Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At least with Gill we shouldn't have this problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At least with Gill we shouldn't have this problem...

Athletes play role in Domestic Violence

Aug. 30: Missouri running back Derrick Washington is arrested on suspicion of felony sexual assault. He is accused of assaulting a former tutor.

Sept. 6: Wake Forest's Tony Woods, a center on the basketball team, is arrested on suspicion of assault. He is accused of kicking and pushing his girlfriend and reportedly fracturing her spine.

Sept. 14: Florida wide receiver Chris Rainey is arrested on suspicion of aggravated stalking. He is accused of sending a text message to his girlfriend that read, "Time to die."

Oct. 5: Baylor's LaceDarius Dunn, a guard on the basketball team, is arrested on suspicion of aggravated assault. He is accused of breaking the jaw of his longtime girlfriend.

And in Charlottesville, Va., former Virginia lacrosse player George Huguely sits in jail, awaiting a January trial. He is accused of the murder of his girlfriend, Yeardley Love, who also played lacrosse at Virginia.
    Long read, but interesting.

Re: At least with Gill we shouldn't have this problem...

"Countless studies have been done and none have come up with concrete answers. The most comprehensive -- which included only a sampling from 20 Division I institutions -- was done in 1995 by Southern Virginia University professor Jeff Benedict. He found that while athletes made up only 3.3 percent of the male population, they accounted for 19 percent of the sexual assault cases."

My first thought was 'yikes', but then my second thought was 'they probably get much more than 6x the amount of ass normal students do'.

Comment

[quote author=RandytheHelpfulPineapple link=topic=1604.msg17388#msg17388 date=1287418423]
      "Countless studies have been done and none have come up with concrete answers. The most comprehensive -- which included only a sampling from 20 Division I institutions -- was done in 1995 by Southern Virginia University professor Jeff Benedict. He found that while athletes made up only 3.3 percent of the male population, they accounted for 19 percent of the sexual assault cases."

My first thought was 'yikes', but then my second thought was 'they probably get much more than 6x the amount of ass normal students do'.
      [/quote]

When you coach them to be aggressive on the field, it's hard to turn it off when they are around booze, drugs, and women. Of course we won't have that issue at KU. First, we'd have to be aggressive on the field. Second, we have bed time before many of these events take place for college students.

Comment

Comment

[quote author=CStop link=topic=1604.msg17397#msg17397 date=1287419358]
          [quote author=RandytheHelpfulPineapple link=topic=1604.msg17388#msg17388 date=1287418423]

[/quote]

When you coach them to be aggressive on the field, it's hard to turn it off when they are around booze, drugs, and women. Of course we won't have that issue at KU. First, we'd have to be aggressive on the field. Second, we have bed time before many of these events take place for college students.
          [/quote]

ZING!

Comment

Working...
          X