Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much better will football be by just an improvement in coaching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much better will football be by just an improvement in coaching?

I really don't think Les will be Weis 2.0, and the talent; at least in the short term won't see a big increase.

Do you think we'll break the 4 win mark this season?

Approximately 36.4956249065% better.

Comment

3.5 seems like a fair line. Those first two look easy and then I imagine we're a dog in every game the rest of the way whether this year's team is the same as last year's or 10 points better.

Comment

I think if you are just talking about coaching, yes, Les is good for at least one more with with this group.
        If you want to add in play calling, then I think you can say Les is good for two more wins with this group.

I'm looking to see 4-5 wins this season, but with better play by the team. No dumb play calling and wasting timeouts.

Comment

CFP or bust. If you hire an SEC coach you have to think like an SEC fanbase imo.

Comment

For all of it's violence, football is a game of focus and organization. The Northwestern coach talks about focusing on the things you can control. Get your play calls in quickly. Don't waste time outs, avoid/reduce stupid penalties, false starts and the like. Turn overs as well. Those are all things that KU has had problems with while Beaty was the coach. His sidelines were a mess. They were poorly organized and the backups rarely were paying attention when the starters were getting coaching. The field mics caught Wise yelling, "get the gd calls in" at the sidelines in the Nicholls state game.

If my numbers are correct, Beaty went through 21 assistant coaches in four seasons. That means little continuity in coaching approach/teaching methods being presented to the players. In addition the guys who were willing to work for Beaty, except for Hull, weren't exactly top notch.

Miles is the kind guy who won't let all of that happen. He has a much better staff. They have more money for coaches but people are willing to entrust their careers to guy like Miles.

If Miles fixes this stuff, at least we start games on an even footing.

Comment

I'm still surprised of all the college programs to resume his coaching career, he picks KU.

Anybody else?

Comment

Originally posted by qwertyu123 View Post
                I'm still surprised of all the college programs to resume his coaching career, he picks KU.

Anybody else?
                Big money with relatively little pressure. He doesn't need to turn us into a national power, or even a conference power, all he has to do is unfuck our program enough so that people no longer laugh at us.

Comment

Originally posted by FrobozMumbar View Post

Big money with relatively little pressure. He doesn't need to turn us into a national power, or even a conference power, all he has to do is unfuck our program enough so that people no longer laugh at us.
                  Also no legit P5 team wanted Les. If you're any good at all you don't hire a 65 year old coach that has been out of the game boosting his IMDB profile for the last few years

Comment

I really don't think Les will be Weis 2.0.
                    I'm still waiting for Miles to sign two 5 star QB's like Coach Frontbutt did because that worked out splendidly. Wait....

Comment

All jokes aside, if you watched last year's season, we were in so many games that we ended up losing or putting ourselves out of because of bad coaching.

One that specifically comes to mind is TTU....we gave up something like 9+ points around the goal line in the first half (being conservative here, because that could have been 13 or 21 if we executed, if I remember correctly) and then ended up getting blown out

Beaty was never meant to be a head coach, but we had a *decent* team last year, relatively speaking....

All that said, we've been burned SO many times by getting our hopes up, and there's a reason (or reasons, as others have mentioned) Les doesn't have a job, so I'm not setting the bar too high in my head. I asked for competition last year, and I'd contend that, for the most part, we got it, so I would expect a couple more Ws this year....but I'm not holding my breath

Comment

The Nichols state game was a classic. They had Bowen’s defensive last second subs will scouted. Bowen sent in a different package as a late sub. Guys are running on and off the field. The offense hadn’t made a change so they didn’t have to wait. They quick snapped and our guys were out of position and not even in a football stance. Result was a 50 some yard TD run.

After the game Beaty said they were “creased.” I guess that sounds better than, “our guys were standing there with both hands on their dick trying to figure out what Clint called.”

Comment

I really don't think Les will be Weis 2.0, and the talent; at least in the short term won't see a big increase.

Do you think we'll break the 4 win mark this season?
                          4 would probably mean 2 Big XII wins, and I don't see that yet.. 2-0 to start, Boston College is still a road game, maybe KSU.

Comment

Undefeated, bitches. Hope springs eternal.

Comment

I think this will be a good opportunity for everyone to see what a good coach can bring to a team that needs the help. There are so many different aspects and rarely seen behind the scenes "stuff" that a good coach can change and/or improve.
                              It's already pretty obvious the recruiting is better and I'm already seeing some of the specialty coaching is at a higher level.
                              There will be improvement but like mentioned by others it might take a couple years for it to really start taking affect on the field.

Comment

Working...
                              X