MLB 2020 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LARPHawk View Post

Aren’t they planning to play regardless of whether they reach a new agreement? I haven’t read much but that was my understanding.
    The commissioner has the ability to force a season, but it's still in the owners' interest to negotiate in good faith as much as they can before getting to that point. The original deal from March called for the players to make 100% of their prorated salaries, but something in the text allowed for negotiations to continue to take place, and every proposal made by the owners since that time has involved the players getting significantly less than that prorated amount, with compromises like expanded playoffs to try to make it up elsewhere.

That's my read on it, at least.

Comment

^^ Yes, that's my read as well. The original offer called for prorated salaries but now the owners keep firing back with a % of the proration.

Comment

If this is true, it sounds like a wrap on even a quasi-legitimate season this year.

To sum things up, the owners floated ideas ranging from tiered paycuts to partial payment to a very short year with full prorated pay. None of these proposals changed the bottom line for the players; It was just moving money and games around. Late last week, the players got tired of it and said, "do whatever you want, just tell us how many games we're playing and where and when we need to report." Now we're learning what the owners wanted all along was to punt. Just an absolute cluster of bad-faith negotiations.

Comment

Well, a deal has been agreed to and plans are in place to start the season July 23-24. Some details:
          • 60 games, broken down into divisional play and interleague play against the corresponding division (AL Central vs. NL Central, etc.).
          • Home ballparks, so no NBA-style bubbles, but MLB reserves the right to relocate teams to neutral sites at any point for health and safety reasons, including during the playoffs.
          • All extra-inning games will start with a runner on second beginning in the 10th.
          • Universal DH
          • All players who are at risk or cohabitate with a high-risk individual, including a pregnant spouse, have the right to opt out and be paid with service time. I believe any players who don't fit that criteria but still don't think it's worth the risk can opt out as well, but they would forgo their salaries.
          Normally, I'd be excited about the randomness and crazy stats that can result from a 60-game season, but I can't imagine the season gets played to completion.

Comment

More reason to be skeptical of owners: Many (not all) are now discussing plans to allow fans in the stands when their entire basis for handling the negotiations the way they did with all the stalling and presenting the same cuts in different ways was that there would be no fans in the stands.

Unless they're doing something charitable with that asset like donating tickets to essential workers or donating the money to relief efforts, it's a total joke.

Comment

Best reason to be excited about a 60-game schedule (if it happens) is it immediately turns the Royals into playoff contenders.

Comment

Originally posted by LARPHawk View Post
                Best reason to be excited about a 60-game schedule (if it happens) is it immediately turns the Royals into playoff contenders.
                Yeah, FanGraphs gives the Royals a 14.2% chance to make the playoffs. For reference, the 2015 team were 10% to make the playoffs on the day the season started.

Comment

Lots of new rules. No shaking of hands, everyone on the bench has to wear a mask, and the most unenforceable rule of all - no spitting. Hell, I'm not a ball player and I can't walk across a ball field or soccer field without spitting.

Comment

Lol what a scam (if this is true):

Comment

I actually think that's great/hilarious.

Comment

Japan has it right. Pokemon cutouts and stuffed characters in the stands

Comment

As excited I was for this season back in mid March, I'm having a hard time getting excited over this 60 game season. Looking forward to watching Luis Robert, Michael Kopech and perhaps Nick Madrigal for my Whitesox.

Do you think winning the World Series this year will be cheapened by the shorter season?

Comment

Originally posted by swidman View Post
                            As excited I was for this season back in mid March, I'm having a hard time getting excited over this 60 game season. Looking forward to watching Luis Robert, Michael Kopech and perhaps Nick Madrigal for my Whitesox.

Do you think winning the World Series this year will be cheapened by the shorter season?
                            Assuming the season gets played to completion (which I'm pretty ambivalent about), I don't think so, at least not necessarily. For comparison, the 1998-99 NBA lockout shortened the season from 82 to 50 games, and while I can't remember the reaction to the Spurs' winning at the time, in hindsight it's viewed as the year they started their dynasty, so hardly cheapened.

Comment

MLB has announced they have shut down the minor league season. Not sure about the Arizona Fall league, but if I was a betting man I would bet that gets shut down as well. I feel for these players. As a professional athlete you have a limited number of years to play and make your money. These players have now lost a full year of development.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyDisease View Post
                                I actually think that's great/hilarious.
                                Looks like the money is going to charity, so that makes me feel better about it. The Royals have announced they are doing the same thing, charging $40 per cutout but only available to season ticket holders.

Comment

Working...
                                X