KC Royals discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KC Royals discussion thread

They drafted Aca Lacy, a left handed power pitcher out of A&M with the #4 pick. The Royals are stockpiling pitchers, The starting pitching rotation in a year or two should be interesting.

I could have sworn I posted this in the Jayhawk Blvd room. Doh!

Comment

For people who follow this team more than i, with the reduced season and increased playoffs, is there a small chance that they can get to the playoffs or should i not get my hopes up?

Comment

Originally posted by qwertyu123 View Post
        For people who follow this team more than i, with the reduced season and increased playoffs, is there a small chance that they can get to the playoffs or should i not get my hopes up?
        There are only 60 games and over half the league makes the playoffs. So it’s about 10x easier for a bad team to get in than usual.

All that and we still only have a 5% chance right now. Definitely a real shot, but I wouldn’t recommend getting your hopes up.

Comment

Originally posted by LARPHawk View Post

There are only 60 games and over half the league makes the playoffs. So it’s about 10x easier for a bad team to get in than usual.

All that and we still only have a 5% chance right now. Definitely a real shot, but I wouldn’t recommend getting your hopes up.
          On the other hand, if you're a Dodgers fan like me you are are free to get all of the hopes up.

Comment

Originally posted by FrobozMumbar View Post

On the other hand, if you're a Dodgers fan like me you are are free to get all of the hopes up.
            Certainly never gone wrong for Dodger fans before.

Comment

Through some luck, I was able to attend yesterday's game. Some observations:

1. Getting in - Had to empty my pockets and go through a metal detector like in normal times, but they also did a forehead temperature check and asked me if I'd been exposed/have any symptoms, not unlike any visit to the doctor in the last few months.

2. We were in a suite, so had to keep masks on and distance if we weren't eating or drinking, unless we were in the outdoor seats, which we were for most of the time since it was nice out.

3. The more substantial food was self-serve buffet style, but snacking options (chips, cookies, etc.) were all individually wrapped.

4. There was no between-inning promotional stuff (not even pre-recorded things that don't require a live audience), just filler music and animated graphics on the CrownVision.

5. Very little piped-in crowd noise compared to what I was expecting. Maybe they amplify it for TV to cover up the on-field cursing.

6. Like at many stadiums, they've extended the netting all the way down to the foul poles. Took a little getting used to visually. Around the 6th inning, there was lazy fly ball hit to LF where normally the outfielder would've been able to make a play but with the netting he had no shot.

I've been to enough Royals games with meager attendance that it wasn't all that unsettling. I suppose the weirdest thing from that standpoint was looking out and seeing the outfield concession stands all shuttered and all the chairs flipped onto the tables at Rivals.

There are some pretty big discounts going at the team store, which is still open to the public in case anyone misses the K and wants quality stuff at slightly lower prices than they have at Rally House.

Comment

Random between inning thoughts today:

1. Hunter Dozier is turning into quite a ballplayer: excellent firstbaseman, good outfielder, high baseball IQ, beautiful right handed swing

2. Mondesi is in a funk: fielding well, but terrible strike zone judgement, not hustling, needs to snap out of it or Witt will be here sooner than planned.

3. Lopez is starting to figure things out. May never be an offensive force, but an excellent fielder, and seems like a heads up player. Like him there better than the "Getzcetera" that we've had.

4. The trade for Soler continues to look like a win.

5. Whit is Whit. One of my favorites of this generation of Royals. What former Royal does he remind you of?

6. Barlow has some chops; more than I thought at first. Hope all these young arms come together soon. When he's on, Hahn has some nasty stuff too.

7. Bubba is a short timer in the show. We all hoped for so much more, but I just don't see it. He's the dribbler/pop up king.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteJak View Post
                  Random between inning thoughts today:

1. Hunter Dozier is turning into quite a ballplayer: excellent firstbaseman, good outfielder, high baseball IQ, beautiful right handed swing

2. Mondesi is in a funk: fielding well, but terrible strike zone judgement, not hustling, needs to snap out of it or Witt will be here sooner than planned.

3. Lopez is starting to figure things out. May never be an offensive force, but an excellent fielder, and seems like a heads up player. Like him there better than the "Getzcetera" that we've had.

4. The trade for Soler continues to look like a win.

5. Whit is Whit. One of my favorites of this generation of Royals. What former Royal does he remind you of?

6. Barlow has some chops; more than I thought at first. Hope all these young arms come together soon. When he's on, Hahn has some nasty stuff too.

7. Bubba is a short timer in the show. We all hoped for so much more, but I just don't see it. He's the dribbler/pop up king.
                  I'd actually like to see less of Lopez. Whit just doesn't look right in CF, so two spots suffer. I'd like to see Phillips get regular work there for awhile, at least against righties. The org needs to find out what they have in him soon so they can figure out whether they need to consider unloading some of those pitchers for a legit everyday CF.

Comment

I agree on Lopez. The jury is out on him. At 25, he's at the age where he should be getting to his ceiling, or at least giving us a glimpse of it. He's a bottom of the order guy until we can find a better option. We do indeed need more pop up and down the lineup to support our staff as they mature.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteJak View Post
                      I agree on Lopez. The jury is out on him. At 25, he's at the age where he should be getting to his ceiling, or at least giving us a glimpse of it. He's a bottom of the order guy until we can find a better option. We do indeed need more pop up and down the lineup to support our staff as they mature.
                      McBroom's been performing quite well. He's a little old relative to his experience, but the team doesn't have any prospects beating down the door at that spot, so they should probably be playing him over O'Hearn every day.

Comment

I hate losing to the cardinals, especially up 3 in the bottom of the 9th.

Comment

Originally posted by qwertyu123 View Post
                          I hate losing to the cardinals, especially up 3 in the bottom of the 9th.
                          Yeah, they really peed down their legs last night. I was pretty happy right up to that point, pissed me off.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfShirtSophomore View Post

Yeah, they really peed down their legs last night. I was pretty happy right up to that point, pissed me off.
                            Not a great night for Randy Rosario, that's for sure. On a smaller note, I'm not sure Staumont is built up enough to where he can go on back-to-back days just yet.

Comment

Alex Gordon is retiring. One of the last remaining members of the 2014-15 teams, but more importantly one of the best defensive left fielders of all time. It wasn't always a smooth road for him, but I think that makes his career all the better. Just wish I could see him play one more time in person.

Comment

Working...
                              X