Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bye Week Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bye Week Discussion

    So, we're 2-4, not saying much, but could be 3-3 (if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle, etc etc)

    First off, Beaty should not retain his job, IMO, I don't think anyone's going to argue that, and his play calling on offense (if he's still the one calling plays, I've heard it's Meacham, so I could be wrong) still leaves me scratching my head a lot of times...like, on 3rd and long and we pop a WR screen, like he's just hoping that we've got playmakers that can make something magical happen every time.

    Our D has been getting pressure on QBs, but just hasn't been able to get the sacks, but we had our BEST Defensive effort on Saturday (two sacks and forced punt) only to be fumbled by our returner to give them a 30 yard gain essentially...then they drove right down and our D held em to a field goal. I've seen some encouraging things from the D, but if our offense doesn't help them out some more, we're going to continue to give up a lot of points. That said, our offense moves the ball better than they have in years. I honestly think we're a serviceable QB from being OK.

    I know we still suck from a football standpoint, and I think we are this year where we should have been last year or the year before, and that is very disheartening, but games are at least fun to watch again (we've been in all of them until the second half this year, IMO)

    Anyway, gimme your thoughts...gonna be a long time before we play again

  • #2
    I think we’ve been so bad for so long that being slightly less bad starts to look good. It’s like an abused kid being happy that he’s getting beaten slightly less often.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by FrobozMumbar View Post
      I think we’ve been so bad for so long that being slightly less bad starts to look good. It’s like an abused kid being happy that he’s getting beaten slightly less often.
      Meh, if you watched the WVU game and thought we're only slightly less bad, you're way off...our run D is still trash, and they drove down the field, but our redzone D was nails...and don't give me that their QB just made bad decisions and we got lucky....we turned the heisman candidate over 4 times and a lot of that had to do with pressure

      Comment


      • #4
        I honestly think our VERY relative “success” recently is a combination of us sucking slightly less and the opposition still not taking us seriously (read: largely overlooked while teams are more concerned with who they are playing after us). How much mental, physical and emotional energy are teams really devoting to playing us?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by FrobozMumbar View Post
          I honestly think our VERY relative “success” recently is a combination of us sucking slightly less and the opposition still not taking us seriously (read: largely overlooked while teams are more concerned with who they are playing after us). How much mental, physical and emotional energy are teams really devoting to playing us?
          I mean, yeah, we still suck, but these are not games we were competitive in prior year

          Comment


          • #6
            I had predicted that if Beaty was going to be fired in-season it would be after the WVU game. In fact, I kind of expected that to happen. There are, however, several reasons why Long might not want to fire him at this time. In any case, I do think (and fervently hope) that we will have a new head coach next season.

            I'd have to say that we are improved this season, and I agree with Joe that this is about where we should have been two years ago. But as others have pointed out, we are still a very weak team, and I think we are about to find that out in the remaining games. We've benefited from turnovers to an extent that will be hard to maintain through the rest of the season.

            I must say that I am proud of the effort our players have made after all they've been through. I believe that THEY are the reason for our modicum of success (VERY relative "success" as Froboz states) and not necessarily a suddenly enlightened coaching staff.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by WhiteJak View Post
              I had predicted that if Beaty was going to be fired in-season it would be after the WVU game. In fact, I kind of expected that to happen. There are, however, several reasons why Long might not want to fire him at this time. In any case, I do think (and fervently hope) that we will have a new head coach next season.

              I'd have to say that we are improved this season, and I agree with Joe that this is about where we should have been two years ago. But as others have pointed out, we are still a very weak team, and I think we are about to find that out in the remaining games. We've benefited from turnovers to an extent that will be hard to maintain through the rest of the season.

              I must say that I am proud of the effort our players have made after all they've been through. I believe that THEY are the reason for our modicum of success (VERY relative "success" as Froboz states) and not necessarily a suddenly enlightened coaching staff.
              our turnover margin is something like 14 over 6 games, that's not a fluke and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills having to say that to otherwise rational people (not talking about you WhiteJak, just "fans" in general)

              edit: it's 13, number one in the country

              Comment


              • #8
                I appreciate how improved we really are. I want us to be good. But that’s not enough to keep him around. Or Bowen. We have zero recruits for next year as far as I can tell. And we’ll lose a huge number to graduation. It’s going to be ugly.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Am i am bad fan for wanting blowouts to ensure Beaty's ouster, or is he a dead man walking even if he manages to win a big 12 game or stay competitive? The only one i really want to win is K-State since they're down and 2008 is a long long time to go winless against your rival.

                  Also, KUGDI we literally have one recruit for the 2019 class after someone decommitted. There was an article about it on kusports yesterday.
                  Last edited by qwertyu123; 10-09-18, 01:46 PM. Reason: proper grammar and shit

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm not surprised by the improvement this season only because they were so bad last year the only place to go was up.

                    I'm starting to hear things from my daughter about a possible new coach coming in at the end of this year. She only knows because her boyfriend is on the football team. According to what she heard, nothing is signed and sealed, but there are discussions with a former head coach of a major college. That's all I know. She didn't give me a name. What a tease!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Les Miles, Bo Pelini, Steve Spurrier, who else???

                      I need answers!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        at this point, we have no reason to believe it's anyone other than Bielema (sp), if it's actually a former coach of a major college

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by qwertyu123 View Post
                          Les Miles, Bo Pelini, Steve Spurrier, who else???

                          I need answers!
                          Mark “The Answer” Mangino

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Bielema would be my thought, but that's assuming that rumor is true. My personal favorite of the "realistic" candidates is Schiano and fits that criteria too.

                            I'd be shocked if any news or rumors of that magnitude trickled down to the players, especially while Beaty is still in place.

                            ETA McElwain would fit the bill too.

                            Kiffin would too... there are more of those guys floating around than I realized

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post

                              our turnover margin is something like 14 over 6 games, that's not a fluke and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills having to say that to otherwise rational people (not talking about you WhiteJak, just "fans" in general)

                              edit: it's 13, number one in the country
                              I don't think that the turnover margin is a fluke. We are making fewer technical mistakes overall on both sides of the ball and we are managing field position a little better.

                              However, we also have a very tough schedule coming up. When you are #1 in turnover margin and #92 in sacks and # 80 something in total defense and have a tough schedule coming up, it is probably cause for concern. I anticipate that there will be a "centering" effect on those turnovers. I wish I could find some statistics for quarterback "hurries" but I haven't so far. At any rate I'll take take that margin, it's a darn sight better than it's been since the Mangino days. My sense is that Miller brings some expertise that we've been missing, It seems he works well with Bowen and that has contributed to the breakthough, and they have stabilized some aspects of the defense.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X