University of Nebraska regents approved a $9.25 million settlement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University of Nebraska regents approved a $9.25 million settlement

The Big 12, under its bylaws, had sought to withhold 80 percent of Nebraska's actual slice of the conference payout for 2009-10 and its projected distribution for 2010-11. That would have been an estimated $19.4 million.
    Full Article

Our conference leadership is so piss poor. While that doesn't really effect the OU's and UT's, that kills schools like us.

Re: University of Nebraska regents approved a $9.25 million settlement

Beebe is better than Madoff. This settles it. I can't believe any of the big schools agreed to stay based on the promise of exit fees.

Comment

Exit Fee's is a joke... the TV Contract is a joke... Beebe is a joke.

Comment

I was ranting about this months ago. I've jumped straight from rage to acceptance that we two schools will be toiling in obscurity in C-USA in 5 years.

Comment

You knew both sides would settle. Everyone was sneaking around and seeing what conference would take them. Both sides didn't want those emails out. $16M between CU and Neb was probably as good as we were going to get. Hell, CU probably could have stuck around another year and really screwed up logistics of the new Big 12.

Comment

[quote author=CStop link=topic=1603.msg17401#msg17401 date=1287419679]
            You knew both sides would settle. Everyone was sneaking around and seeing what conference would take them. Both sides didn't want those emails out. $16M between CU and Neb was probably as good as we were going to get. Hell, CU probably could have stuck around another year and really screwed up logistics of the new Big 12.
            [/quote]

Why did the Big XII have to settle? How was Beebe not holding all the cards? What does the Big XII care abotu the financial status of two school in a different conference now? Why not hold their feet to the fire as a sign of strength to the other school. If MU wants to leave.... now they know they can get out cheap (someone has to want them first). This sets a BAD precedent.

Comment

[quote author=ICThawk link=topic=1603.msg17482#msg17482 date=1287498070]
              [quote author=CStop link=topic=1603.msg17401#msg17401 date=1287419679]
              [/quote]

Why did the Big XII have to settle? How was Beebe not holding all the cards? What does the Big XII care abotu the financial status of two school in a different conference now? Why not hold their feet to the fire as a sign of strength to the other school. If MU wants to leave.... now they know they can get out cheap (someone has to want them first). This sets a BAD precedent.
              [/quote]

Maybe that's the point. It could be that the power players in the conference want an easy exit.

Comment

I hear ya Randy. My question is who really had the power to make the decision? Did the schools vote? Was it the Big XII administration? If it was the BigXII why would they care what UT, OU, aTm want? Make em all pay. I don't care that we get none of the money, I just thinks its WEAK leadership to let them out with a slap on the wrist.

Comment

In other news, UT expects to be able to launch its own network by next year:

"Longhorn Network will agree to a television partner soon - probably, but not definitely — Fox. DeLoss Dodds told me he still expects it to be up and running by next fall and thinks Texas will have the rights to show one Texas football game and several basketball games."

Comment

we weren't getting any of the exit fees anyway though, right?

Comment

[quote author=sweaterbydarwin link=topic=1603.msg17553#msg17553 date=1287511414]
                      we weren't getting any of the exit fees anyway though, right?
                      [/quote]

That's the speculation. Supposedly, Beebe agreed to guarantee UT, A&M and OU $20mm/yr. Beebe said that the five have nots: MU, KU, ISU, Baylor and KSU would forfeit their rights to the exit fees. UT and OU's leadership later said they wouldn't accept a larger share of the exit fees. Then A&M started asking when the Big 12 would make good on the $20mm.

If I had to guess, the Big 12 is going to put it in a slush fund and the big 3 will magically get a larger share of that pie some how.

Comment

Working...
                      X