Youth Baseball Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youth Baseball Question

So, the board's been dead so I thought I'd throw this question out there. What do you think the best way to set a 6 year old, competitive machine pitch batting lineup would be? We have 11 kids, and they all bat (meaning you set the order 1-11). We have 4 good hitters, 4 medium hitters, and 3 weak hitters.

Do you stack your best at the top, do you alternate, etc.? The more I think about it, I think we have it set pretty good. We have our 4 good hitters batting in the top 6 with two of our weak hitters mixed in there.

This is a just for fun exercise, so don't get your panties in a bunch if you think I'm being too competitive. It just got me thinking because we keep having one of our weak hitters come up in big spots, with one of our best hitters waiting on deck.

Good
    Medium
    Good
    Good
    Weak
    Weak
    Medium
    Good
    Weak
    Medium
    Medium

Comment

At that age, go basic. Front-load your talent and put the shitty, everyone-gets-a-trophy kids at the end. You might not score as much, but you'll let the crappy little brats know they should be looking for something artsy to do for fun rather than screwing up the season for actual competitors.

Comment

Originally posted by FrobozMumbar View Post
        At that age, go basic. Front-load your talent and put the shitty, everyone-gets-a-trophy kids at the end. You might not score as much, but you'll let the crappy little brats know they should be looking for something artsy to do for fun rather than screwing up the season for actual competitors.

This is actually a pretty solid idea too. I went with trying to hide the weak hitters and having some better ones at the back so the top of the order might have runners on base

Comment

You could go with the standard sabermetric lineup.

1 One of the three best hitters (high OBP)
          2 One of the*three best hitters
          3 5th best hitter
          4 One of the*three best hittesr (high SLG)
          5 4th best hitter
          6 6th best hitter
          7 7th best hitter
          8 8th best hitter
          9 9th best hitter

But yes, 6 yo competitive? WTF? If they are only 6, I would think you are putting too much thought into it. Draw names out of a hat or something, change it up. Kids will like that.

Comment

Originally posted by FrobozMumbar View Post
            The head coach actually went this route tonight and it worked really well. Basically, our good hitters started us off right and our shitty hitters got to see some hits and actually got some hits themselves. It was really a team confidence thing.

Comment

I think when we were that young, our coach set the batting order by the order kids showed up.

Comment

The team my son plays on it set up like this

1, Good hitter/Great bunter/Fast
                2. lefty good hitter/fast
                3. Best hitting/power
                4. good hitter/fast
                5. good hitter/slowish
                6. good hitter/slowest
                7. good hitter/power/slowish
                8. weak hitter/fast
                9. Okay hitter/ but swings at bad pitches (yes you get bad pitches in machine pitch/slow/Lefty
                10.good hitter/fast
                11. Power hitter that swings at bad pitches/fast/lefty

The thing with machine pitch is you want speed and as much of it as you can get. You are going to run them and make the other team attempt to get outs because that is when mistakes are made.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawker007 View Post
                  So, the board's been dead so I thought I'd throw this question out there. What do you think the best way to set a 6 year old, competitive machine pitch batting lineup would be? We have 11 kids, and they all bat (meaning you set the order 1-11). We have 4 good hitters, 4 medium hitters, and 3 weak hitters.

Do you stack your best at the top, do you alternate, etc.? The more I think about it, I think we have it set pretty good. We have our 4 good hitters batting in the top 6 with two of our weak hitters mixed in there.

This is a just for fun exercise, so don't get your panties in a bunch if you think I'm being too competitive. It just got me thinking because we keep having one of our weak hitters come up in big spots, with one of our best hitters waiting on deck.
                  Always keep a good hitter in the mid to bottom of the line up. My son always bats around 7th and always comes up when the game is on the line. The coach says it's his specialty. With machine pitch after you learn the kids you can adjust them in the box and make them hit just about anywhere in the field. (yes I am bragging) My son hits the ball really well. It's always hit hard and the coach will adjust him in the box to get him to go oppo, up the middle, or pull it.

My son has been playing on the same team for 4 seasons. From coach pitch to Machine pitch. We have done 3 season of machine pitch always playing up until this year. This will be their last season at machine pitch. We are going miss machine pitch. I watched a 9u kids pitch game last week that last 1.5 hours and made it 3 innings IIRC that score was something like 14-12 most of the runs scored were from walks..... I don't know how I will handle that.

Comment

Working...
                  X