No announcement yet.

Royals 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hochevar's out until at least May with a UCL sprain. It's such a great thing he's making $5.2M.

Comment

Injuries are part of baseball, but this shouldn't have happened because Hoch shouldn't be on the team in the first place. Thanks, Dayton.

I also stand by my position that every single pitcher that enters the Royals system should have precautionary Tommy John surgery just to get it out of the way.

Comment

Andy McCullough@McCulloughStar now
        Luke Hochevar will have Tommy John surgery, Yost says.

Comment

better to get it out of the way than try to power through it for a month or two then do it.

Comment

So Santana signed with the Braves for 1 year $14.1MM. That's the exact same amount we offered him. That kind of sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawker007 View Post
              So Santana signed with the Braves for 1 year $14.1MM. That's the exact same amount we offered him. That kind of sucks.

Yup, but he/his former agent overplayed their hand. By a lot.

I doubt he repeats last year and we get a comp pick out of it so I'm not too upset about it. We're going to have like 4 or 5 top 50 (i think) picks next draft

Comment

Originally posted by Jhawkz5 View Post
                Yup, but he/his former agent overplayed their hand. By a lot.

I doubt he repeats last year and we get a comp pick out of it so I'm not too upset about it. We're going to have like 4 or 5 top 50 (i think) picks next draft
                In a normal year, I would be happy about it. The comp pick is generally more valuable than Santana for one more year and I'll bet my first born he doesn't repeat last year's production.

My issue is that this is the year we are going for it. OUR TIME, you know? We are going all in this year, and Santana could have contributed - he would easily be our #2 or #3 on this staff. Everyone knew the agent was overplaying his hand from the beginning (not quite to this extent, of course) but when word came out that he was available for one year and $14 or $15 million, KC should have jumped in on him again, cost be damned.

Comment

#BeRoyal #OurTime #SinglesOver50

Comment

Originally posted by ono View Post
                    In a normal year, I would be happy about it. The comp pick is generally more valuable than Santana for one more year and I'll bet my first born he doesn't repeat last year's production.

My issue is that this is the year we are going for it. OUR TIME, you know? We are going all in this year, and Santana could have contributed - he would easily be our #2 or #3 on this staff. Everyone knew the agent was overplaying his hand from the beginning (not quite to this extent, of course) but when word came out that he was available for one year and $14 or $15 million, KC should have jumped in on him again, cost be damned.

Problem is, once again, Dayton jumped the gun and tried to get ahead of the market with the Vargas signing. He was wrong, again.

Comment

Problem is, once again, Dayton jumped the gun and tried to get ahead of the market with the Vargas signing. He was wrong, again.
                      I don't blame anything that went on with Santana on Dayton. There's plenty of other things you can pin on him, but not this. He turned Brandon Sisk and $12M into a 3-WAR season from Santana and a top-30 draft pick.

Comment

Originally posted by NoPantsChico View Post
                        I don't blame anything that went on with Santana on Dayton. There's plenty of other things you can pin on him, but not this. He turned Brandon Sisk and $12M into a 3-WAR season from Santana and a top-30 draft pick.

I'm just saying that he tried to get ahead of the market by signing Vargas and now it looks like he completely overpaid (which he did). I'm not saying he should have waited and hoped for Santana but giving why not take the 32 mil you threw at Vargas over 4 years and offer Santana 2 for 30 or 1 for 16?

Comment

I'm just saying that he tried to get ahead of the market by signing Vargas and now it looks like he completely overpaid (which he did). I'm not saying he should have waited and hoped for Santana but giving why not take the 32 mil you threw at Vargas over 4 years and offer Santana 2 for 30 or 1 for 16?
                          Because Santana would have said no at the time. No one foresaw how the market for Santana would play out. If Dayton had waited until now to sign anyone, people would have been furious.

I do think there is a legitimate gripe about paying a mediocre pitcher like Vargas that kind of money, but it's not really fair to drag Santana into that discussion. Everything would have been great if Ervin had accepted the qualifying offer. Dayton wouldn't have gone after Vargas. Ervin's agent, and everyone else, misread the market and Santana said no. You can't really pin the blame for that on Moore.

Comment

Originally posted by NoPantsChico View Post
                            Yeah, the Santana fiasco isn't Dayton's fault. When the market crashed for Santana so badly, I wish we had an owner who gave a crap and authorized the budget to go a little higher when we are going for it.

now, we can argue Dayton screwed himself by giving Vargas, Chen, Hoch, and others excessive contracts (and I'd agree), but if he didn't, we'd be sitting here bitching that he didn't do anything all offseason. You can't sit around and wait for Santana to sign and hope for the best, we went out and made necessary (if not exactly great) moves.

Comment

I'm more upset that Dayton jumped the market. Garza got 4 year, 50mil which is probably out of the Royal's price range but if he wants then maybe he doesn't have to throw a 4th year at Vargas.

Or he goes and signs AJ Burnett for 1 year or Phil Hughes for 3 years, 24mil

Comment

Victor Martinez already went long on Verlander. Royals have had chances but 2 on, 2 out with Escobar up makes me sad/

Comment

Working...
                                X