Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB to use pitch clock in the Minors

LINK

In the Fall League experiment, pitchers had to throw within 12 seconds with no runners on base and within 20 seconds when a base was occupied. There was a maximum of 2:05 between innings and a 2:30 limit for a pitching change. Additionally, hitters were required to have one foot in the batter's box at all times.
    How do baseball purists feel about this? Assuming it makes its way to the Majors, that is.

I agree the pace of play needs improving. But I'm not sure if I like the pitch clock idea. Especially at 20 seconds. I saw some analysis this morning that the average Royal took 23 seconds between pitches. A 20 second clock is a huge adjustment.

Plus there are the logistical aspects of it. Is the clock going to be displayed somewhere? And it will affect the game - baserunners can get better jumps if they know a pitcher has to make a pitch, etc.

I think a better system wouldn't be necessarily a pitch clock but some kind of yellow card system where you warn a slow player he is taking too long. This leaves way too much up to the discretion of the umps, but at least it doesn't fundamentally change the foundation of the game. Something like a yellow is a warning for slow play, then the next time you are being slow, you get an automatic ball (or strike for batters). So not a hard and fast 20 second rule, but speeds up the Nomar Garciaparras of the world.

I think bigger culprits in slowing the games down are pickoffs (which can't be changed) and batters stepping out of the box. I agree with the rule that you can't take a foot out of the box at any time during an at-bat.

And quite frankly, I used to be bothered by the pace of play, but any more, I don't have any problems with it. The 2.5 hour KU-OSU rock fight the other night or the 4 hour football national championship make baseball look brisk by comparison.
    Last edited by ono; 01-15-15, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ono View Post
      I agree the pace of play needs improving. But I'm not sure if I like the pitch clock idea. Especially at 20 seconds. I saw some analysis this morning that the average Royal took 23 seconds between pitches. A 20 second clock is a huge adjustment.

Plus there are the logistical aspects of it. Is the clock going to be displayed somewhere? And it will affect the game - baserunners can get better jumps if they know a pitcher has to make a pitch, etc.

I think a better system wouldn't be necessarily a pitch clock but some kind of yellow card system where you warn a slow player he is taking too long. This leaves way too much up to the discretion of the umps, but at least it doesn't fundamentally change the foundation of the game. Something like a yellow is a warning for slow play, then the next time you are being slow, you get an automatic ball (or strike for batters). So not a hard and fast 20 second rule, but speeds up the Nomar Garciaparras of the world.

I think bigger culprits in slowing the games down are pickoffs (which can't be changed) and batters stepping out of the box. I agree with the rule that you can't take a foot out of the box at any time during an at-bat.
      Agree with all of this...and then you wonder how the bolded affects the pitch clock...is that like a shot clock where it resets if they step out?

Comment

Also, think about all the bitching we have about the catch rules in the NFL or the reviews/flagrants/charge/etc. in basketball. How did we get there? By adding more and more rules.

We don't need any more damn rules. Especially in a sport like baseball, where simplicity is part of the appeal. This rule doesn't necessarily complicate the game, but the first time an ump has a quick trigger finger on a timing issue, the world will melt down. Let's not have the officials involved in the game more than they have to be, please. I'm tired of hearing about football reviews or Karl Hess.

Comment

FWIW I love the idea. The NBC (semi pro) World Series that Wichita hosts has been doing it for years and no one ever has an issue with it.

As far as batters...if they do it like NBC: If a batter is out of the box and the timer goes off, I believe it's a called strike. I believe the clock resets if time is granted though.

As far as the ump being the one in charge with a quick finger - easy fix - just have a noise play that's queued up to go once the clock hits 0. It's not that difficult to do that

Comment

Working...
          X