The worst thing about baseball...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The worst thing about baseball...

is the spitting. WTF? Who spits in real life? I don't know anyone who does this. I don't know anyone who chews tobacco. I know a few people who chew gum, heck, on a Friday, I might do the same. But none of us spit. Every baseball player feels the need to spit every 10 seconds. You don't see this in any other human social interaction.

I've always hated it, but I've been made more keenly aware of it recently as I've been watching the World Series with my kids. They are completely fascinated with the phenomenon. They want to know what's in their mouth. Why are they spitting it out? I'm having a hard time discussing it. What bizarre behavior.

Just tell them it's sunflower seeds. That worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Protist View Post
      is the spitting. WTF? Who spits in real life? I don't know anyone who does this. I don't know anyone who chews tobacco. I know a few people who chew gum, heck, on a Friday, I might do the same. But none of us spit. Every baseball player feels the need to spit every 10 seconds. You don't see this in any other human social interaction.

I've always hated it, but I've been made more keenly aware of it recently as I've been watching the World Series with my kids. They are completely fascinated with the phenomenon. They want to know what's in their mouth. Why are they spitting it out? I'm having a hard time discussing it. What bizarre behavior.
      Did you tell them that when they work in a field in which the worst performer still makes ~$500K a year, they can do more or less whatever they want?

Edit: Sorry for the smarmy response. I'd go Ono's route.

Comment

It's not just the tobacco thing. I'm not worried my kids will ever pick that up. I'm just amazed that EVERY baseball player has something in his mouth at all times. If it's not chew, it's gum. If it's not gum it's seeds. If it's not seeds, it's a giant dildo. Why do all these players seem to have oral fixations?

Comment

It's a really slow game. It is seriously something they can do to occupy them between pitches which then becomes a habit.

Comment

Working...
          X