Bowl games ... will there be any?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowl games ... will there be any?

I read this morning that the Holiday Bowl has already been cancelled because of COVID. I think that's just the beginning. My guess is that most of the "no-name" bowl games are going to simply opt out for this season due to the pandemic. We may see the BCS bowl series take place without fans in the seats. Maybe one or two others that involve top teams from Power5 Conferences. What do you guys think? Assuming that COVID continues to ramp up through the fall and through the end of the year, do you expect most bowl games to end up getting cancelled?

And while we are on the topic, what do you think is going to happen to the basketball season? Lots of cancellations? Conference games only? No post-season?

I think a lot will depend on the upward trajectory of our lil' friend, the Coronavirus. But, no, I don't expect that most bowls will be played.

I even question the idea of the BCS Bowl series or crowning a National Champion through a playoff when the Big10 and Pac12 didn't even participate -- though I am personally enjoying watching the likes of Penn State and Ohio State rise in the polls with a recored of 0-0. Just shows how absolutely pointless the polls really are.

This entire season started as a farce and remains a farce. Covid will probably solve the problem for everyone involved before long though, so we've got that going for us.

Comment

Unless a lot of them are cancelled this is good news as there are already too many bowl games.

Comment

I tend to agree that no National Championship game will be played. I do think the major bowls will happen, though; the ones that make money anyways. Basically the BCS bowls of yesteryear. Conferences and their constituent schools will push for that TV revenue to try to float the balance sheet through 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by FrobozMumbar View Post
          I think a lot will depend on the upward trajectory of our lil' friend, the Coronavirus. But, no, I don't expect that most bowls will be played.

I even question the idea of the BCS Bowl series or crowning a National Champion through a playoff when the Big10 and Pac12 didn't even participate -- though I am personally enjoying watching the likes of Penn State and Ohio State rise in the polls with a recored of 0-0. Just shows how absolutely pointless the polls really are.

This entire season started as a farce and remains a farce. Covid will probably solve the problem for everyone involved before long though, so we've got that going for us.

I haven't even watched the polls. No doubt Penn State and Ohio State will end the Season #1 and #2, because the only way to fall in the polls is to lose a game. (My point being that I absolutely agree that polls are absolutely pointless).

However, if we can pull off even ONE upset, we'll have more wins this season that Penn State and Ohio State. I'm sure that hasn't happened for at least four or five years.

Comment

Originally posted by MissTCShore View Post

I haven't even watched the polls. No doubt Penn State and Ohio State will end the Season #1 and #2, because the only way to fall in the polls is to lose a game. (My point being that I absolutely agree that polls are absolutely pointless).

However, if we can pull off even ONE upset, we'll have more wins this season that Penn State and Ohio State. I'm sure that hasn't happened for at least four or five years.
            Penn St. lost Saturday.
            I think some bowls will cancel, I don’t see the 4 team playoff cancelling when the conferences are playing a full conference season. Of course, if COVID ramps way up, I guess anything is possible.

Comment

I recall hearing a few weeks ago that very few, if any, bowl games planned to cancel and that they'd invite losing teams if that's what it took. The networks are desperate for inventory and the bowls are desperate for participants. How desperate the schools are remains to be seen.

As far as basketball goes, if I were a betting man I'd bet that the season goes conference-only for the regular season.

Comment

Nearly a dozen college football bowl games have been cancelled because of COVID-related issues. Some 34 bowl games are still scheduled to be played, although the possibility of more cancellations is very real.

Eleven college football bowl games for the 2020-2021 season have been cancelled. Those include the Redbox Bowl, Hawaii Bowl, Bahahas Bow, Holiday Bowl, Quick Lane Bowl, Pinstripe Bowl, Sun Bowl, Celebration Bowl, Las Vegas Bowl, the LA Bowl. The New Mexico Bowl has been relocated from Albuquerque, New Mexico to Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas. It will be played on December 21 at 2:30 CT.

So, friends, it looks like the chances that KU will get invited to a bowl game this year have decreased significantly.

Comment

I don't want to live in a world without a Quick Lane Bowl.

Damn you, China Virus! Damn you to hell!

Comment

Originally posted by FrobozMumbar View Post
                    I don't want to live in a world without a Quick Lane Bowl.

Damn you, China Virus! Damn you to hell!
                    KU should play in the China is Assbowl

Comment

Working...
                    X