Royals 2014

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royals 2014

With our new friends joining and the start of intra-squad games yesterday, might as well get this thing started.

I promise, Wheat friends, that I will try to be less negative than last year. I can't guarantee anything though. I might not even make it to April without a meltdown, depending on how the final 25-man is constructed. I will give it my best though.

Any thoughts on the upcoming year? I am predicting a nice 82-80 finish - the offense is dramatically improved, but between staff-wide regression and swapping Santana for Vargas, I don't see much improvement in the W column.

The only hope for playoffs is if Zimmer and Ventura are able to make solid impacts. Well, I guess you can add Duffy to that list. 2 of those 3 and the team is in pretty good shape.

Moose HAS to bounce back.

I predict my first meltdown on opening day when Ned makes a stupid, irrational decision.

Comment

I'll bet a substantial sum of money that Ventura finds his way down to Omaha for the first month of the season due to service time considerations.

Everyone raves about Zimmer and what he can do, but the lingering injury talks scare me. We've been through this drill before with pitchers, and it never ends well.

I have high hopes for Duffy, I really hope he can nail down the final rotation spot in the spring.

In an ideal world, Duffy gets one spot and either Hoch or Davis "Turns The Corner" (TM) to claim another spot, relegating Chen to the bullpen/swing man role. Ventura can get another year of team control by starting in Omaha, Zimmer comes back healthy, and both make an impact by July when we can trade off Guthrie and/or Vargas or someone else for spare bats.

Comment

I think Vargas will perform slightly better than expected. Not enough to justify him getting four years as he did, but I think he'll surprise the most skeptical people.

I don't think Zimmer comes up until the ASB at earliest. Maybe a little sooner if the race or injuries dictate.

For the team to be successful, Davis and Hoch can't be in the rotation.

Comment

One thing I am curious to see is if we are floating around .500 this year (like last year) around the All-Star break, do we actually try to make a move to improve the team (unlike last year)?

It's Shields' last year here, we better go all-out to try to win if we are at least in the conversation or I might burn the K to the ground.

Comment

Some of the media is already mad at Ned becauase he was a big ole meanie today. I had forgotten what a bunch of whiny little bitches they are sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by NoPantsChico View Post

For the team to be successful, Davis and Hoch can't be in the rotation.
              That's why I said "in an ideal world". But also in an ideal world, Moose hits .300 with 30 bombs, I win Powerball, and Kate Upton falls in love with me.

Comment

Ned was a bit surly.

Comment

This is the year, boys. I can feel it in my bone.

Comment

I am a bit sorry to see Kottaras go. I liked his game, but he's not the kind of player that Ned would appreciate or use particularly wisely. I think he will do well in Chicago.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteJak View Post
                      I am a bit sorry to see Kottaras go. I liked his game, but he's not the kind of player that Ned would appreciate or use particularly wisely. I think he will do well in Chicago.

Of course he will, he gets on base which is the whole point of offense in baseball.

Comment

George's power will serve him better in Chicago. There are not a lot of players who can bat .180 and have an OPS+ of nearly 100. His Wins Above Replacement (WAR) and his runs created per game last year were higher than Moustakas, Escobar, Getz, Maxwell and several others.
                        Last edited by WhiteJak; 02-26-14, 05:34 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Jhawkz5 View Post
                          Of course he will, he gets on base which is the whole point of offense in baseball.
                          No it isn't. The whole point of offense in baseball is to score runs.

Comment

Originally posted by Liljohnny View Post
                            No it isn't. The whole point of offense in baseball is to score runs.

How do you score runs? By getting on base.

Comment

First game tomorrow vs Texas at Surprise. It begins.

Comment

Working...
                              X