Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Coach…Danny Manning?

HTML Code:
    <div style="float: right; padding: 10px;">[img]/articles/dannycoach01.jpg[/img]
    <center>Mark Ransdell, The Kansas City Star</center></div>
    That is the big elephant in the room. The thing Kansas fans don’t want to talk about. Some don’t even want to think about it. Why? Blasphemy Warning: Some Kansas fans don’t believe he is qualified for the job or even worse they don’t think he can handle the job. Of course for this to happen, Coach Bill Self would have to scratch that NBA itch or ride off into the sunset. But what would happen? Would Kansas hire their most hallowed hero? If they did, would he be able to keep the “juggernaut on fire?”

Let’s pretend for a moment that the impossible has happened. The year is 2014. Coach Self has just put together another championship squad and cuts down the nets that March. He then announces that he is going to “take his talents” to the NBA. Through all the streamers and confetti comes a sense of uneasiness for the Kansas program. Do they hire Danny Manning as their next head coach? The university puts together a short list of candidates; on that list for consideration is Danny Manning. What would the committee look at when comparing the pros and cons of his hire?

Pros
    Recruiting:
    Recruiting is such a cut throat game in college basketball. The naming of Manning as Head Coach would provide a seamless transition for the recruits. Chances are good that any future recruits will have already been talking to both Self and Manning. So the chances of losing out on some of those recruits should be minimal.

Development of players:
    Manning is considered one of the top big man developers in the nation. What is truly remarkable is that he takes players that were not highly rated coming out of high school and turns them into NBA draft picks. See Darnell Jackson, Sasha Kaun, and the amazing development of the Morris twins for an example.

He’s a “Kansas guy”:
    This goes without saying but a lot of programs like to hire “their” guys. How could anybody forget him putting that ’88 team on his back and winning the national title? Even as an assistant coach at Kansas he won a title in 2008. Manning also would spend his summers in Lawrence, Kansas when he was playing in the NBA. No question that Manning is a “Kansas guy.”

Cons
    HTML Code:
    <div style="float: right; padding: 10px;">[img]/articles/dannycoach02.jpg[/img]
    <center>Rivals.com</center></div>
    Head Coaching experience:
    As of right now he doesn’t have any. In fact to be accurate he doesn’t even have that much coaching experience at all. He just started being a full-time assistant in 2007. Does he need head coaching experience to coach at Kansas? Roy Williams says “hi.”

Quiet and reserved demeanor:
    Manning has never been the outspoken type. He has always been quiet and reserved. On the court he just led by example, which worked well as a player. But does this work as a head coach? Can a coach at a high profile program such as Kansas be the quiet type?

Expectations:
    This is a combination of Manning and Self. Self has brought the Kansas program to heights that even the most optimistic of the Kansas faithful can be amazed by. Following that will be hard enough. But being who he is, it may make it even more difficult. The expectations would be through the roof. What is even more worrisome would be what if he doesn’t live up to the lofty expectations? Could Kansas be put in a position to have to fire its most famous alum?

The question would be after weighing the pros and cons is does he even want the job? Would he want the pressure of coaching at his alma mater? The one thing that is for certain is that seasons will pass, and players will come and go. But the time will come. Will they or won’t they?

Jason Spencer is college basketball writer for WavingTheWheat.com covering the Kansas Jayhawks and RushTheCourt.net covering the Big Sky Conference. He can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter at @SpenceSports

Re: Head Coach…Danny Manning?

Quality article...encompasses many of my feelings, but in a much nicer package

welcome to the site Jason

Comment

Nice first article. I have to agree with most of those points. It&#039;s the unknown that scares me. I love Danny, and honestly would LOVE if he became a successful head coach! That would be a total Win/Win.

What about the other Assistants? Any options there?

Comment

[quote author=ICThawk link=topic=2498.msg28512#msg28512 date=1291330955]
        Nice first article. I have to agree with most of those points. It&#039;s the unknown that scares me. I love Danny, and honestly would LOVE if he became a successful head coach! That would be a total Win/Win.

[/quote]

Don&#039;t we get a proper introduction to this guy? When did we get an official writer?

Comment

Yeah, I say you should introduce him in Oread

Comment

[quote author=Joe Norris link=topic=2498.msg28674#msg28674 date=1291397649]
            Yeah, I say you should introduce him in Oread
            [/quote]

Welcome Jason Spencer

Comment

[quote author=ICThawk link=topic=2498.msg28512#msg28512 date=1291330955]

[/quote]

I think the &quot;short list&quot; would be...

