Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Stop Believing (long)

Don’t Stop Believing.

The JoPa article posted by JoeNorris got me thinking about my experience.

To set the stage of my mindset:
    Everyone knows how this season has gone all year. The start of this game was no different. It was pretty pathetic from the beginning of the game until the end of the of the 3rd quarter. We were down 28-3 late in the first half. We'd thrown two absolutely pathetic passes for interceptions. We scored a touchdown late in the half of a really good Beshears run which was our only bright spot. Colorado turned around and started going the other way immediately before the end of the half. Then the most controversial play of the game was the Barfield hit. It looked completely clean. Barfield laid him out with a really hard hit, the type of hit that can change the momentum of the game. The ref’s then threw a flag. It was bull shit. The crowd was livid. The worst part was that it gave CU the ball really close to the goal line and they scored right before half making it 35-10. It took all momentum away before half. What was even more terrible was that this game looked absolutely like every other disappointing KU loss we've had this year. Colorado started the 3rd quarter with a field goal making it 38-10. We scored a touchdown making it 38-17. Right at the beginning of the 4th quarter CU scored making it 17-42. As Billy Packer would say "This game is ovah!"

I've had season tickets for years and we've taking my 4 year old daughter to nearly every game since she was born. I didn't buy tickets this year because we moved farther away from Lawrence and I knew the season was going to be a disaster. The ticket prices for the family zone went up another hundred bucks and I didn’t really want to spend the money to drive 3 hours and watch us get drilled. My daughter wanted to go to a game all season. She's been talking about football season since July. She wanted to go to a KU football game and I told her the season didn't start until after her birthday. So she waited. Then the season went from bad to worse and I wasn't going to buy tickets at all. Call me a bad fan, call me a bandwagoner, call me cynical.

In early October my daughter asked when we could go to a KU game. Coincidently that evening I checked my email and KU Athletics had that 10/10/10 sale. Every time I've gone to a KU-CU game, KU's won. I've never seen them lose so I picked up the CU tickets for cheap because it was the last chance I saw us winning at that point.

After the K-State and Texas A&M games I was tempted to not even go to the game, but my daughter really wanted to go. I had just thoroughly felt like I've had the crap kicked out of me ever since the CU game last year all the way through the NDSU game and the start of the conference. I didn't want to go. I've watched every minute of all the games this year that were on TV, and listened to the entire ISU game last week. But I didn't really feel like driving up spending a ton of cash and watching our team get the shit kicked out of them by a bottom feeder. But again, my daughter really wanted to go.

In the first half we were sitting in section 10 row 53. I watched the disaster of the first quarter and I was pretty pissed. It was pretty cold in the shade of the press box and my daughter started cheering “Go KU Beat Colorado and K-State.” (Keep in mind, she’s four). I could tell the people around were getting slightly annoyed at her doing this repetitiously the whole first quarter so we thought we'd move closer to the cheerleaders in the first row in at the north goal line. We settled in at section 10 front row near some friends of mine. My daughter enjoyed watching the cheerleaders and having a great time, the most beneficial part of this was that her cheers started to follow what the cheerleaders were doing so we got rid of the repetitious cheer she was stuck on. We sat down there through the third quarter and nothing really changed to set my mind at ease about the football season. I sat there with a few people I knew who continued to mock the coaching staff and Lew Perkins and the 2 million we were paying him each year. The people we were with decided to leave at the end of the third quarter. I contemplated leaving. My daughter had no idea what was going on but she was having a blast, so we decided to stay. The weather was warm in the sun, but as the shade from the press box started coming it was getting colder and colder.

The Comeback:
    We moved over to the bowl with 12 minutes left chasing the sunshine and warmth it brought with it. Shortly after we moved, James Sims ran it in for a touchdown right in front of me. There were 11 minutes left and we were down 45-24. I started doing the math in my head to see how we could win. I quickly decided it was a pipe dream, so I decided to do the math in my head trying to calculate what the score could have been if we had not been screwed by the officials on the Barfield personal foul at the end of the half in which Colorado scored a TD. I was trying to calculate a small moral victory. If we could lose by 10 or 11, say 34-45. I'd know that 7 of those points CU scored should have been removed from the board making it 35-34 in my mind. Also we had a what I thought was a shitty call go against us when Patterson caught and ran all the way down to the 4 yard line and it was called back and we later punted, it occurred to me that removed another score we could have had and the game should have been that much closer.

After Sims scored with 11 minutes left in the 4th I watched the kick off. From the front row in the bowl you can't see anything. I could hardly see what happened on the onside kick except the ball change directions drastically. The next thing I knew they gave us the ball. We quickly drove the ball down the field. I watched Mecham throw to Wilson. I could see my hopes for a comeback go up in flames because I saw the defender who was playing pretty good coverage go up for the pass and I thought it was going to be an easy pick just like the two Mecham threw in the first half. The defender’s timing was off. The pass barely cleared his hands and Wilson caught the ball. There was a flag as well. Wilson recovered, ran down the sideline and dove in for the TD right in front of me. In the blink of an eye the game was within two possessions with and there was a ton of time left on the clock. I looked at my daughter who is going crazy and I thought back to myself as a child watching games and plotting the victories and thought this could really happen.

