No announcement yet.

Jayhawks No Longer on 610

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listening to KK now. He sounds defiant to me. Talking about his "blackball list" ... saying nothing changes. Quite butt-hurt I'm thinking.

Comment

Jack Harry next on Between the Lines...should be interesting.

Comment

"KU should never been on the radio. And that's Jack's Smack".

Comment

I very very rarely listen to talk radio anymore. I don't know how y'all still do it.

Comment

Originally posted by DeutschHistorian View Post
            I very very rarely listen to talk radio anymore. I don't know how y'all still do it.
            I am making an exception out of curiosity in this case, but I don't think we'll get a really good read on it until football season starts.

Comment

Welp, that's all folks!

KU in, K-State out

In the past, 810 also carried play-by-play broadcasts for KU’s rival, Kansas State. However, KU fans won’t have to worry about situations in which the Jayhawks and Wildcats have games with overlapping time slots.
              According to WHB chief operating officer and general counsel Alok Srivastava, K-State games no longer will air on Sports Radio 810.
              “We’ve had a great relationship with Kansas State for 18 years, and we’re going to continue to provide great coverage of all the local schools,” Srivastava told the Journal-World. “We don’t know where they’re going to be broadcasting next year, but they’re not going to be on 810.”

Comment

Originally posted by JayhawkLifer View Post
                Welp, that's all folks!

KU in, K-State out

In the past, 810 also carried play-by-play broadcasts for KU’s rival, Kansas State. However, KU fans won’t have to worry about situations in which the Jayhawks and Wildcats have games with overlapping time slots.
                According to WHB chief operating officer and general counsel Alok Srivastava, K-State games no longer will air on Sports Radio 810.
                “We’ve had a great relationship with Kansas State for 18 years, and we’re going to continue to provide great coverage of all the local schools,” Srivastava told the Journal-World. “We don’t know where they’re going to be broadcasting next year, but they’re not going to be on 810.”
                The rather blunt way that Srivastava broke the news (KSU out) leads me to believe there was indeed some internal strife over the decision which needed to be nipped in the bud and put to rest. I am sure that KK is not happy with this, but it is still a good move for the station.

KK seemed unable to hide his disappointment; his monologue was quite defensive. I don't blame him for trying to protect and retain control over the intellectual content of his program, yet I'm sensing he's not at all a happy camper right now.

I think there are three or four years left on the KSU contract with WIBW. Our football program is likely to be back on track by then, so I wouldn't be surprised if KU is in the running for that contract when it is up. That may be a hard contract to get, but it would make the network very, very strong.

What I don't know is how our network is configured out of Wichita. Improving, refining, or expanding that agreement is hopefully the move KU will make in the meantime.

Does anyone know who the "blackballed" guest that he kept mentioning (at least twice) on the show is?
                Last edited by WhiteJak; 07-26-17, 07:38 PM.

Comment

So where will K-State go? 580 Topeka?

Comment

Originally posted by All4KU View Post
                    So where will K-State go? 580 Topeka?
                    I believe KSU already has an agreement with WIBW 580 Topeka

http://cjonline.com/sports-catzone/2...ng-am-580-wibw

Comment

Well that's a shame. I will not give 810 even a second of my listenership even for KU games.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteJak View Post
                        I believe KSU already has an agreement with WIBW 580 Topeka

http://cjonline.com/sports-catzone/2...ng-am-580-wibw
                        Then all is well. Hugs all around.

Comment

I have always listened to 105.9 when I can't watch or if Fran is doing the game. Comes in fine in south JOCO. Not sure how it does the KCMO area and beyond.

Comment

105.9's signal starts getting weak once you get north of the river or close to the sports complex, I find.

Comment

What's up kids?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post
                                Not saying you're wrong, but care to elaborate? All I know of KC Sports Radio is basically what I read in this thread, what I've read on phog, and what I knew from my college days (which I assume doesn't apply anymore)

does 810 have a bigger footprint? It sounds, from this thread, like they have better talent....will KK have to pretend to be a KU fan?
                                If I recall 810's footprint is one of the largest in the nation.

Comment

Working...
                                X