Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wade Davis - Gonzo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wade Davis - Gonzo

    Traded to the Cubbies.

  • #2
    In a vacuum, it's a good trade. One year of an expensive, injured reliever for 4 cost-controlled years of a power hitting outfielder? yes please.

    The problem I have with it is that the market for relievers is insane. I would have thought we could get more for Wade - see what the Sox gave up for the dude from Milwaukee or what the Cubs gave the Yankees for Chapman. That being said, I'm assuming the injury risk hampered his value.

    I am also scared DM is trying to both rebuild AND contend, which is hard to do. I'd be curious to see what LAD or WAS offered. Those packages may have been better in the long run, but if DM wants to contend this year, he probably was set on ML-ready talent and Soler may have been the only option that fits that criteria. Which is a little unnerving. You have take the best package you can get and run with it, regardless of how long it may take to materialize IMO.

    Best case scenario (for the Royals), Wade blows his arm out or is ineffective this year, and we got some value for him.

    It is bittersweet. The guy on the mound when we won the Series is gone. One of my favorite Royals postseason games in the last 2 years was the rain delay game. Loved watching Wade pitch. Gonna miss him. Glad he's in the NL now though if he isn't on my team.

    Side note: I'll be more upset if they trade Dyson now. Soler is not highly thought of as a defender and is injury prone. Cain and Gordon are injury prone. Dyson is one of the best 4th OF in the AL, and I could see the Royals rotating the starting OFers into the DH spot, giving the 4th OF plenty of opportunities - say, 4 games a week. I'd much rather have Dyson playing those 4 games than Orlando.

    Comment


    • #3
      drew-butera-wade-davis-mlb-world-series-kansas-city-royals-new-york-mets.jpg

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ono View Post

        Side note: I'll be more upset if they trade Dyson now. Soler is not highly thought of as a defender and is injury prone. Cain and Gordon are injury prone. Dyson is one of the best 4th OF in the AL, and I could see the Royals rotating the starting OFers into the DH spot, giving the 4th OF plenty of opportunities - say, 4 games a week. I'd much rather have Dyson playing those 4 games than Orlando.

        FWIW - They still have Burns.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Jhawkz5 View Post
          FWIW - They still have Burns.
          Yeah, true, but Dyson is still a better player.

          Dyson led the damn team in WAR last year. He's a good player.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ono View Post
            Yeah, true, but Dyson is still a better player.

            Dyson led the damn team in WAR last year. He's a good player.


            Oh I agree and they're going to get pennies on the dollar for him because he doesn't hit home runs.

            Comment


            • #7
              I think this is probably a pretty good deal. Who's next? Out of the big 3 (Hoz, Cain, Moose), I wouldn't mind them trading Moose and try their best to keep the other two. Not sure if that has any chance whatsoever. I just know that when Cain was in the lineup, we were a much better team this past year. I do not want to see him go. Hoz may be impossible to keep, and that sucks. Hope the Royals do whatever they can to try and keep him though.

              Finally, I think they should also try and lock up Duffy now. He has said he wants to stay in KC, and I think we could get a decent deal for him. It would be stupid not to sign him to a 5 year deal.

              Comment


              • #8
                If I'm DM, I first try to trade Hos... he probably has the least value though, since he's the least likely to re-sign and 1B is an easier position to fill. He would be a beast with the short porch in NY though... I'd at least kick the tires and see what they'd give up for him. Of course they just signed Matt Holliday, so it's a moot point. And I doubt Dayton would do it considering the premium he places on chemistry, etc. since Hos is the biggest voice on the team outside of Perez.

                Of those three, Moose is the one I'd want to re-sign the most, considering age, position scarcity and presumed cost. Hos will be too expensive at a position that's easier to fill (Soler could probably play it) and much of Cain's value is derived from defense and he's getting up there in age. So I'd hold on to Moose and make a run at re-signing him. If he can be a league-average bat, he plays a good enough 3B to be a worthwhile investment. I'm not sold on Cuthbert just yet.