We had the wind at this point and Branstetter was booting through the endzone on his kickoffs so I didn’t have to worry much about a big return. The next Colorado possession was quick. They ran a reverse. From my vantage point, I couldn’t see Opurum coming from the other side until he cleaned the guy's clock and it looked like the Colorado receiver was flopping around like a fish. I jumped up and celebrated the hit because he was nailed for a loss. I couldn't really tell what was going on otherwise and assumed the play was over and gave my wife a high five. The next thing I know I turned around and saw Patmon running right at me for the TD. It was a one possession game and visions of overtime are dancing through my head.

Then on the next possession Hawkins rolls out and throws right. I see Patmon dive for the ball and catch it. I jump up and celebrate. I knew we were going to win. Sims scores. Boom, game tied. The KU ushers are moving down to the field at this point to block the gates to the field.

After that kickoff, I am delirious and am jumping up and down hoping our defense can continue to dominate and hold him for regulation. Hawkins dropped back and throws in the flat. A KU defender jumps the pass, gets his hands on it, but the ball is just a little too far away, the pass falls incomplete. Colorado punts and we get the ball back. I watched the clock tick down. I see we gain yardage. I am thinking field goal. Then I see the hand off to Sims. He runs left right at me. He cuts back right and there is no one around and TOUCHDOWN! That is when the KU field personnel were mobilizing their crew to get to the entrances to the field. The poor kid standing next to me in charge of the gate has his cell phone out filming the Sims celebration behind the goal post when his supervisor runs up and chews his ass to get back to watching his gate. The stands are so pathetically empty at this point that any rush on the field would be deemed embarrassing. Shortly after this McDougald runs right in front of me and gives my daughter a high five.

I didn't think we had a chance in hell until everything went just right for us, but I had that little feeling in my gut that we could do it that I tried to squash. What was the most awesome thing about Saturday and the thing that I will never forget is that I was sitting there with my little daughter just watching her have fun. She had no idea what was going on. From the first quarter when we were sitting in row 53 she was cheering "GO KU, BEAT COLORADO AND K-STATE!" over and over again. Her older skeptical parents decided since the game was shitty we'd move to the front row so she could interact with Big Jay and the cheer squad. I couldn't see shit from down there and that was a good thing. But she was having the time of her life. We wanted to leave, but she wanted to stay. She had been looking forward to this all fall.

We moved down to the bowl so she could still see and not freeze her ass off and all the magic happened right in front of us. She screamed and yelled and screamed and yelled. I'm sure she had no idea what she was witnessing but she was at least having fun. And because of her, and her begging to go to a KU game this fall I stayed the whole game and saw something I'd never forget. The mind of a child is truly a wonderful thing. This game, and the 2008 National Championship should be reminders to all of us skeptics that anything can happen.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

-JHawk2001

Re: Don't Stop Believing (long)

Rock Chalk indeed. You might want to save this and show it to her when she is picking out colleges.

Comment

She only has one choice.

Comment

Very nice read.

I'm not sure I would put beating a putrid Colorado team at home in the same category as the National Title Game comeback but very nice nonetheless.

Comment

[quote author=filmfanatic24 link=topic=2039.msg22698#msg22698 date=1289247000]
          Very nice read.

I'm not sure I would put beating a putrid Colorado team at home in the same category as the National Title Game comeback but very nice nonetheless.
          [/quote]

Yeah but both are amazing comebacks that you really couldn't predict and both required the perfect storm to become reality, which was my point.

Comment

Awesome post....I got chills, seriously.

Comment

When we sit at another wedding table in three years I will remind you what you said about TG in front of your daughter. You pansy.

Comment

[quote author=vorsk link=topic=2039.msg22835#msg22835 date=1289272947]
                When we sit at another wedding table in three years I will remind you what you said about TG in front of your daughter. You pansy.
                [/quote]

In three years Turner still might be on his way out. My feelings about his abilities as a coach are unchanged. But I can at least enjoy the victory and be proud to be a Jayhawk.

Statistically the 4th quarter is what we'd call an "outlier."

Comment

[quote author=Jhawk2001 link=topic=2039.msg22839#msg22839 date=1289273514]
                  [quote author=vorsk link=topic=2039.msg22835#msg22835 date=1289272947]
                  [/quote]

In three years Turner still might be on his way out. My feelings about his abilities as a coach are unchanged. But I can at least enjoy the victory and be proud to be a Jayhawk.

Statistically the 4th quarter is what we'd call an "outlier."
                  [/quote]

You sentimental bastard.

Comment

The air in here seem a little dry to anyone else? I think I may have something caught in my eye.

Comment

The Colorado game was the reason why I stayed throughout the KState and A&M game...I'm am an eternally hopeful person.

Comment

Working...
                      X