Royals Off-season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royals Off-season

There should be a lot happening this off-season. It got started today with Eiland being let go. Not sure I understand that one. I get that the team's ERA has gone up each year, but that's not all on the pitching coach. He can only do so much with what the GM gives him.

Originally posted by Hawker007 View Post
    There should be a lot happening this off-season. It got started today with Eiland being let go. Not sure I understand that one. I get that the team's ERA has gone up each year, but that's not all on the pitching coach. He can only do so much with what the GM gives him.
    I think this is more about lining up a succession plan than it is displeasure with how the team performed. Rusty had to be convinced to stay on as 1B coach when he wanted to be a roving instructor, but it looks like he's now going to do that moving forward and Mitch Maier could take his place permanently.

This is just a hunch, but it seems like the Royals have been grooming Jason Kendall to be the next manager ever since they signed him to be the stopgap until Salvy came up. With Wakamatsu out as well, I wouldn't be the least bit shocked to see Kendall elevated to a bench coach job and getting the manager gig when Yost steps down.

Comment

From listening to Ned's presser, I think the reasoning for the coaching changes is two-fold. Most of it is wanting to get a more developmental staff - someone who can work with and mold the young guys. But I also get the sense this is a little bit performance based. Just a hunch.

That said, I don't think it's the worst thing in the world. I think in some situations, ala pitching or hitting coach, a philosophy and teaching methods can wear thin after a while. Sometimes, right, wrong or indifferent, a new voice is needed.

I want Kendall nowhere near this team, personally. Not a fan of the old school mentality, and he seems like more of a red ass than most.

Comment

Originally posted by ono View Post

I want Kendall nowhere near this team, personally. Not a fan of the old school mentality, and he seems like more of a red ass than most.
        Oh, me either. Just saying that seems to be the way the dominoes are falling. Would love to be wrong.

Comment

Wonder what Dayton thinks about the Atlanta opening. Could be a clean house around Kauffman next year.

Comment

The more developmental coaches makes sense if you are bringing up a bunch of young guys. They didn't waste any time getting started.

Comment

The Braves situation sure is interesting.

I must say, I wouldn't really be upset if DM took that job. We'd probably promote from within, which would kind of suck, but I think a fresh perspective may be good.

DM has done some wonderful things, but he was also given resources no previous GM was ever given here. I'd be interested to see what someone else could do now that the Glass family has actually started to try to put a good product on the field.

Comment

The Braves situation sure is interesting.

I must say, I wouldn't really be upset if DM took that job. We'd probably promote from within, which would kind of suck, but I think a fresh perspective may be good.

DM has done some wonderful things, but he was also given resources no previous GM was ever given here. I'd be interested to see what someone else could do now that the Glass family has actually started to try to put a good product on the field.
                Yeah do not want. I want GMDM to at least get a shot at the next rebuild. He's earned that, in my opinion.

Comment

I don't dispute that he's earned it, but I don't think it's going to be successful. Everything he has touched in the last two years has turned to shit and the drafting has been abysmal... granted, we are picking lower in the draft now, but you'd think we'd at least have some prospects that look like big league contributors.

Comment

I don't dispute that he's earned it, but I don't think it's going to be successful. Everything he has touched in the last two years has turned to shit and the drafting has been abysmal... granted, we are picking lower in the draft now, but you'd think we'd at least have some prospects that look like big league contributors.
                    That's where I'm at too. Moore has definitely earned our respect, but I think he's done all he can in KC and his team has struggled to maintain a pipeline of talent between the minors and the majors. A fresh perspective from outside the organization would be beneficial. (Also, I really don't want to see Jason Kendall as the next manager.)

Comment

Especially assuming we will have a bunch of comp picks coming after all the FAs sign. I'm not optimistic we will hit on any of them with the way recent drafts have gone.

Comment

I'm all for letting Dayton work the rebuild. I have confidence in him, and as stated I think he's earned the right.

However, if he fucking re-signs Escobar then he should be fired on the spot.

Comment

The hate is strong for Escobar. I am by no means going to act like he is an all star, but I never got the absolute hatred for him a lot of fans have. I'm not sure what other SS will be available in FA, but the Royals don't have a better replacement in the minors unless Mondesi makes big strides at the plate. I won't be surprised at all if they make him an offer, unless Mondesi has already been given the job.

Comment

Originally posted by BaricL7 View Post
                            The hate is strong for Escobar. I am by no means going to act like he is an all star, but I never got the absolute hatred for him a lot of fans have. I'm not sure what other SS will be available in FA, but the Royals don't have a better replacement in the minors unless Mondesi makes big strides at the plate. I won't be surprised at all if they make him an offer, unless Mondesi has already been given the job.
                            It took a red-hot September for Escobar to finish with 0.5 WAR. He's lost a few steps over the last couple of years and Mondesi appears to be done cooking in the minors. As grateful as I am for Escobar's prime years, I think it's time to pass the torch.

Comment

Escobar is pretty fucking awful. Not Alex Gordon bad, but pretty bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X