had 5 last game. He's just so good you can't say bench him like you can TT. I think TT will stay in the lineup with Selby.

Comment

To me, Releford has had no business starting at the 4. He's short and small for that position.

I'd agree with most of your assessment but I think that the starting 5 should be TT, Reed, Selby and both Morri. TRob and Morningstar of the bench and a little of EJ and Releford sprinkled in.

It is clear Self has little confidence in Withey. I see a 7-8 man regular rotation. What I don't get is Self's insistence on playing Little/Releford at the 4. I don't see that they play better post defense than Mk or TRob, they don't score as well as either, and the only real baskets recently for Releford have been in transition. I don't know if Releford has any upside. I kept hearing how Little and Releford were really good in practice last year at scoring the ball, etc, but I also heard about the mad skillz of Jeremy Case in practice too. I just don't know if Travis will really impact this team after the conference season starts.

Little is pretty much a shooter from 10-15 feet away, and I really honestly don't foresee him playing any time in the near future.

Comment

[quote author=KVN638 link=topic=2904.msg32675#msg32675 date=1293124392]
            The lineup is going to change depending on who we are playing. There may be a few teams that BM and TR just won't be able to play D against who you'd need TT in there. Taylor's defense is actually pretty good one on one.

EJ, last night, shouldn't have been running point. If Selby's on the floor together, he needs to be bringing it up until the offense is set. They are both combo-guards, so have Selby run it until thep lay it set and then they should be good.

You guys are forgetting that Selby also has turnovers, he had 5 last game. He's just so good you can't say bench him like you can TT. I think TT will stay in the lineup with Selby.
            [/quote]

Selby does have some pretty awful turnovers, but the difference between his TO's and TT's TO's is that he can score at will it seems. Selby's good for sure, but he can improve a lot. He seems to have difficulty getting into the paint with ease like Sherron did but seems to shoot much better.

Comment

It is interesting to see all the different viewpoints this season.

I don't think Releford is suited for the 4 but I think that is where he'll play for the most part. I do agree that lineups will be situational.

I also agree that TT is a good defender. He just needs to realize that is what we need most and tighten up offensively. I think it's a fair point that he needs to be more Robinson and less Chalmers.

Comment

It is also different when comparing TO's with a Freshman in his 2nd game and a Junior who has essentially run point for 2 years.

Comment

[quote author=ICThawk link=topic=2904.msg32684#msg32684 date=1293125721]
                  It is also different when comparing TO's with a Freshman in his 2nd game and a Junior who has essentially run point for 2 years.
                  [/quote]

Selby is clearly > than TT. And if he can get the TO problem under control watch out.

Some of the little flashes of brilliance I have seen from him so far make me happy in my pants and to think it is only his second game.

Comment

[/quote]

I don't care how long you've been playing D1 bball, a turnover is still a turnover and that's how we are measuring all these players... It wasn't turnovers/time played. It was just turnovers.

Comment

[quote author=KVN638 link=topic=2904.msg32689#msg32689 date=1293126917]
                      [/quote]

I don't care how long you've been playing D1 bball, a turnover is still a turnover and that's how we are measuring all these players... It wasn't turnovers/time played. It was just turnovers.
                      [/quote]

The point I was making was not that the turnovers were less, but that they are slightly more forgivable.

Comment

They hurt the team equally, so it's not really less forgivable in my viewpoint. I think the only argument is that Selby is far more productive on both ends of the court, so you can't get as angry wtih him about it because he scores at will.

Comment

[quote author=KVN638 link=topic=2904.msg32693#msg32693 date=1293127677]
                          They hurt the team equally, so it's not really less forgivable in my viewpoint. I think the only argument is that Selby is far more productive on both ends of the court, so you can't get as angry wtih him about it because he scores at will.
                          [/quote]

That is what I am saying. Its harder to get as pissed because Josh makes baskets so easily.

Comment

Working...
                          X