                And 100% agree on Duffy. I would have been trying back in August to get it done. Even if he regresses (he probably will), lefties who have his arsenal are hard to find.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I know what you are saying with Cain. I just feel (haven't looked at any stats or anything, just watched almost every game) that when Cain is healthy (big risk, I know) the Royals are a different team and he brings a different dynamic.

                  Don't get me wrong, I like Moose. I just think Cuthbert is pretty much the same player for a ton less, plus we could probably get some pretty good pieces for Moose in a trade. Obviously, he's coming off a big injury, so it ain't happening this week, but I think Cuthbert and Moose are pretty even.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Hawker007 View Post
                    I know what you are saying with Cain. I just feel (haven't looked at any stats or anything, just watched almost every game) that when Cain is healthy (big risk, I know) the Royals are a different team and he brings a different dynamic.

                    Don't get me wrong, I like Moose. I just think Cuthbert is pretty much the same player for a ton less, plus we could probably get some pretty good pieces for Moose in a trade. Obviously, he's coming off a big injury, so it ain't happening this week, but I think Cuthbert and Moose are pretty even.
                    I don't think Cheslor and Moose are that close. Cheslor was very much the definition of average last year at the plate with a .730ish OPS. Right above the likes of Trevor Plouffe and Travis Shaw. As far as defense, his glove is worse than Moose too.

                    You sign Moose because he's the cheapest and plays the toughest position to fill. Cain is the definition of an old man at this point and Hos ain't coming back ever.


                    100% agree on Duff. It was obvious in July you should have been trying to lock him in.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'm still confident a Duffy extension gets done. Maybe Glass turning off the money faucet made it less of a priority for Dayton than it would've been otherwise, but I think it gets done.

                      I keep seeing all the Dyson-A's rumors, but I don't get them at all. It just doesn't make sense for a team like Oakland that isn't built to win now to acquire a 32-year-old outfielder. That's no knock on Dyson and I wouldn't mind the Royals trading him if the return was right, but he's so much more valuable to the Royals than he is on the trade market.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Also, the Royals were 57-44 last year when Cain started and 24-37 when he sat. I wouldn't make him untouchable or anything, but he's pretty damn important, too. Gordon-Cain/Dyson-Soler/Cain is a hell of an outfield. I'd rather they dump Burns and Orlando.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by NoPantsChico View Post
                          Also, the Royals were 57-44 last year when Cain started and 24-37 when he sat. I wouldn't make him untouchable or anything, but he's pretty damn important, too. Gordon-Cain/Dyson-Soler/Cain is a hell of an outfield. I'd rather they dump Burns and Orlando.


                          I'd be interested to see the overlap Cain's DL stints had with others. That could make for a really good write up. More for my curiosity than trying to 'prove' Cain isn't valuable because I love him as a Royal.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Jhawkz5 View Post
                            I'd be interested to see the overlap Cain's DL stints had with others. That could make for a really good write up. More for my curiosity than trying to 'prove' Cain isn't valuable because I love him as a Royal.
                            This is my thought.

                            I don't disagree that Cain is probably our most valuable player when he's on the field. But I have a hard time believing one bat in the lineup could make that much of a difference. The defense is probably a wash considering Dyson in CF is just as good, and the difference in bat between those two isn't different enough to warrant that kind of impact on the team's record.

                            There's some merit there, but I'm guessing the extreme differences in the team's fortune is more of an anomaly than anything.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by NoPantsChico View Post
                              Also, the Royals were 57-44 last year when Cain started and 24-37 when he sat. I wouldn't make him untouchable or anything, but he's pretty damn important, too. Gordon-Cain/Dyson-Soler/Cain is a hell of an outfield. I'd rather they dump Burns and Orlando.
                              Thank you for looking that up NPC. I knew it was something crazy, just by feel from watching last year. He adds a different dimension in the middle of the lineup when he is locked in. He can rope gap doubles, hit HRs, or beat out infield singles. Then he can fly on the bases. He changes the game and the team when he is healthy. I feel like the team has a different "aura" if you will when he is in the lineup that is hard to explain through baseball stats.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X