MLB 2020 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB 2020 Thread

It looks like MLB is going to be the first major American sport to come back. There's no official deal in place right now, but I'd be surprised if something doesn't get done for the sheer reason that it'd be extremely difficult financially and in terms of fan support to come back in 2021 if there's no season this year. From what I've read, any 2020 framework is going to be a far cry from what we're used to seeing, but the owners and players appear to have an eye on a July 4 return.

It's Independence Day! Let Freedom Ring! Let the white dove sing! from 6 feet away of course

Comment

I don't think a deal is going to get done.

Comment

It's really tilting me that a half season is 81 games and the MLB is proposing an 82-game schedule.

Comment

It's a Baker's half-season.

Comment

MLB leaked propose safety protocols for the hypothetical 2020 season to The Athletic and ESPN. Testing is going to be pervasive - ESPN's Jeff Passan says that MLB could end up conducting upwards of 10,000 tests a week under their plan, but that actually may be the easy part. Here are just a few of the on-field protocols they have in mind that are going to completely un-moor teams from their normal habits if they come to pass.

1. No communal water/Gatorade jugs.
            2. No spitting.
            3. High-fives, fist-bumps and hugs discouraged.
            4. On-field personnel advised to sanitize their hands after each half-inning.
            5. Lockers at least six feet apart. MLB is even recommending construction of temporary outdoor locker rooms for spatial/ventilation reasons.
            6. Discouraging of showering at club facilities.
            7. Dugout phones disinfected after each use.
            8. When a team is batting, everyone who can't be in the dugout due to social distancing protocols are encouraged to sit in the stands behind the dugout.

None of this is official, of course, but... yikes.

ETA: Oddly, the leak didn't mention what's going to happen to mound visits (both pitcher-catcher and managers relieving pitchers), but I figure those are nixed as well.
            Last edited by NoPantsChico; 05-16-20, 02:55 PM.

Comment

At least there will be a lot of new job openings for "Disinfectant Boy/Girl". I'm starting to see a market for this in other corners of industry too.

Comment

I hope some type of baseball returns in the USA. I was watching the KBO on ESPN and what a snoozefest that was.

Comment

I thought something would've been agreed to by now, but I still think something gets forced through.

Plus, the shorter the season, the greater the odds of a mediocre team like the Royals getting hot enough to make the postseason, especially if they expand the playoff field like they're talking about.

Comment

Personally, I think the owners are trying to break the union. The proposals the owners are putting out are ridiculous, and I think they are hoping that some players break ranks and come back and play. The MLB players union is by far the strongest union in sports and the owners would like nothing more than to create bad blood between the players. I don't think we are going to have a season, and if by some miracle we do it will be so watered down it won't be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by beakumhawks View Post
                      Personally, I think the owners are trying to break the union. The proposals the owners are putting out are ridiculous, and I think they are hoping that some players break ranks and come back and play. The MLB players union is by far the strongest union in sports and the owners would like nothing more than to create bad blood between the players. I don't think we are going to have a season, and if by some miracle we do it will be so watered down it won't be worth it.
                      Are they? They haven’t presented a very united front on this (at least not publicly) and they’ve been getting cut out of booming revenues over the last decade-plus.

I agree that the owners’ behavior on this has been bush league to the point where I question if they even like the sport.

Comment

^^ Name me a professional sports that has a stronger players union. The NFL is a joke. In addition to a team salary cap the contracts are at the discretion of the owner as to if they decide to honor them or not. Say you and I enter into an agreement where you agree to provide me services for three years. In return I agree to pay you $10,000 a year. Now say after a year I decide not to honor that agreement and terminate your services. You would take me to court and you would probably win. In the NFL this is regular business. You sign a five year deal but everyone pretty much knows that you will not be there for the length of the contract. Not in baseball. All salaries are fully guaranteed and you could be Tony Phillips, who was busted for buying crack cocaine but still got paid by MLB or Chris Davis who signed a mega bucks deal and performed like a nun with leukemia and still get paid the full amount of your contract. I can't think of a sport other than MLB that doesn't have a salary cap,

Comment

^^ Name me a professional sports that has a stronger players union. The NFL is a joke. In addition to a team salary cap the contracts are at the discretion of the owner as to if they decide to honor them or not. Say you and I enter into an agreement where you agree to provide me services for three years. In return I agree to pay you $10,000 a year. Now say after a year I decide not to honor that agreement and terminate your services. You would take me to court and you would probably win. In the NFL this is regular business. You sign a five year deal but everyone pretty much knows that you will not be there for the length of the contract. Not in baseball. All salaries are fully guaranteed and you could be Tony Phillips, who was busted for buying crack cocaine but still got paid by MLB or Chris Davis who signed a mega bucks deal and performed like a nun with leukemia and still get paid the full amount of your contract. I can't think of a sport other than MLB that doesn't have a salary cap,
                          The lack of a cap and the guaranteed contract structures of MLB are heavily neutered by penalties for surpassing the luxury tax, constraints on international signings and owners' personal willingness to spend on players. Over the last 5 or so seasons (and especially the last 2-3), players have been getting smaller and smaller pieces of the pie. I lifted these charts from a Forbes article. The first one shows that salaries have been pretty flat compared to revenues, and the second chart, shows how the players have been getting squeezed:

Admittedly, I haven't found similar data for the NBA or NFL, but IMO the strength of a union goes beyond the types of contracts its members are able to receive.
                          Last edited by NoPantsChico; 06-10-20, 03:41 PM. Reason: Man, my grammar was shit.

Comment

The commissioner of MLB issued a statement saying that he is 100% sure there will be major league baseball this season. I am 100% convinced the commissioner of baseball is an idiot.

Comment

The commissioner of MLB issued a statement saying that he is 100% sure there will be major league baseball this season. I am 100% convinced the commissioner of baseball is an idiot.
                              Aren’t they planning to play regardless of whether they reach a new agreement? I haven’t read much but that was my understanding.

Comment

Working...
                              X