Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At the risk of dating some of you, anyone remember the tartan floor at AFH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At the risk of dating some of you, anyone remember the tartan floor at AFH?

Howland talks about it in this article. I was completely unaware that we ever had one of those surfaces.

I've kind of been fascinated by the tartan playing surfaces some colleges used to use. I have a DVD of some of KUs greatest games and we played NC State in 1987, their court was tartan. I played a few games back in middle school on these surfaces.

Kind of a shitty idea to use that surface for basketball. You'd think it would tear the shit out of your knees.

Re: At the risk of dating some of you, anyone remember the tartan floor at AFH?

For some reason I never knew that there was a tartan floor in the Field House. My middle school had a tartan floor and I remember one of the school we played against in high school had one too and Fort Hays State had one for years. Hated the stuff. It was really hard on knees, not just the pounding your joints took but there was no give when you planted. Pretty sure orthopedic surgeons were sorry to see them go. It's also really strange to watch a game on one. Ball makes a dull thud when dribbled and no squeaking of sneakers... weird.

Comment

[quote author=CrushedDove link=topic=2494.msg28393#msg28393 date=1291311780]
      For some reason I never knew that there was a tartan floor in the Field House. My middle school had a tartan floor and I remember one of the school we played against in high school had one too and Fort Hays State had one for years. Hated the stuff. It was really hard on knees, not just the pounding your joints took but there was no give when you planted. Pretty sure orthopedic surgeons were sorry to see them go. It's also really strange to watch a game on one. Ball makes a dull thud when dribbled and no squeaking of sneakers... weird.
      [/quote]

One of the middle schools I played against had one. The surface was not sticky anymore. You know how when old rubber dries out and gets a hard crumbly surface? That is what this was like. It was like slipping and sliding all over. To top it all off, it was impossible to sweep the dust off because it was cracked and dry. It would have been preferable to play on carpet.

I played on another surface that was a bit better, but still didn't like the stuff. I think one year I went to the Heskett Center (WSU's "Robinson Gym") and played a 3 on 3 tournament and IIRC they had tartan surface there too.

Comment

according to tony guy, is was valentine who decided it was time to go back to wood

http://books.google.com/books?id=bwo...rt&f=false

(how do i insert a link as text?)

Comment

I played on that surface in few gyms around Chicago and it was POS. The older ones would definitely make you slip and not only did that make it hard on the knees, groin pulls were always right around the corner.....queue the wisecracks.

Some of my best memories of AFH weren't all the games themselves. In the early 80s the place was open to pickup games in the evening and I can remember playing pickup games with and against Kelly Knight and a few of the other players.

Comment

"Tartan" are the cheap, rubbery type floors correct? If so, those suck ass.

Comment

our middle school had this floor. we only used it for p.e. and basketball practice. our games were played on the wooden high school court.

i don't remember injuries because tartan was hard on the body, just injuries from kids sliding all over the place on it. any amount of dust on the floor and it was an ice rink. it was horrible.

Comment

You run no risk whatsoever of dating me. Carry on.

Comment

Working...
                X