I have kind of a problem with this Toben Opurum tweet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have kind of a problem with this Toben Opurum tweet

Lol UDK is a joke. We lose...we're wrong. We win...we're wrong. That's alright...we do it for us...not ya'll.
    24 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Ok, I suppose that you could read that as he is saying the team doesn't play for the UDK. I don't read it that way. Either way, the people who write for the UDK are KU fans just like you and me. I know you have to play for each other and the entire bandwagon that was around the football program has been burned to the ground, but if you say you aren't playing for the fans I have a problem with that since it is my season ticket money and my Williams Fund contribution that are paying for you to go to school.

Re: I have kind of a problem with this Toben Opurum tweet

Twitter has made these players so much more transparent....the guys have really been critical of the fans this season

I'm not sure how I feel about it...and I'm sure it's frustrating for them, but they have to realize that football costs fans time and money and I'm not gonna commit a weekend and $100+ to drive up and watch them get thumped by KSU

Comment

I would agree that if I were a player I would be frustrated if people were leaving at halftime of a game that is within 14 points.

However, they have been no where close to that for most of the BIG 12 games.

Just don't say you aren't playing for the fans, cause we pay for you to have the privilege to play division 1 football and get a free education.

Comment

Why would you be pissed about that?

They shouldn't be playing for the fans. They should be playing for the team, and to win the games and because they love the game.

You/I/we are just there to enjoy the show. Even when they're winning, they aren't/shouldn't be playing for the fans.

Comment

I don't think you dignify any of the criticism, deserved or not, with a response.

That said, being a player in today's media and technological environment sucks balls.

Comment

I guess. But you have to have some self control too. I don't spout off on Twitter about jack ass customers, so why can't they keep it in?

Comment

I absolutely agree.

[quote author=filmfanatic24 link=topic=2031.msg22688#msg22688 date=1289246097]
              I guess. But you have to have some self control too. I don't spout off on Twitter about jack ass customers, so why can't they keep it in?
              [/quote]

Comment

Well, I think the overwhelming difference is you're an adult and they're college kids...this isn't our first social networking problem we've seen with athletes...and it won't be the last

they simply don't have a filter....you just hope that your kids are smart enough to stay out of the spotlight

Comment

Geez Joe, how old do you think I am? I'm not that far out of college.

Anyways, I agree that a lot of times they are just young kids who can't filter themselves but I think some of these football players are taking this "us against the world" mentality to mean just those in the program and not the fanbase, and I'm sorry that they think that.

Comment

I'm not that far either, but I know what does and does not belong out in the wide world of twitterz

Comment

He's probably talking about Max Vosburgh's column today, where he basically sat there and blasted the KU football team for the drop off. It's really par for the course for that guy anyways. All he's done this season is throw the team under the bus and talk about how terrible they are.

Rather than discussing the historic come back, or that this team didn't give up and fought to the end, or Mecham's strong second half performance, or any of the other positives of the second half, he decided to take Gill's quote of "I want to thank God" and run with it. The column wasn't criticism of where the team needed to improve, in fact, he didn't even really talk about the bad aspects of the 1st half. He just went on and on about how far the program has fallen as if we were perennial Title Contenders for the last decade. There was 0 substance to it, and it was just bitching for the sake of bitching. This quote was great:

"Credit to the players for not giving up, but only if you're at peace knowing you're one of the worst teams in a BCS conference will you thank God for winning at home against a team almost equally as bad. If Kansas really did turn a corner in the last five years, let's not be satisfied with wins against bad teams."

I'm with Toben on this. Hell, even Wave was pleased after this game, and that's saying something. This isn't the same as calling out fans for leaving early or not showing up, this is calling out fans for not recognizing that this win was actually a pretty big deal and a huge confidence boost for a team in major rebuilding mode. It doesn't matter who the opponent is, a comeback of that caliber can help a team stay motivated when they get behind in the future.

Comment

Agreed, it CAN be a great motivator and builder in the future. It is up to the players and coaches though. I'm still very happy that we won, but slightly discouraged by things I'm reading on the internet about he we turned a corner, etc., etc.

Lets call a spade a spade. We got our asses kicked for 3.25 quarters by a really bad team and then miraculously (granted we did a lot of things but Colorado went brain dead) got a win. I really do hope that the team will use that 4th quarter as a step in the positive direction but I'm going to withhold judgement for now.

Comment

I don't have a problem with this. The UDK IS a joke...and I think thats what he was referring to when he said "ya'll". He didn't mention the fans. I think you're looking way too far into a tweet.

Comment

Working...
                          X