Hall of Fame Inductions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hall of Fame Inductions

No real surprises here...well I guess it's a surprise sometimes when they get it right...article says biggio only missed by two votes last time

Randy Johnson 534 97.3
    Pedro Martinez 500 91.1
    John Smoltz 455 82.9
    Craig Biggio 454 82.7
    Mike Piazza 384 69.9
    Jeff Bagwell 306 55.7
    Tim Raines 302 55.0
    Curt Schilling 215 39.2
    Roger Clemens 206 37.5
    Barry Bonds 202 36.8

I never really thought of Biggio and Bagwell as HOF caliber. Heck, I never really thought of Piazza that way either, but people are saying he is the best offensive catcher of all-time. I think of Pudge as a sure fire HOF player. This is without looking at stats, but just the feel I had for them as players.

Comment

Piazza should make it next year, as should Bagwell. Raines should also be in, but he's been on the ballot for a long time, so those who advocate for him don't have much time (relatively speaking) to get more people on board.

Comment

I still don't get the Biggio love. He was good for a long time, but never great.

I also think Bonds and Clemens should clearly be in, so what do I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawker007 View Post
          I never really thought of Biggio and Bagwell as HOF caliber. Heck, I never really thought of Piazza that way either, but people are saying he is the best offensive catcher of all-time. I think of Pudge as a sure fire HOF player. This is without looking at stats, but just the feel I had for them as players.
          By WAR, Piazza should get in. His 59.4 is 5th all time. There is a huge gap between him and #4 though (Fisk). The avg of the 13 HOF catchers is 52.3.

Of course, as a counting stat, WAR has Biggio comfortably in the HOF as well.

Comment

Baseball HOF voting is so effed up.

I know a couple of people left Unit and Pedro off their ballots because they knew other voters would get them in and they had more than 10 guys who they thought to be deserving.

Comment

Originally posted by Jhawkz5 View Post
              Baseball HOF voting is so effed up.

I know a couple of people left Unit and Pedro off their ballots because they knew other voters would get them in and they had more than 10 guys who they thought to be deserving.
              That's why I can't get up in arms about it. The system is screwed up, and the majority of guys who vote are old-school and vote with their hearts, not with their heads. No way is someone like Jack Morris even close to HOF caliber but people still vote for him. So if someone does or does not make it in has no impact on how I view their career.

I judge media members by HOF votes more than the players.

Comment

To their defense, you can't go 100% on stats/numbers either because it is all relevant to the era you play in.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawker007 View Post
                  To their defense, you can't go 100% on stats/numbers either because it is all relevant to the era you play in.
                  Oh for sure.

But there are 10000s of metrics that adjust for that, so if you were to argue a guy does or does not deserve the HOF and use those to bolster your argument, you'll get no complaints from me.

But to vote for a guy like Morris cause he's "gritty" or had a good postseason that one time screams of cronyism and being out of touch with the game IMO. Give me some good reasons why a guy deserves it and I don't care how you vote. But don't do it just based on your gut.

Comment

Working...
                  X