Is "Yosted" still a word?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is "Yosted" still a word?

Or does everyone finally get it. He's not the greatest coach ever but he's closer to that than the worst coach ever. Stats be damned, he just has a feel for the game. After how this season started he's managed to keep things moving. And let's not forget the 2 World Series appearances and one Championship.

It's become pretty clear that Yost is not a brilliant tactical manager in the traditional sense. He routinely makes decisions that are counter-intuitive to most of the modern thinking. His lineups often don't make sense and his strategies frequently defy common logic or suggest stalled thought processes. However, what he seems to be is a very able leader who is capable of keeping a team on a steady keel and with good morale through a wide range of circumstances. He doesn't panic and he doesn't overthink. It appears that the players trust him and that he's very good at balancing the energy and the diversity of a clubhouse while maintaining discipline. He is not Tony LaRussa or Earl Weaver; and he's not Mr. Moneyball either. He manages more for the long haul, keeps things steady, and keeps the players focused. The manager he most reminds me of is "The Quiet Man", Walter Alston, who managed the Dodgers for about 25 years and was very successful.
    Last edited by WhiteJak; 07-30-17, 06:27 PM.

Comment

I think the "brilliance" - or lack thereof - of managers is vastly overrated. In last year's World Series, the two greatest minds (at least according to Fox) in baseball didn't really put on a clinic of how it's supposed to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by markhawk View Post
        I think the "brilliance" - or lack thereof - of managers is vastly overrated. In last year's World Series, the two greatest minds (at least according to Fox) in baseball didn't really put on a clinic of how it's supposed to be done.
        Give Francona his due, he used Miller in any situation throughout the playoffs. He didn't limit his best pitcher to 3 outs in the 9th inning when having the lead. That seems extremely obvious but 95% of managers waste their best pitcher by holding him til the 9th.

Comment

Working...
        X