Bonnie Begins Her Road To Unemployment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonnie Begins Her Road To Unemployment

Lost to a 4-4 Michigan team on the road.

Re: Bonnie Begins Her Road To Unemployment

Haven't been following the season...so I don't know if this is sarcasm

8-1 seems pretty good...a closeish loss to a 4-4 Michigan on the road doesn't seem to warrant firing

I'm assessing this as sarcasm....but does this mean we're gonna drop our game with CSU

Comment

I think he is assuming this is the beginning of a major faceplant. She has had some very close victories versus bad teams and we are a pretty sketchy 8-1. If she had a boss she would be on the shortest of ropes. Without a boss she probably is under the radar a bit.

Very nice lady.

I once flew on a flight to Mexico right next to head coach for Michigan State's women coach. After long talk I asked him why he felt that KU struggled to duplicate the success of our men's team for women's hoops. He explained recruiting women couldn't be more different than men. duh, I know. But he said, "They don't care about exposure, they don't care about tradition, most would say, 'wilt chamberlain who' their interests in a college ranks #1 clean and new facilities, nice locker rooms, nice dorm rooms, friendly teammates, school/studies, winning team." He said tradition wouldn't rank in their top 20 things. He also said he had heard that KU's women's facilities were, "gross." (This was prior to our latest remodel)

I finally made it to Mexico. He was chatty.

Comment

[quote author=WavetheWheat link=topic=2622.msg29864#msg29864 date=1291993892]
        I think he is assuming this is the beginning of a major faceplant. She has had some very close victories versus bad teams and we are a pretty sketchy 8-1. If she had a boss she would be on the shortest of ropes. Without a boss she probably is under the radar a bit.

Very nice lady.

I once flew on a flight to Mexico right next to head coach for Michigan State's women coach. After long talk I asked him why he felt that KU struggled to duplicate the success of our men's team for women's hoops. He explained recruiting women couldn't be more different than men. duh, I know. But he said, "They don't care about exposure, they don't care about tradition, most would say, 'wilt chamberlain who' their interests in a college ranks #1 clean and new facilities, nice locker rooms, nice dorm rooms, friendly teammates, school/studies, winning team." He said tradition wouldn't rank in their top 20 things. He also said he had heard that KU's women's facilities were, "gross." (This was prior to our latest remodel)

I finally made it to Mexico. He was chatty.
        [/quote]

Did he give you any insight to Bonnie?

Comment

[quote author=Joe Norris link=topic=2622.msg29833#msg29833 date=1291953850]
          Haven't been following the season...so I don't know if this is sarcasm

8-1 seems pretty good...a closeish loss to a 4-4 Michigan on the road doesn't seem to warrant firing

I'm assessing this as sarcasm....but does this mean we're gonna drop our game with CSU
          [/quote]

No sarcasm, just my reaction. She's on year 7 and has not made the tourney. The AD who hired her is now gone and the new one will be on board before the season. They will be able to evaluate her and the program. She's extremely nice and says all the right things, but she's getting her butt handed to her in the Big 12. It won't get easier with 18 conference games next year in what is probably the best women's conference in the country. She righted the ship and put it on solid ground, but she has not proven to be the person to take it to the big tourney. She has time this year, but these losses in non-conference have happened every year.

Comment

She had just been hired if I recall correctly. He liked her. Thought she was a solid coach.

He told me KU would never be a successful women's program unless they redid their locker rooms, facilities and mainly dorm rooms.

Comment

[quote author=WavetheWheat link=topic=2622.msg29892#msg29892 date=1291999292]
              She had just been hired if I recall correctly. He liked her. Thought she was a solid coach.

He told me KU would never be a successful women's program unless they redid their locker rooms, facilities and mainly dorm rooms.
              [/quote]

Well, we've got that taken care of as of last year.

Comment

They need to recruit in-state better. KSU has had very good teams that have been made up with a lot of Kansas girls. We actually produce a lot of good female basketball players in this state for some reason. Hell, Wichita has, I believe, the #1 ranked girls team in the country right now at Heights.

The girl from Andover last year was phenomenal, and she is the starting PG at Oklahoma St. this year. Ashia Woods from Collegiate is going to KSU next year. These are just a couple off the top of my head. I don't know why KU seems to be so against recruiting local talent, but it has been stupid.

Comment

[quote author=Hawker007 link=topic=2622.msg29915#msg29915 date=1292003574]
                  They need to recruit in-state better. KSU has had very good teams that have been made up with a lot of Kansas girls. We actually produce a lot of good female basketball players in this state for some reason. Hell, Wichita has, I believe, the #1 ranked girls team in the country right now at Heights.

The girl from Andover last year was phenomenal, and she is the starting PG at Oklahoma St. this year. Ashia Woods from Collegiate is going to KSU next year. These are just a couple off the top of my head. I don't know why KU seems to be so against recruiting local talent, but it has been stupid.
                  [/quote]

Bonnie has done decent work around this area. She's gotten many KC girls since starting. Now Washington was a different story. She was stubborn her last few years and it cost KU many good in-state players (i.e. Jackie Stiles).

Comment

Recruiting is starting to get better. I seem to remember reading that they are bringing in a 4 Star freshman from Texas next season.

Comment

To be fair, the first seven minutes of that Michigan game were played with a men's ball.

Comment

Bring Marian out of retirement. :dirtybird:

Comment

[quote author=Hoopo link=topic=2622.msg30148#msg30148 date=1292109450]
                          [/quote]

Marian and Lynette shared the same mailbox. That sort of stuff in itself separates MBB from WBB.

Comment

[quote author=DrJamesANaismith link=topic=2622.msg30243#msg30243 date=1292197360]
                            [quote author=Hoopo link=topic=2622.msg30148#msg30148 date=1292109450]
                            [/quote]

Marian and Lynette shared the same mailbox. That sort of stuff in itself separates MBB from WBB.
                            [/quote]

You mean the Bill Self-Brandon Rush 2005 weekend in Vegas is supposed to be secret?

Comment

Working...
                            X