A few little things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few little things

The game speaks for itself, but I noticed a few little things that are very positive:

1. Les has been preaching getting many defenders to the ball. Last night it happened time after time. They are figuring it out.
    2. Downfield blocking by both receivers linemen was spot on all night. Great effort.
    3. Les has taken heat over Stanley. In a sense he chose leadership over other considerations. It is the right call and the mark of a great coach.
    4. Parker and Potter really help our depth on defense. It's going to be fun to watch them mature.
    5. Our holder should get a game ball.
    6. The body language of our team was great. It was a revelation compared to the last few years.
    7. We made some first half adjustments to that off tackle play they were running. It changed the game.
    8. Love the energy and combativeness of Corione Harris. He was on his man like a glove most of the night.
    9. BC worked hard to contain Pooka to the outside. It set Khalil up for a great game.
    10. It is fun to watch the highlights of this game. The ACC announcers were beside themselves as we took control of the game.
    11. ACC network got this game off the air just as soon as possible. I chuckled.

We are going to struggle in conference. I know that ... but we are starting to see the kind of improvement in this team that we have hoped for.

Rock Chalk!

Obviously, that was fun. But I'm not going to overreact or get my hopes up. The BC QB could not throw the ball at all. They did us a favor by not calling 100% run plays. That said, after the interception, Stanley was nails. He was hitting all his targets and fitting the ball in tight windows. It is so bizarre to feel at some point in the game that the OTHER team has no chance...

Also, I sometimes bang Stanley's former babysitter.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyDisease View Post
      Obviously, that was fun. But I'm not going to overreact or get my hopes up.
      Going to the Phog put a real damper on the fun for me. They're all convinced we've entered a new era of Kansas football and that a bowl game is now in play. It's like the first 2 games of the season never happened.

What's funny is if you go back to a year ago there are all the same threads after we blew out CMU and Rutgers in back to back games. "This team is different. You can see it.", "Man, what if we hadn't lost that close game to a scrub-ass team", etc.

Comment

Yeah. Watching this MSU-KSU game, either (unranked) team would dogwalk us.

Comment

I'm just hoping that this game was a glimpse of what Les can do with a team, and that gives me hope for our program if/when he brings in a few classes with actual talent. But until then, all of the scheming and coaching in the world, will not make this team competitive in the Big 12. I think our ceiling is more along the lines of not getting blown out as badly as in seasons past.

Comment

Originally posted by FrobozMumbar View Post
            I'm just hoping that this game was a glimpse of what Les can do with a team, and that gives me hope for our program if/when he brings in a few classes with actual talent. But until then, all of the scheming and coaching in the world, will not make this team competitive in the Big 12. I think our ceiling is more along the lines of not getting blown out as badly as in seasons past.
            Yeah if we can get to, say, 4 wins and a top 80 Sagarin ranking I’d be thrilled.

You can’t ignore blowing out a legit opponent by 24 on the road, but it doesn’t reflect our true talent level either. Also I thought BC looked really bad fwiw. Maybe it was our offense but most of our completions were to wide open guys and most of our runs saw really poor angles and tackling from the D. It reminded me of watching us play the last 10 years.

Comment

Be patient. Kansas is going to win a conference game they aren't expected to. This season. A bowl game is a realistic expectation. A coach's 1st year, and often 2nd, are filled with growing pains. Les is going to take you to bowl games consistently.

Comment

Originally posted by LARPHawk View Post

Going to the Phog put a real damper on the fun for me. They're all convinced we've entered a new era of Kansas football and that a bowl game is now in play. It's like the first 2 games of the season never happened.

What's funny is if you go back to a year ago there are all the same threads after we blew out CMU and Rutgers in back to back games. "This team is different. You can see it.", "Man, what if we hadn't lost that close game to a scrub-ass team", etc.
                There's your problem right there. Never go full phog.

Comment

Last Friday was a terrific site to behold. I’m optimistic that we could get another victory this weekend and momentum will continue to build for this team.

Comment

Originally posted by FrobozMumbar View Post
                    I mostly agree with this. If we don't beat WVU this weekend, we likely won't get a better opportunity for another win.

Losing Chip Lindsey was a major loss for Les Miles and his plans to run a different kind of offense than he's ever run. The first couple of games, he reverted back to the offense he knows best, a vanilla, pro-style run-first offense. I'll give Miles a lot of credit though, he swallowed his pride, got out of his comfort zone and made a huge change in running an RPO-style offense. Clearly this confused the BC coaches and their defense. They had to honor the run AND pass, but did neither very well. They appeared to be off-balance the entire night. Not sure we'll be able to confuse any other teams as our offense is on video now.

After shitting the bed against Coastal Carolina, I really didn't think we'd win another game - we were staring at 1-11. Now...we still may be looking at 2-10, but at least there is some optimism for another win or two (at best). My hope is we'll at least be competitive in a few more games.

Comment

I'd be pretty surprised (but far from shocked) if we don't notch any wins in our last 8 games. We'll be dogs in all of em, but even a 90% dog is gonna pick up 1 out of 8 more often than not and some of them won't be nearly that lopsided.

Comment

Hey, anyone remember a few weeks ago when we still had our hopes and dreams? That was pretty cool.

Comment

That was brutal.

Comment

Working...
                          X