Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royals 2017 Thread

So it's 2017 and I'm starting this because:

#Mariners with a second deal. Getting OF Jarrod Dyson from Kansas City for RHP Nathan Karns.

If Karns can perform anything like 2015, this is a great deal. I know lots on here love Dyson though. Does this mean they keep Orlando?

Comment

Poop.

Not totally unexpected. And getting a starter is better than a reliever I suppose. Just a little underwhelming and sad. I still think Dyson is insanely undervalued and has a great role on this team. Especially with no full-time DH, he could get at least 3-4 starts a week as the outfielders rotate through that spot.

On the bright side Karns is young, controllable until 2020 and has decent stuff. Could be a mid-rotation guy.

But of course, probably most importantly, this move saves about $2 mil in payroll. Fuck the Glass family for the ultimatum to cut payroll this year. They are really trying to squander some goodwill they've earned in the last 2 years.

Comment

People saying that this is going to hurt the Royals chance of resigning Hos are silly. He wasn't gonna resign anyways.

Comment

Hopefully Eiland can work some magic to get Karns deeper into games since that's his big knock. At the risk of him becoming the next Wade Davis, I don't think his potential value as an RP makes him worth giving up a player as good as Dyson.

Comment

Originally posted by NoPantsChico View Post
            Hopefully Eiland can work some magic to get Karns deeper into games since that's his big knock. At the risk of him becoming the next Wade Davis, I don't think his potential value as an RP makes him worth giving up a player as good as Dyson.

All about club control in my opinion. Dyson was a backup OF (on this team - not by skill) - I liked the idea of the rotating DH with him starting 3-4 times a week but I'm really okay with the value that we got back for 1 year of Dyson.

Comment

^^ Club control and cash. Glass is back in his saving money mode. The deal will save about $2m a year.

Comment

Duffy signed for 5 years $65MM!!! Great signing!

Comment

"Fuck Glass for not spending money"

*signs best pitcher to long term deal*
                  *Glass sips latte*

Comment

Originally posted by Jhawkz5 View Post
                    "Fuck Glass for not spending money"

*signs best pitcher to long term deal*
                    *Glass sips latte*
                    Well if we want to get technical, this move probably ends up saving Glass money in the long run. This deal, like Gordon et. al is heavily backloaded. Once the payroll plummets next year after all the FAs leave that's when these deals get pricy. And of course, revenue and payrolls generally tend to increase year-over-year.

So really, while Glass may be spending more later in the contract, it's likely going to be a smaller % of revenue and payroll than something like $10mm would be this year.

That said, love love love love this move. Love Duffy. Hopefully he can stay healthy. Even if he settles in as a #3 starter, at the way pitching prices are going, $15mm a year or so is a damn steal.
                    Last edited by ono; 01-17-17, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Comment

Wow. This is horrible.

Cristian Moreno|ESPN@CristianMorenoD 8m8 minutes agoMore

#Royals pitcher @YordanoVentura Dead at 25 after fatal car accident earlier today, confirmed by #Dominican police force. Terrible news. #MLB

Comment

Unreal. Just terrible.

Comment

I'm at a loss. Just sad, tragic, horrible.

Comment

I'm still trying to process it. His starts were events, especially early on, but also the last two seasons. You never knew what you were going to see, because anything and everything was on the table. Part of me still wonders how such an explosive fastball could come out of such a tiny body. I'm gonna miss him.

Comment

Working...
                              X