Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I did not miss a home game for 4 straight years 05-09...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did not miss a home game for 4 straight years 05-09...

Not one. That included multiple times being "that guy" that went by himself and meeting up with friends tailgates. I missed weddings for KU football. I angered the wife on at least 4 occasions because of my refusal to "miss any f'n football games."

So the first game came for this year. My wife says, "are we going together or are you going solo?" I said, "I am not going." She looked at me while her jaw it the floor. I just couldn't do it. And so it continued for every home game this season. I think somewhere in my peon little brain if I don't see it live. It didn't happen.

I see two major steps that KU fans will have to eventually deal with (I am already there:)

1) Turner Gill is not and never has been the man for the job. Too soft. Too friendly with players. This tactic works when you get players that are dying to play college football like you got at Buffalo. Self motivated bad football players looking for a chance. This works at small time football, it doesn't work at a school like KU. Can you sign a few of these "heart kids?" Sure. You can't build your program around them at the BCS level. So you are left with the leftovers from Texas, OU, Colorado, KSU, Mizzou, TCU, Texas A&M, TexasTech, etc. Often some of these kids are talented, but need an extra "kick in the ass" to get going. Read Aqib Talib, Dez Briscoe, Anthony Collins, etc. His weird no cussing rules. No bitches after 10pm. Cheesy motivational acronyms are other major red flags. I was here day 1. I'd guess 80% of KU fanbase are at this point.

2) What Mark Mangino did here was truly great. Yes, I saw the end of his tenure. I was there for 0-7. Even taking that in to account the job Mark Mangino did here was very very impressive. He made us relevant. Even during that losing streak, you know teams game planned against us and were prepared to play a good football team. I think younger KU fans thought we could take KU football to another level. I don't think you realize the level he brought us to was unprecedented. This might unfortunately take a couple coaching hires for some to realize that the job at KU is really difficult. Mangino made it look easy. Call me a realist. But if you can guaruntee me that we would be competing for a bowl every year (6-7 wins) and then 5 years rising up for a great season (10 wins) with an occasional dud (5 wins.) This is a realistic place for KU football. This is where Mark Mangino had it. Unfortunately it will be a LONG, LONG time before we get back to even that level.

===============

Now you know why I was banned off two KU sports websites for ranting about Perkins firing of Mangino and hiring of Turner Gill.

Many, many people use the "Mangino had to go after all the information was leaked and we went 0-7" Let me just paint you an alternate picture that I tried to explain at the time. Let's pretend, I am AD and those 4-5 players and families approach me after the CU game complaining about "abuse" and coach Mangino. I explain to them, "I am going to take this very seriously and I will launch an investigation about this, but I need a deal from you. This is quiet. No press. You come to me if you have questions."

I do the investigation. Find very little, some off color remarks that shouldn't be said. Hold another private meetings with players/families. Tell them your plan of having Coach Mangino attend sensitivity training seminar. No comments like that were brought up will be tolerated. As for you players, you will be welcomed back to the team with open arms, or more likely I will help facilitate your transfer to any school that you like that would be interested in your services. (Hopefully they transfer)

The families likely go to the press. You back your coach. Support him and tell media about sensitivity training. Privately you tell coach you recognize what an incredible job he has done. I guarantee without the pending investigation and mayhem surrounding the team we don't go 0-7. Mangino is still here and we are not where we are today.

Sorry for length.

Re: I did not miss a home game for 4 straight years 05-09...

Well said WtW. I was seriously considering not renewing my season tickets next year (I've had them for 6 years now) while I was walking back to my car last night. Losing is one thing, but they can't even put a competitive team on the field. I could go grab 22 dudes around campus that would put out more energy against their archrival than what we put out there last night.

Comment

I want to give the guy a chance...but he's been making me look like a fool now for 4 out of six games

I don't want to be that guy that gives up on a coach half way through his first season....but holy crap...to get owned in every sense of the game buy a mediocre at best k-state team makes me sick to my stomach

I have never given up on the team before this year....but I have turned the game off half way through twice this year...that, too, makes me nauseous (sp?)

Comment

I sat through 4 years of the Terry Allen era as an undergrad.....

watching last night brought back so many bad feelings

Comment

I sat and watched the entire game from beginning to end.

I saw glimpses and short spans of something good but then a pass would be dropped or we'd get stuffed or we'd let Carson Coffman look All-American.

I'm still hopeful.

Comment

[quote author=sglane link=topic=1585.msg17235#msg17235 date=1287150288]
            I sat and watched the entire game from beginning to end.

I saw glimpses and short spans of something good but then a pass would be dropped or we'd get stuffed or we'd let Carson Coffman look All-American.

I'm still hopeful.
            [/quote]

Wow, you seriously need to lay down the crack pipe then.

Comment

I didn't like the Gill hire from Day 1, but tried to think that he could turn it around. I was super highly critical of him after game 1. I was critical of him prior to the season starting just because of all the hokey things he did. I didn't renew tickets for the first time in like 5 years. Lets just say I am glad I didn't. I bought a few tickets on the 10/10/10 deal. I saved money. Hell, they were so cheap I can skip if it gets too bad.

Does this make me a bad fan? I don't think it does. Last night confirmed that I made the right call.

Comment

I think you guys are over reacting. We didn't look that bad.

Comment

[quote author=RandytheHelpfulPineapple link=topic=1585.msg17249#msg17249 date=1287152631]
                  [/quote]

You are right, compared to a High School team we didn't look that bad.

Comment

I did not miss a home game for 4 straight years 05-09...

[quote author=RandytheHelpfulPineapple link=topic=1585.msg17249#msg17249 date=1287152631]
                    [/quote]

Randy I REALLY wanna be on your side of this. So PLEASE convince me!

What did you see last night that gives you ANY hope that we don't lose out the rest of the year? What did you see that proves we have a shot at winning ONE conference game? PLEASE convince me. I want to believe!

Comment

[quote author=filmfanatic24 link=topic=1585.msg17253#msg17253 date=1287153201]
                      [/quote]

[/quote]

I think Randy was trying to be funny...

Comment

[/quote]

Absolutely top-quality bbs'n

Comment

[quote author=Hawker007 link=topic=1585.msg17259#msg17259 date=1287154349]
                          [quote author=filmfanatic24 link=topic=1585.msg17253#msg17253 date=1287153201]
                          [/quote]

[/quote]

I think Randy was trying to be funny...
                          [/quote]

My sarcasm meter isn't on this morning.

Comment

Last year, I missed a couple of games because we were on our honeymoon, but we scheduled our own wedding for the bye week. The year before that, we didn't make it to Ames for the Iowa State game - closed on our house and moved in that weekend. The year before that, missed at Colorado. The year before that, didn't go to Toledo...

I've missed 5 total games home/away/neutral in the last 4 years...and I'm thinking of not going to homecoming. I'll go to Lawrence, but I don't think I'm going in the game...I'd rather eat my tickets than support this crap.

Sorry.

Comment

Working...
                            X