Is this Taylor's Break Out year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Taylor's Break Out year?

Kansas University basketball combo guard Tyshawn Taylor, who lost his starting job twice — and regained it both times during a roller-coaster sophomore season — is hoping for a breakout junior campaign.

The 6-foot-3, 185-pounder out of Hoboken, N.J., is off to a solid start. He was the first player cited by coach Bill Self in assessing Friday’s Late Night in the Phog 20-minute scrimmage.

“I thought Tyshawn was terrific,” Self said after Taylor scored nine points off 4-of-8 shooting, dished two assists and grabbed two rebounds while playing 14 minutes in a 40-39 Blue-team victory over the Reds.

Taylor smiled when informed of his coach’s words of praise.

“I felt good. I was just playing, having fun,” Taylor said. “I always want to start off good and I always want to be consistent. I think it’s one of my biggest things for this year, being consistent. Hopefully the next time people see me, I’ll play just as well.”
    Thoughts? Assuming Selby gets cleared, can Tyshawn step up and make some plays?

Re: Is this Taylor's Break Out year?

“I miss Sherron a lot, just his presence,” Taylor said. “I’ll miss him more on the court. It’s going to be a different situation this year. When the clock gets under 10, the ball is going to go to Sherron.

“Now it might be me the team looks for when the clock is under 10. It was his time. Now it’s our time.”

At times, Collins took his defender 1-on-1, either driving to the goal or hoisting a long-distance three to conclude a KU crunch-time possession.

“I don’t think it’s going to be done the same way,” Taylor said of situations as the clock expires. “I think we’ll get it done, but not the same way. You can’t teach stuff like that. Sherron just had ‘it.’ I’m getting better on three-pointers (after making 19 of 56 last year) but I don’t think coach will let me just dribble around and shoot it.
    Very interesting...

Comment

No.

Comment

[quote author=The42FootLongSchlong link=topic=1619.msg17509#msg17509 date=1287500993]
        No.
        [/quote]

I worry about the Christian Moody effect with Taylor. Back in the day, Moody was getting all sorts of hype as a great player, but the reality was he sucked. Big dub would get double teamed all day long and open Moody up for easy two footers. His senior year, he got a scholarship, but was moved to the bench to make way for Freshman talent.

The question is what is he going to do now that the best on the ball defenders are going to be on him, rather than Sherron?

Comment

[quote author=RandytheHelpfulPineapple link=topic=1619.msg17513#msg17513 date=1287501498]

I worry about the Christian Moody effect with Taylor. Back in the day, Moody was getting all sorts of hype as a great player, but the reality was he sucked. Big dub would get double teamed all day long and open Moody up for easy two footers. His senior year, he got a scholarship, but was moved to the bench to make way for Freshman talent.

The question is what is he going to do now that the best on the ball defenders are going to be on him, rather than Sherron?
          [/quote]

Valid point... I guess for me it all comes down to Selby for Taylor. If Selby gets to play and is the stud he is supposed to be, then that does free up Taylor (not any more than last year though).

Comment

Working...
          X