2011-Forever Big 12 Schedules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2011-Forever Big 12 Schedules

Although brutally tough, I look forward to playing every conference team each year. I agree that the conference should focus on stabilizing itself and current members before looking to expand, but I'm not sure there will be many appealling teams left to bring in if the conference waits too long.

Comment

[quote author=filmfanatic24 link=topic=1354.msg14557#msg14557 date=1285874603]
      What, pray tell, would be the appeal of Air Force to the Big 12?
      [/quote]

Well for one they are a considerably more realistic option than some of the names people keep throwing around (Arkansas, the AZ schools, BYU, ND, I have even heard some people suggest Boise).

Comment

Didn't Boise just take a spot in the....Mountain West? was it?

Comment

Boise needs to fuck off and die. I REALLY REALLY REALLY fucking hate Boise St. and their gay-as-shit blue field.

Comment

[quote author=Joe Norris link=topic=1354.msg14567#msg14567 date=1285876428]
            Didn't Boise just take a spot in the....Mountain West? was it?
            [/quote]

Yes they did. Yet, it seems like I talk to people every week or so who seem to think Boise wants to be in the Big 12. Not sure where Boise will be in a few years when they MWC implodes though.

Then again, these are the same people who also say "KU should just join the Big 10" and "The Big 12 should add TCU and Iowa."

After reading this post again, I realize that I need to find new friends.

Comment

Yes, you're hanging with some of the wrong people

if they think any of what you posted is possible

Comment

[quote author=KVN638 link=topic=1354.msg14514#msg14514 date=1285868814]
                I just don't understand why the Big 12 isn't getting aggressive in finding replacements for NU and CU. CU is much easier to replace and I think adding Louisville would more than make up for CU. Finding a replacement for NU would be tough.

Arkansas is a stretch. I think the Arizona teams probably are too. BYU is still floating around...
                [/quote]

I don't think it will matter much in the end. In a couple years the conference won't be around anyway. The whole saving of the conference was a ploy between Beebe and Texas to get them more time to develop their network and set up new schedules. Beebe has promised all this money, but no TV network has yet to sign on the bottom line for any of this.

My prediction is that Texas will become independent and OU and aTm will go to SEC. Dont' know where everyone else will go.

Comment

Arkansas loves the SEC...the money, the rivalries, etc

There's no way in hell they would switch to the Big 12

that's a complete pipe dream

Comment

[quote author=Evolvehawk link=topic=1354.msg14668#msg14668 date=1285936413]
                    Arkansas loves the SEC...the money, the rivalries, etc

There's no way in hell they would switch to the Big 12

that's a complete pipe dream
                    [/quote]

They might like playing closer to their homebase, but there is a reason they left the SEC. Texas. They aren't coming back to deal with a much bigger Texas ego.

Comment

[quote author=KVN638 link=topic=1354.msg14514#msg14514 date=1285868814]
                      I just don't understand why the Big 12 isn't getting aggressive in finding replacements for NU and CU. CU is much easier to replace and I think adding Louisville would more than make up for CU. Finding a replacement for NU would be tough.

Arkansas is a stretch. I think the Arizona teams probably are too. BYU is still floating around...
                      [/quote]

Any team they add would split the pie more. The only reason the conference is still together is because Beebe got an agreement to keep the tv dollars the same, despite CU and NU leaving.

Arkansas isn't leaving the SEC-- that's a downgrade. Arizona isn't leaving the Pac-10-- that's a downgrade. BYU wouldn't get as much money as it does as an independent-- that's a downgrade.

They'll start looking at expansion once their contract comes up for renegotiation. If the ten teams commit to staying together (a stretch), they'll look to acquire more tv markets to better their contract leverage.

I personally don't see a marriage of these ten teams in the future. The only way to save the league is if the networks want to save it. The last thing some of the power networks want is more conferences 'unionizing' and making their own television networks.

After a split, the best hope for KU is for other premium brands to go independent, to the Big 10 or the SEC. It would also help if the Big 10/SEC takes from the ACC and/or Big East. Both scenarios open up slots in the ACC or Pac 10.

Comment

After UNC gets the death penalty (;)) the ACC will be looking for a traditional basketball power with mediocre football. We'll be safe

Comment

The next time we add teams is when the Big 10 and SEC start to add them. We will only do it to save our asses.

Comment

Working...
                          X