I feel good about this team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel good about this team

A lot going on, a lot of options. Good basketball ahead.

And the twins.

Re: I feel good about this team

didn't get to watch (damn studying)...had gamecast up...looked like defense was pretty damn good

anything else to add?

Comment

Marcus is legit. Kieff will bang. Tyshawn playing within himself. Tyrell playing more aggressive. Mario and Travis playing in the flow. TRob has made the jump.

Playing fast, throwing lobs, hitting threes. This team has the make to be special. Oh and 2 5* pgs didn't play.

Comment

[quote author=Joe Norris link=topic=2194.msg24607#msg24607 date=1289877618]
        didn't get to watch (damn studying)...had gamecast up...looked like defense was pretty damn good

anything else to add?
        [/quote]

CPA test?

Comment

I went tonight and Mario Little played his best game of the year, Releford left his offense in the locker room, and Brady running the point was painful to watch.
          Frackin zone defense all night just uglies a game. Very few attempts to penetrate from the perimeter
          God do we need Josh Selby.
          Defensively we played better but Valpo had some little quick guys that constantly gave us trouble. Valpo's bigs were kinda weird and hard to guard and they didn't mind playing pretty rough inside.
          Tyshawn had kind of a strange night. He only tried to take it into the lane a few times and wasn't very successful doing it.
          Brady running the point was painful. Royce ran it the last couple minutes and actually looked good doing it.
          Twins looked VERY good and T-Rob is coming right along.
          Withey doesn't have much of a role in a bar fight like tonights game.
          The team that I saw tonight was an 7-9 loss team that contends for the Big XII title and doesn't quite get there and is maybe in the 4-5 seed range for the NCAA tournament.
          I was a bit sad for Selby tonight. The kids in street clothes have to go out for the shoot around and the pre-game warm up and stand there at the half court line and watch. I can sort of see why they make them do it but for a kid like that, It has to just kill him to stand there and watch.
          Have I mentioned yet that he could be very important to this team?

Comment

We need Selby to become really elite team. No doubt about that. Aside from that, and from tonights game....

1. Morris Twins will dominate every game this year. They just bring it. Need them to stay out of foul trouble and on the floor.
            2. TRob is a beast. Rebounding machine. He has found his touch, and has developed some solid post moves. He is playing with so much more control its amazing.
            3. Withey has the skill. He still needs more lower body strength. He can't push against a guy posting with his legs like TRob or the Morris Twins can. This causes him to push with his hands/arms and gets stupid fouls.
            4. Releford can play. His shot is much improved. He is a very good perimeter defender. He will start at the 3 and play a lot this year.
            5. Reed found it for a while tonight. When he gets hot...look out. Everything he missed was right on...a little short...little long...in and out...just off.
            6. Taylor is much more under control this year as well. His shot is pretty good when set.
            7. Brady just shouldn't be playing. He doesn't look comfortable at all with the ball. He isn't a scorer. He can play decent D, but won't be able to stay with good quick guards once we start playing them.
            8. Little definitely has offensive skill. The guy has a pretty mid range game. He is decently quick and strong with the ball on offense. He just has no position on defense. He is too small to play the 4 and he is too slow to play the 3. Sucks because the kid works hard and has skill, he just doesn't have a position for us.
            9. We will win the Big 12. We will be a serious Final Four contender. Hopefully Selby gets cleared sometime soon. I just want to see the kid play and he needs to develop some kind of chemistry in game situations with everyone else.

Comment

The only concern I have is with rebounds. At times, it seems like the guys go after them so aggressively that they end up knocking it out of bounds or into the other teams' hands. It's almost like their fighting over who gets the rebounds. It's something I've noticed in every game so far and it strikes me as potentially problematic.

Comment

[quote author=Jayhawker link=topic=2194.msg24632#msg24632 date=1289886585]
                The only concern I have is with rebounds. At times, it seems like the guys go after them so aggressively that they end up knocking it out of bounds or into the other teams' hands. It's almost like their fighting over who gets the rebounds. It's something I've noticed in every game so far and it strikes me as potentially problematic.
                [/quote]

I would much rather have them fighting over rebounds than standing back and watching the other team get them.

Comment

Geezer, I don't know what game you watched, but you are way too negative for how much we improved after Longwood. Defense was the focus and we did well. I don't see how you thought they were giving us trouble...

Releford hit his open shots and drove and kicked like he's suppose to, and he plays very solid defense. If anyone is expecting Releford to "step up" and become a scorer for this team, you're going to be incredibly disappointed. We have the twins, taylor, and hopefully Selby as more likely options before Releford. Think of our 08 team. What did you expect out of Robinson? Defense and to hit open 3's if he gets them. He usually did. You don't expect him to go off.

There is no way in hell the team you saw tonight is a 7-9 loss team. The team I saw looked very good even without Selby. The team you saw tonight would definitely beat the Kstate and Mizzou teams you saw Friday. Where are the other losses coming from?

Comment

Have to say I am with dom and against geez.

This team is going to be very good.

We will thrive through the post when the twins are playing zone or man.

So player by player eval.