Jamie Dixon
              Jay Wright
              Mark Turgeon
              Mark Few
              Brad Stevens
              Josh Pastner

I really believe that it would be either Dixon or Wright but I guess ya never know. What does everyone else think?

Comment

Jamie Dixon and Jay Wright seem to be on the top of everybody&#039;s list now. KU is a job that might pull them though.
                I think that Bill has another decade in him and I don&#039;t really see the NBA allure. Mike Lee might be ready by the time Bill hangs them up. :cheers

Comment

I&#039;d like Turgeon to someday take over, because it would be great to have a KU guy. I don&#039;t think he&#039;ll be quite ready for the job for a while though.

Comment

Head CoachÂ…Danny Manning?

[quote author=Jayhawker link=topic=2498.msg28772#msg28772 date=1291419651]
                    I&#039;d like Turgeon to someday take over, because it would be great to have a KU guy. I don&#039;t think he&#039;ll be quite ready for the job for a while though.
                    [/quote]

What&#039;s the age difference between Self and Turgeon?

Comment

Can&#039;t be any more than 4-5 years. Self was a Grad-Assistant on the 86 team that had Turgeon on it.

Comment

Re: Head CoachÂ…Danny Manning?

[quote author=ICThawk link=topic=2498.msg28773#msg28773 date=1291420556]
                        [/quote]

What&#039;s the age difference between Self and Turgeon?
                        [/quote]

Turg is 45, Self is 47. I thought Turgeon was younger than that.

Comment

I&#039;m betting Manning will get a head coaching job somewhere else first, if that&#039;s what he wants. Spencer&#039;s article presumes that some smaller school won&#039;t already have taken Manning. Danny may not want the pressures of being a head coach, and he may not need the money that being a top ranked coach can earn. He likewise may not want to leave his beautiful home in west Lawrence and the alma mater that treats him like one of it&#039;s greatest heroes.

I&#039;m guessing somebody significant will come calling eventually. Manning&#039;s knowledge of the college game and the pros makes him an ideal candidate to help guys measure up to what&#039;s demanded. In fact, given his record with Self so far, and the aforementioned ability to help big men develop -- add Nick Collison to that list above -- makes Danny a desirable pick for somebody eventually. Who knows, maybe he&#039;s already had offers and turned them down.

If for some reason Manning is still with Self and KU when Self decides to end his KU career, first pick is Dooley to take over. Second pick is Manning*. I&#039;d fully support either taking over for KU at some point. Both are badass motherfuckers.

(*Apologies to Kurtis Townsend, who I&#039;m sure is a fine coach as well.)

Comment

you bring up a ton of good points. i like the one where a small school picks manning away. but then i think kansas fans would have a much easier time with him coming back as head coach. i think the &quot;unknown&quot; is where the debate is. if he goes somewhere and gets head coaching experience then he absolutely will be a candidate. as it stands now though he is a little bit of an &quot;unknown&quot; when it comes to the head coaching gig. it would be very interesting to see what the administration would do if self were to leave. do they interview him? do they snub him all together? do they hire a dixon type candidate? does manning accept a position on his staff? lots of fun variables to think about.

[quote author=Hoopo link=topic=2498.msg28786#msg28786 date=1291424898]
                            I&#039;m betting Manning will get a head coaching job somewhere else first, if that&#039;s what he wants. Spencer&#039;s article presumes that some smaller school won&#039;t already have taken Manning. Danny may not want the pressures of being a head coach, and he may not need the money that being a top ranked coach can earn. He likewise may not want to leave his beautiful home in west Lawrence and the alma mater that treats him like one of it&#039;s greatest heroes.

I&#039;m guessing somebody significant will come calling eventually. Manning&#039;s knowledge of the college game and the pros makes him an ideal candidate to help guys measure up to what&#039;s demanded. In fact, given his record with Self so far, and the aforementioned ability to help big men develop -- add Nick Collison to that list above -- makes Danny a desirable pick for somebody eventually. Who knows, maybe he&#039;s already had offers and turned them down.

If for some reason Manning is still with Self and KU when Self decides to end his KU career, first pick is Dooley to take over. Second pick is Manning*. I&#039;d fully support either taking over for KU at some point. Both are badass motherfuckers.

(*Apologies to Kurtis Townsend, who I&#039;m sure is a fine coach as well.)
                            [/quote]

Comment

I don&#039;t really follow Texas A&amp;M basketball so I&#039;m not sure of the answer. What kind of system does Turgeon run? Is he a defensive minded coach? What is his style?

[/quote]

Comment

Working...
                              X