Marcus: What else could we ask for at this point? If he continues to play at this level, with his multiple skills, he will challenge for AA status. He is going to be best at the 3/4 and in situations that let him play between those positions. He can clean up the board, but we need to get him in space and let him work. It will be best when he draws out a big defender, but as a three he will also be dangerous. If you play a zone against us, put him as a 4 and let him work from the free throw line.

Kieff: Keiff will play a 4/5 position. When we go big he can play 4, with a back to basket game and a strong rebounding presence. He can also stretch the D and we can play a big four out game. If he plays 5, he can play a strong post game and also pass out of the post. Mostly Keiff needs to be a beast, and pick his spots.

The biggest attribute of both twins is how well they pass. They can play 3/4/5 and still set up the offense.

Withey: a true 5, but also with 4 skills. His role this season will be cleaning up on D and O. If he can post up or become a good defender that is a bonus. His defensive presence can start a break on the other end.

TRob: TRob is ready to make a leap. The biggest thing from him is that the game has slowed down. It is a cliche, but he is no longer lost on either end of the floor. He will continue to rely on his athleticism, but he is finding better spacing on both sides of the floor. He is not a liability. He can finish on both ends, if he continues to understand his role at worst he will have great spot minutes, and at best he will have double-doubles and control the game at times.

Little: I don't know, not sure if anyone does. Can he play a hybrid role? Hit some shots? Drive at times and create mismatches? I expect him to be a fifth big that Bill will put in spots. When we have interesting lineups he can create, pass it off and hit some shots.

Releford: Had some good moment tonight. Is certainly a tweener. In an open court he looks good, but has developed half-court skills. Can he continue to knock down the open shot? When the comp gets more intense will he still feel comfortable driving to the hole? He seems to move the ball well in the half-court offense and I think he will get minutes over Little and MStar if everything is going well. His upside is better than both in a 3 role if he can continue to give positive minutes. There is much talk about his defensive ability and that will be very imp't as we move forward as Bill loves guys who can play defense on the wing.

BStar: Brady continues to be fine. However, if we want to be great Brady can't get a lot of minutes. We need production from all spots. If Brady continues to be a glue guy that tells us that we aren't ready. Bill's great teams allow glue guys to get the sets started (read: RusRob) but we need scoring from the 3 to be great. Brady can fill spots, but he can not be a 30 minute guy for this team to excel.

Tyrell: Not just b/c they are white, but Ty needs to steal all of Brady's minutes. He is a bit more flexible at the 1/2/3 than Brady. He is a better shooter, can run the point in spots and can move the ball. Can he defend, will he continue to knock down shots? Ty is less than effective if he is not hitting. If this team is going to be great he should be the guy who comes in and can pressure the D and knock down a few threes. I don't want any more from him.

Tyshawn: Ty needs to turn himself into RusRob in this offense. Move the ball, don't let it stick. Attack the bucket when it is there and hit the open three when it is needed. He should start the offense and wait for it to come back around. RusRob's great quality is that he disappeared until we needed him to step up, Tyshawn should play the same role. There are scorers all over the place. As a scorer, he is more talented than Rus, but he needs to take on that role.

EJ: TBD. Apparently he needs to stop smoking weed in public. He needs to take on a similar role to Tyshawn in this offense. If he can hit some threes that would be a bonus.

Selby: This, of course, is the wildcard. By all accounts he needs the ball in his hand to be effective. Can he dish for oops? Can he hit the three? Can he play off the ball, when out bigs need to go to work?

I like a lot about this team so far. There are many things about which to be excited. The best Bill Self teams seem to work the ball to the best player and accentuate the 3. Nothing mind blowing there, but if Marcus can truly take that position on we can fit the other pieces around him. We can go big or small.

When it all shakes out I think the lineup looks like: Selby, Ty (shawn or rell), Marcus, Kieff and Withey or Trob. Two or three scorers on the floor with everyone else playing their role, but also being able to score.

Thoughts?

Comment

I'm pretty much on board with everything vorsk has said. With Little, he's going to struggle when he has to play the 4. He's got to play the 3 to be productive on both ends. Our rebounding is a little wild, as has been mentioned, but I like the aggressive play. Defense is up and down, but it's been two games. We always find out what type of team we have when conference play starts under Self. November and December lay the foundation for success in January and February. With Self's teams, I enjoy the ride for the first couple of months and then wait and see what we do in conference play for our March/April success.

Comment

I've seen precious little footage, but I've got major concerns with Taylor at PG, based on what I've seen of his play over two years. I think harder-nosed PGs will abuse him. I'd love to be totally wrong about Tyshawn. He seems more like a 2 guard to me. What's the scoop on Elijah?

Comment

[quote author=Hoopo link=topic=2194.msg24745#msg24745 date=1289927472]
                          I've seen precious little footage, but I've got major concerns with Taylor at PG, based on what I've seen of his play over two years. I think harder-nosed PGs will abuse him. I'd love to be totally wrong about Tyshawn. He seems more like a 2 guard to me. What's the scoop on Elijah?
                          [/quote]

Smoked some reefer. Failed a drug test. He'll be back friday.

Comment

Yep

Comment

[quote author=vorsk link=topic=2194.msg27194#msg27194 date=1290944659]
                              Yep
                              [/quote]

Yep to reefer or yep to you like this team?

Comment

Working...
                              X